REVISED VERSION: Preparing Your Quilt Top for the Longarm Quilter

A few weeks ago I requested information from all of you as I prepared to do a "Round Robin" Guild presentation. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed. I also said I would post the information as soon as I compiled it. So...here it is (I hope I can get it to post).

If I missed acknowledging anyone, please let me know. My talk will be on Tuesday, so I have time to make the changes. Or, if you see any mistakes, or think of something to add, please let me know. I plan to stop at Staples after work on Monday to make the copies so I can use them as a handout.

BTW...I placed a small order from Quilters Dream and I asked for some samples. I was sent 48 small batting sample packets PLUS.....2 door prizes! One is a Dream Poly Throw and the other is Dream Green craft size. Since I will have 3 groups rotating through, I am throwing in a Dream Blend Craft size batt, soo. I think that giving everyone a handout of these instructions, a sample batting packet, and a door prize for each group will be great.

Let me know what you think.

PREPARING YOUR QUILT TOP FOR THE LONGARM QUILTER-November 2011.pdf

Since I posted this last night, I have a few revisions to make. It is the same info, but with a bit of "refinement." Heidi...I am also correcting Merril to Merrill. I knew how to spell your name, but still typed it incorrectly. Anne (from Vermont)pointed that out to me (thanks again, Anne).

I'll repost tonight, after I make some changes. I want to wait most of the day, in case someone else picks up something.

BTW...please feel free to use this information as you see fit. "Pass it along."

Only one thing tht popped out at me and that was the instructions about the borders. We all know you mean to measure before putting the borders on but I didn't read it that way. Perhaps though if they measure as they are getting ready to take to the longarmer, and realize there's some differences, they might fix the borders prior to taking the top to the quilter. Otherwise, I think it is great and would love to share it with my LQG.

Heidi, thanks also from me for making this into a PDF so I could read it, Sandra, very good information - I love that you are helping to educate folks on the prep that goes into preparing a quilt top for professional quilting. It should make your job alot easier! I've often thought it should be included in quilt books as part of the general instructions at the end of a book or magazine.....

Oh Sandy I know your presentation will be very well recieved by everyone! Wish I could be there to win a door prize. ;)

Several years ago I dowloaded a PDF creator software (very cheap, as in FREE!!! :P) and I use it alot! It will convert anything you have into pdf format.

Here's a link to download pdf creator.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Sandra,

I was going to suggest that since you did your document in Microsoft must be almost 2010 version since it is a docx file, that many people with earlier versions would not be able to open/save it.

If you go into File then click on save as, you will get a drop down box with different types of iles to save it as. PDF is down the list a fair bit, but it should be there.

Just save it as a PDF yourself.

This is a great document, thank you for sharing it with us, and thanks to those who shared with Sandra and helped to make it possible.

One thing that comes to mind is informing the longarmer of the purpose of the quilt. Is is a donatiion quilt, a drag around baby quilt, personal, gift, etc., and is it going into a show.

Thanks so much, Heidi. I appreciate your help with this project, along with everyone else who contributed their ideas, and even some editing help. This is really a group project, so I hope many people can benefit from it. The more we educate our customers, and other quilters who use their domestic machines, the better for all quilters. I'm now excited to do this at the Guild meeting.

After the quilt I tried to press yesterday morning....you might want to add info on how to put sashings on blocks. I have pictures at home. It is awful. Pressing didn't help because the sashings are plaid scraps stitched together and added where ever there was a space to squeeze them in (or not). I'm returning it to the customer as I cannot do anything to make it look good and I would not put my name on it.

Archived