Ninepatch & Trianges -- need ideas DONE w/ Photos

You could CC all the half square triangles and the four gold blocks in the nine patches using a gold thread--maybe Rheingold or Metro to give it some ooomph. Then mark matching-sized squares in the black sashings and a diagonal line across the squares to match the diagonals in the opposite half-squares--CC those in heavy black Metro. Catch the five black squares in the nine patch as you go--again CC's. Now all that's left are all those big black squares. Hmmm... Geometrics would be good. If you have a QZ, innumerable designs could fit and not be too frilly. Even a big twirly McT design stitched in black would be effective. If you want the "prominent" squares to stand out, mark and stitch those same CC's in half-square mode in the blocks intersected by the sashings and save the intricate stuff for those surrounded black blocks. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but I can see it in my head and I know that you know what I mean! ;)

I appreciate your idea, Linda. I'm going to sit down in the morning with a pen and try to follow what you are saying. I was looking thru my favorites to try to spur some ideas and have decided to try Kathy/Tamarack's idea of the curved echoed border using Deloa's boomerang. Any other ideas from others are welcome!

No idea if it would work, Leaves might work in the sashing, and a special design in the black blocks and the black pieces at intersections.. Maybe like a dog house, or a bird house, or a design you make up.. A large maple leaf with veins thru it and a nice stem.

Nice quilt for the occasion, yet has nice brights setting it off.

Sorry for the divorce.

I used Kathy/Tamarack's previous post of a curved and echoed border for the plain black squares and border. In order to keep the time and cost of this job down, I did 2" wide echoes. I used Deloa's 12" boomerang. It was challenging, but do-able, the hardest part being figuring out how to turn the borders. Each border turned out different, but luckily I am okay with 'character' and no longer need perfection. :P

post--13461907772425_thumb.jpg

I was pleased to be able to use a new Superior Rainbows thread called 'Turning Leaves' #857. It matched the yellow and sage green batik inner border and ninepatches perfectly. Then, instead of using black Bottom Line on top, I chose a very dark teal #647. It still 'matched' the black fabric, but had a little more interest and went with the Autumn Leaves thread well. I recently expanded my SuperBobs pre-wound colors, and used Dark Gray #649 in the bobbin. The backing was black and white, so the dark gray looked better than black would have, and also did not contrast so much with the top threads.

Thank you all for your help. I would say that the quilting done of this quilt is truly a product of ideas from this forum!!!

post--13461907772669_thumb.jpg

Archived