Professional vs. Amateur question

My Guild is discussing offering quilts for sale in a retail setting at our public functions. I spoke to our president today and mentioned that I read somewhere that once someone has made and then sells a quilt, they are considered a "professional" for entry in some show settings. Does anyone have a reference I can email her? I know I read this a year or so ago and can't remember if it was in a magazine or a quilt show information site. Any help?

I may not agree with it, but I remember the statement was put forth that any exchange of money or services made someone a professional--whether it was making a baby quilt and selling it to a co-worker or charging $40 to apply binding. We are planning to sell quilts with a commission going the the Guild and many members wouldn't want to lose their "amateur" standing...

Guest Linda S

Linda - I guess it varies. Here is a link to the pdf of the rules for our county fair. Anyone who receives money for a hobby or business has to enter pro class, and we only get to enter one quilt. Also, we're only eligible for ribbons, no premiums. I got my blue ribbon for pro-class, so I've not entered again.

http://www.atthefair.com/UserFiles/File/P%20-%20Textiles%202011(5).pdf

Very interesting post Linda, I was just looking at the registration for the NQA Show in Columbus, Ohio. I don't remember seeing any designation for amateur or professional status. This show is judged, but not juried so I don't know if that makes a difference. I am going to read through the registration again.

I don't enter many shows, except our local guild show so this subject has not been brought to my attention. This is an eye opener for me.

Linda, I think since it is the "Guild" selling the items and not a specific person, no one individual within the guild will become a "professional". Our guild has a booth at about 4 craft fairs a year and the members donate all sorts of crafts to sell- not just quilted items. I do not think that makes anyone a professional who has donated. I am assuming the items are donated or reimbursed for expenses only- or the quilts done by a group of people. Or are the quilts being sold by a specific person? Then it may be an issue-

Each fair or show has their own specific guidelines for the "Professional" class - Some just say having sold more than 1 quilt, or over $2000 a year or acting in a professional manner - having business cards, advertising, etc (using IRS rules for business VS hobby) . I do not think there is any one specific answer.

We will be selling members quilts two ways. The member can donate the item for the benefit of the guild. Or the item is sold with a 15% commission going to the guild.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been able to find specifics but I think it was in a magazine article. I just wanted guild members to have options for future quilt show entry. The prez is having some research done by our resident legal brain--who caused quite a stir when she did a short presentation on copyright issues last year!:P

At our Guild show, a professional is defined as someone who quilts for hire...not someone who makes money from selling quilts, teaching quilting or writing books.

At Houston, I believe that anyone can enter their own quilts (no separate 'professional' categories) but if a quilt has been quilted by a second person and money has changed hands, that quilt is not eligible for the show. If a quilt has been made by more than one person, both must have been equally involved in the whole project from conception...not just top by one & quilting by another.

Originally posted by Snowflake

To me, a donation is freely given and then it is no longer yours, so whatever the donee does with it is not connected to you, as in a donation of an item for a raffle, you as the donar receive no money but the "group" does.

Just mho.

This will be a retail store with the members quilts on consignment. So the owner will get money for their quilt, with a percentage going to the guild. So really, the quilts are sold to benefit the owner.

Well, having been intimately familiar with this subject, I will offer from my experience.

At our Fair if one derives ANY income from quilting, quilts, quilt instruction, etc; you are considered a professional quilter. No distictions is made about $ amount, size of item sold, number of items sold, quality of work, size of machine, etc. ANY income is the term.

Since judging at the Fair last year and receiving $75 for my services, I am now a "professional".

Originally posted by newellyn

Well, having been intimately familiar with this subject, I will offer from my experience.

At our Fair if one derives ANY income from quilting, quilts, quilt instruction, etc; you are considered a professional quilter. No distictions is made about $ amount, size of item sold, number of items sold, quality of work, size of machine, etc. ANY income is the term.

Since judging at the Fair last year and receiving $75 for my services, I am now a "professional".

I forgot about the "Great Pro Debate" that surrounded you for a while!:P Sure--we laugh now, but it was terrible at the time! Thanks Lynda--we can get our heads together soon at Moxies and I'll share this with my guild. I have a email waiting response from several sources.

Thanks to all for their answers.

Wow I am blown away! I don't speak up often but this urks my butt. I feel that if you have a business licence, advertise, have someone sign a form ect. then you are a pro. if you make a quilt for a friend and charge her 10.00 that does not make you a pro. Good grief if your mechanic puts a bandaid on your finger does that make him/her a doctor????? And shows wonder why the turn out has slowed down......Ok done venting Jacque

I tossed this out at my small bee group yesterday and one thing someone mentioned was--if what you are doing--offering quilts for sale, selling to co-workers or at a craft fair, selling on etsy, charging to sew on binding for your guild-mates, etc--if any government body could find fault in what you are doing, you are a professional!! Obviously if you have a business license, we know you are a pro. BUT, if Uncle Sam or your Governor want a cut--either income tax, SSI, or sales tax--then you are a "closet professional", even if you don't collect or pay the fees. I thought she had a valid point!;)

Interesting discussion....

I have a business license so that I can be "legitimate" in my county and so I don't get turned in to the county by any jealous women. And to keep things honest with my government, I report all income and pay taxes accordingly. Others may not be so truthful, and that is their business, not mine. Even though I have a "business", if anyone were to see my work, I certainly would never be mistaken for a pro, probably not even a good amateur :D

In this day and age with all the gadgets and tools and computers available to quilters, I'm not sure I agree with labeling someone a "pro" because they have taken a few dollars here and there. I come with no certification, no college degree for quilting, can't support myself with its income, and haven't dedicated my life to this as a career. And it certainly doesn't even come close to covering what expenditures I have out so far.

So I think it stinks that we taxpayers get labeled as "pros" because we've collected a buck or two. :mad: :mad: :mad:

In the real world, maybe they should consider that once you have won X number of ribbons in high class shows, maybe, just maybe then you might should be classified as a pro.

Sorry for the vent. :(

Man I wish I could put my hands on the article its in the basement in the huge stack of nagazines, but do remeber it being written by a quilting lawyer. Basically if I remeber correctly that as soon as you accept any amount of money for whatever the crafty project you step into the "Professional" category.

The article is a about 3-4 years olds and the quilter was from Colorado.

It really does depend on the show.

One guild that I belong to, I am not considered a professional, as you have to make a certain amount of money quilting, which I do, but you also have to have won a best of show or a viewer's choice ribbon at a show and since I have never entered a show where there is voting or judging (until this weekend) I don't qualify.

However, at one of the fairs around here, you are a professional if you make or have ever made any money quilting a quilt, selling your quilts (even table runners count), teaching a class, and I think there are a couple of other things, but I can't remember them.

So, know the rules and don't jump into the professional category if you don't have to - it's a hard, cruel world at that level! ;)

Archived