Does anyone else have neck trouble after quilting all day?

Just thought I'd ask as it seems like this week now that I've gotten back to quilting again, my neck seems to bother me. I am working on a baltimore album quilt with lots of stitching around things and crosshatching so I'm really up close to the quilt. I've tried standing, sitting and moving my saddle seat up and down to different heights, is there a correct way to be sure I 'm sitting at my machine at the right height? Anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions?

I have that problem too. It is much worse when I use my Gammill Classic, than when I use my APQS Ult2. The difference is that I stand at the Gammill, and the table does not have power lift. At my Ult2 I sit on a saddle stool, and the table has power lift. I have found that if I lift the table high, or set my stool low the strain is reduced. That said, even when the height is correct, if I do a lot of detail work, I do feel it in my shoulders/neck. Jim, APQS Ult2 w I/S Turbo, Quiltazoid, etc.

You are getting to tense while quilting. Need to take more breaks and stretch. Also is the height of the machine correct. If you hunch over to much that will add to it. If you dont have the lifts I would suggest taking more stretch breaks and use a timer to remind you to get into a spot where you can take ten. Also keep what your working on closer to the front.

Vicki Do you have a bliss table? Do you have quilt quilt glide that would really help relieve the stress? If not find a SLOW speed in manual that works for you . It will be easier. I also keep my handles pretty low. You are doing very intense work and your muscles are out of practice. Take breaks and do shoulder shrugs, forward and backwards. Stand and do neck rolls while relaxing your shoulders reaching to the floor with your arms at your sides feet shoulder width apart Do these things before you start quilting as well to warm up your neck and shoulder muscles.

We should get together sometime soon we are so close to each other.

Thanks Everyone,

Myrna, No I do not have bliss or M&M wheels, I do have edgeriders though and plan to go with the m&m's when they wear out...I also use my micro handles alot which I am sure adds to the muscle stress but I love being able to get down so close to what I am doing....would love to get together sometime.

Also, I use a neck warmer with ibuprofen at the end of the day...:), and I do adjust my stool up and down to see what works best, guess I need to take more breaks and stretch.and keep closer to the front...you all know how it is....you get to quilting and get into the "zone" and don't realize how fast time flys by.....

Neck pain was driving me nutso; found out last week that much of it is bone and disc related.. Am in a neck brace and that helps so much, I'm surprized. Terrific releaf both at the quilter, and anywhere I am looking down for more than a few minutes.

I don't have near as much trouble when I look and work towards the back, as when working closer to me.

Good luck ladies.. it's no fun is it?

Guest Linda S

Vicki - I too have a lot of trouble. Of course, I've been in a lot of car accidents (my brother says my car has a bullseye on the back that is only visible by idiots), and then I injured my back in a fall. When my neck gets tight, there is a wonderful cure -- It's called a Homedics heated shiatsu massage pillow. I either use it at the end of the day or, if I'm getting really stiff at any time during the quilting, I take a break and have a massage session. It works wonders!!

post--13461907992164_thumb.jpg

I had been having lots of trouble since last March. I doctored for months, went for massages and then to a chiropractor - all with only temporary help until my chiropractor suggested Yoga. I now take a yoga/tai chi/pilates class 3 times a week and have got most of my motion and flexibility back and I'm not dealing with pain anymore. Also no more massage, no more doc and no more chiropractor.

I too have neck pain, but have learned to try and take a break from time to time. I have arthritis in my neck so for me it just one of the things I have learned to put up with. Linda S thank you for the thought about the pillow and Myrna thanks also for some good tips.

Originally posted by victoriasews

I had been having lots of trouble since last March. I doctored for months, went for massages and then to a chiropractor - all with only temporary help until my chiropractor suggested Yoga. I now take a yoga/tai chi/pilates class 3 times a week and have got most of my motion and flexibility back and I'm not dealing with pain anymore. Also no more massage, no more doc and no more chiropractor.

same answer for me....i have a small pilates chair in my studio and i break after every bobbin or 2 and do an arm, neck & back stretch. works like a charm!

I had a 4 vertabrae cervical fusion shortly before purchasing my machine. Neck issues are ongoing. I find that a long skinny rice bag work well and is easy to throw around a neck while quilting. Keeps my neck from getting stiff and crampy. Also frequent breaks and neck and shoulder rolls.

I listen to allot of music when I quilt so every chance I get (changing bobbins, starts and stops) I "dance it out". Helps with the kinks and the attitude!!! The other day my grand son came into my studio and caught me dancing, the look on his face lol, priceless.

I do many of the other things suggested here too, but the dancing is really work'n for me.:)

Archived