I should have taken Sunday off

It was a rainy afternoon yesterday so I thought I'd just hunker down and finish the customer quilt I was working on. I was quilting away with no cares until I advanced the quilt and realized my tension had gotten messed up causing loops and knots on the back. GRRR! I decided to "skin" that row and about 1/3 of the previous one with my cool little tool that looks kind of like a curved scalpel. Actually, it acts like a scalpel too. I found that out as I sliced into my thumb and the blood started running. I wrapped it up, got a bandage and back I went to skinning. Within 5 minutes that blasted tool sliced into my forefinger. With 2 bandages and a rubber glove I was able to finish the skinning project and I think I've got the tension fixed but, overal, not my most fun quilting day!

I've mentioned this before but those expensive "quilt" skinning tools are basically a scalpel sold in most farm supply stores for castrating baby pigs. They really are sharp. If you can get to a store like this you can buy the handle and the blades really cheap! My grandmother was a tailor and she always used a small very sharp folding knife to rip things out. She must have sharpened that blade a lot over the years.;)

Originally posted by dancingraisin

Ouch! My mother always uses the phrase "bled like a stuck pig." Now that we know these are scalpels for castrting pigs . . . . .

So sorry Julie for all the trouble and pain. The quoted listed above just made me laugh out loud. I sorely needed a laugh today. Thanks!

Jewels, sorry you had a bad day and cut yourself. Sounds like something I would do to myself!

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

.... those expensive "quilt" skinning tools are basically a scalpel sold in most farm supply stores for castrating baby pigs. .......you can buy the handle and the blades really cheap!

This is good info to know. Thanks for sharing. I have one of these scalpel tools and I wanted to buy more replacement blades.

Archived