Taos quilt - how to quilt?

This is my sister's quilt and I need ideas on how to quilt it. Also, what would you recommend for thread color(s)? I think thread should match the background, but what do you think for the colored areas? Help! Please scribble away and show me what you think would look good for quilting. Thanks!! :)

post--13461908422896_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Judy Bland

Beautiful colours and super piecing, is that a deliberate "mistake" just down from the top left corner, seems 2 triangles have escaped?

Thank you, Judy! I called my sister and she looked at the quilt and said that she goofed! :P She will fix it and thanks you for catching it. The diamonds are not made from triangles so she has no idea how she made this mistake.

Hi Carmen! I don't have a way to draw on the photo, so I will share what I would stitch.

It's so beautiful--the colors are great! I would quilt down all the cream with a medium filler design using matching thread. Make all the pretty shapes the focus. Dark gold thread would be the default color for the piecing, but wouldn't turquoise be pretty?

CC the diamonds in the inner and outer star. Then pick a design to fit all the square-in-a-square blocks--maybe a spiral. The ones with the added brown diamonds--CC those diamonds as you get to them. The stars in the center area need a design of their own--something curvy like scrolls to fill them center-out. The stars aren't symmetrical--there's that added brown square--so scrolls can catch that extra block. The yellow/brown/turquoise blocks in the corners--CC everything except the yellow. That will accentuate the "sun" look of those--very Navaho-looking.

The border--SID the narrow brown borders, and stitch up/down C scrolls on the orange. Or crosshatch them if you want a counterpoint to other curvy stitching. The outer border--all filler and CC's.

SPOILER ALERT--upper left of the outer border--the segment that looks like an "X" is missing the top yellow triangles to complete the pattern. (How was the border able to fit with that segment missing? Do some measuring and give her a chance to fix it, maybe???)

I can see in my head a design for the inner stars. I can draw and post it, or email it to you if you like.

edited--I see you caught the boo-boo...;)

Linda, thank you for all of the ideas for quilting. Any drawings that you can post would be greatly appreciated, and now that we know Barb will have one to quilt perhaps the drawings will benefit her, also.

I haven't mastered CC, do you think TT will be OK, perhaps with a swirly dollop in the middle?

I'm piecing this quilt right now - I didn't buy the kit, just the pattern. My colors are pretty similar, but a bit less "blue/green" - anyway, I love it. I hate to do this, but the quilting will be panto or freehand, because that's what the customer wants, but I already know I'm going to make another one just for me . . . I bought my pattern from Lori's Country Cottage in Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada. http://www.loriscountrycottage.com/BlockoftheMonth/Block_of_the_Month.html#Taos Please post pictures once you're done!

Archived