Green & Pink Medallion Sampler/cable info added

I used 40 wt. white Aurifil for much of the quilting. On the green, I used King Tut 'Fahl Green'. On the border, I used Rainbows 'Rose Garden' (the old colorway -- they have changed it now). For the feathering surrounding the medallion, I used Rainbows 820 (a light variegated lime green). I also used white, magenta and pink Bottom Line. I get a lot of joy out of picking threads -- it was something totally new to me when I got my longarm. Before, when I pieced, fabric was the 'candy'; once I got the longarm, thread became candy, too. :D:)

post--1346190761305_thumb.jpg

Although it can't be seen very well, I really wanted to put a cable on this quilt, so I did. I probably should have done piano keys, due to the wavy borders and the budget, but I felt the cable would really make the quilt. I did have to meander around the cable, to get the border to lie flat.

post--13461907613383_thumb.jpg

The quilting is awesome on the quilt. I am in awe of how you kept your cables evenly spaced. I am terrified of cables!. That is why I stay with swirley-twirley things. Much more organic! Then I can say I meant it to look that way! Thanks for posting your thread choices. All those decisions resultd in a wonderful quilt

Originally posted by quietlifeaz

Did you use a stencil or template for your cable?

Thank you all. This quilt pattern and fabric was so uplifting to look at, that it was fun to quilt. I used the 6" Double Cable stencil from The Stencil Company:

http://quiltingstencils.com/search.aspx?find=SCO-010-06

I marked the lines with blue water soluable pen and then freehanded the lines. Because the cable was being quilted on a busy fabric and was a young girl's functional quilt, I felt I could get away with freehanding.

If this had been an heirloom job, I would have taken more time and used a ruler to follow the lines more closely. But, even better, I would have used the lines as spines and done feathers, as multiple feathers don't show slight variations in quilting like single lines do (!)

post--13461907645737_thumb.jpg

Archived