Stymied - really stymied - now finished

The quilt I'm working on - the customer has purple backing and the top is below. She did NOT want me to use cream in the bobbin when doing the cream areas. I did email her letting her know that either the cream might show in spots on the back or the purple thread for the backing will show on the top. No matter what I do to even out the tension - it just isn't going to be "perfect". I haven't done a quilt like this as I've always changed the thread color to match the top thread.

What would you have done?

I finished it and she said if there were any little purple spots in the cream areas on the front - she was ok with it. Can't see 'em when looking at the full quilt but they're there. The two motifs in the butterflies are Anne Bright designs.

post--13461907721151_thumb.jpg

You were correct in sending her a heads-up about the potential non-matching thread problems. I am very accommodating to my customers but have found that I can verbally stress where I see problem areas and usually turn them away from a potential disaster. YOU are the professional and have extensive experience and training with your machine so all warnings need to be listened to. ;)

Hi Laura - heads up to the customer is the best you can do - if she isn't willing to hear what you are saying (& get it in writing) then you must go with the customer. Thicker (double) batting does help but then again, customer would have to be willing to pay. Maybe take a close up picture of the front & back of what you have done so far and send it off to her showing her what you are facing - with pictures in hand, she just might change her mind. The other option is to use a lighter purple for the bobbin in the white areas - the light purple might not be as glaring on the back and the little bit of thread poking may not be as noticeable. Just a thought.

Thanks Meg - did send her a picture and framed the little areas that showed a few little purple dots. I'm finding that the tension, of course, changes depending on the direction of moving the sewing head. She wanted the back to have all one color - so changing to a lighter purple in some areas wouldn't have worked either.

Using Hobbs 80/20. Not thick enough for sure. I hope she doesn't change her mind 'cause I'll have to tell her there will be an extra hourly charge for any time I spend on frogging.

I had this problem once, and I did what the customer wanted. I hated it, she was okay with it.

But right after that I made a small little project to use as a shop sample. Now when someone comes in wanting a different thread on top and bottom....I pull out that sample so they have a visual.

Note to audience (DON'T Tell) I did mess with the tension just a little to exagerate the effect on the sample.......

All you can do is be honest with your customer. On a side note I find that I have the best luck with the magna bobbins. Rarely get pokies when using white with another color. Down side is there aren't lots of color options for the thinner threads. If you can use white you're good. They have recently added new colors but most of those aren't colors I'd use. White and Cream are and mabye the Navy for a few.

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't heard back from her so am quilting on. I'll try my white sample Magna Glide after this quilt is done. Can't do it now. Also like the idea of having a small sample to show them what's what with the tension - great idea!

Archived