Do you have an iPad?

I want to be able to import a picture of my client's quilt and then draw on it. Adobe makes a program that I think will let me do this...on my phone or on an iPad.

What do you guys do?

I'm trying to decide if an iPad is worth the expense or if I just have a bad case of the "I wants.":D:D

Hi Dory

yes you should be able to do this on an iPad . I have the iPad 2 and it is great. There are loads of photo/drawing apps available. you should also be able to use a stylus to draw instead of your fingers. Another great thing is if you have a iTunes account now with Apples new ICloud when you take a photo say with your iPhone it will automatically go to the iPad and your computer, so you would not have to import it manually.

I have resisted all the istuff......used a mac in the early days and was not impressed and have never used an apple product since. Though the "gadgets" have looked interesting I never really needed any of them. In the last week my hubby has been asking me if I need an IPad or a Kendall fire (I have taken to listening to books on tape while I quilt and quite like it, but would like a small device with wireless earbuds rather than my current set up)....and I told him no...Kendall is too limited Ipad is too much $ for this application..........but now this idea!!!!!

Man this forum is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!! :D

Dory my son just won an Ipad. He said that he was really glad that he did not buy it. Mostly he just surfs the net, while my DDIL watches bad TV...his words not mine. The comment that struck me most was.... The Ipad is designed for consumption not production. That pretty much kept me from wanting on.

But then my son would not be taking pictures of quilts and auditioning quilt designs on it........ and it would be a business expense. LOL

I have an ipad 2 and I really like it for what it is designed for. I can use it to get online but I can't really use it for more than taking notes at work but there are times that is very helpful. I like it because it is a great take along and easy to use. I have not downloaded any of the aps for drawing and I need to figure out how to add files and delete files. Just haven't had time to play that much with it but it sure would be nice to use it like I use paint and my tablet.

My two cents....I am writing this from Tahiti! Not only can I draw but I have a navigator, I can make phone calls for free from anywhere in the world on a free app, i stay in touch with family, friends and business. I have music, movies, photos and most everything from my Mac on it. I have apps for all my financial institutions so I can take care of business and it weighs a fraction of my Macbook. I also log my dives, draw, convert currency, translate english into whatever language. This thing is worth every penny. JMHO

I have the iPad 1. I've had it for almost 2 yrs. Never had a problem with it. I would love the iPad 2 for the face to face camera---but, I'll live! :) I use Adobe Ideas for drawing, and yes you can draw quilt patterns over a photo with it. I basically just audition design or practice drawing designs with Adobe Ideas. It's a neat App!

post--13461907658396_thumb.jpg

I don't upload photos and draw on them very often as I usually do that on a piece of plexiglass and lay it over the quilt block on the frame. But, here is what it Adobe Ideas will look like drawing over a photo. There are many drawing apps for the iPad, but this is my favorite, and the one I use the most. This app is sort of like a white board , etch a sketch all rolled into one! only better as you can save all your drawing. There are also different colors for drawing, and density or width of the design line. I use an iPad stylus to draw, rather than my finger tip. But, both work well.

post--13461907658825_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by nineva

My two cents....I am writing this from Tahiti! Not only can I draw but I have a navigator, I can make phone calls for free from anywhere in the world on a free app, i stay in touch with family, friends and business. I have music, movies, photos and most everything from my Mac on it. I have apps for all my financial institutions so I can take care of business and it weighs a fraction of my Macbook. I also log my dives, draw, convert currency, translate english into whatever language. This thing is worth every penny. JMHO

Okay, Nancy, you're busted!!!:D:P

While I really appreciate the info on the iPad 2 and have now convinced myself that I really must have one, you only responded for one reason. You just wanted to rub it in that you're in Tahit, the rest of us aren't!!!!!!:P:P:P

You guys are GREAT!!! This is the info I wanted and you've really helped, as usual. Shana, I'm going to e-mail Sherry too, thanks!

I have Adobe Ideas, but its on my phone. I use it to draw designs, but quilt pics on a little phone aren't really an option.

And...Business Expense...perfect!!!!

And, yes, quietlifeaz...this forum is addicting and expensive...and way fun!!!

• 2 years later...

Archived