Free hand or do you mark with chalk etc?

First--don't be afraid of not being perfect! It's called "freehand", not "precise/perfecthand"!

Second--mark as extensively as you need to in order to be happy with your quilting. I have mentored several newbies and the thing I tell them to practice is control of the machine. If you can hit the mark...er, line, you are more than halfway there!

If I'm doing CC's, I mark the first several to get into the groove and maintain spacing. If I am stitching blocks, I may mark the first couple and then just add guide marks as I get comfortable. And some simple things I don't mark at all.

You will find as you progress that you'll know when you need to start with some marking.

(I even mark the first sections of overalls just to set the size decided upon and re-familiarize myself with placement.)

Linda said it well. I will sometimes mark with chalk the beginning feathers, leaves or whatever I'm putting on a spine or I will mark the first handful or so of something that is going to be repeated in a row just to get a feel for the size and possibly the stitch path. Honestly sometimes when I start to stitch I get nervous so I'll stop and mark before I go any further and that puts me back in my comfort zone. Don't forget to practice, practice, practice your new designs with pencil and paper or on a chalk board or dry erase board first. That will help the muscle memory. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It works. So hang in there and keep practicing.

I usally only mark if I am trying to keep a repeating pattern about the same size....or to help remind me which direction I should be heading...I mostly use chalk or if on a lighter fabric I use the purple air erase marker. Never had any problems with either one!

No marking for me, it just means trying to get the marks off and there lies a whole world of hurt. I doubt I will ever be perfect, but I got a lot better when I stopped worrying about it. Just go for it and see what you can do. Most people won't be able to see the 'faults' even if you try pointing them out so don't worry so much.

Ferret

I had a hard time with this too. I kept thinking that my pathways had to perfect...then I talked with a seasoned LA'r that submits entries to the huge 'name' shows...she told me that we are always harder on ourselves than we need be and that when we quilt we are so close to the project that she recommends standing back or leaving the project for a few hours..then going back to it. Also she said that freehand is just that, perfect is usually computerized the two should not be confused with each other.... I am still trying to get over myself and just do it !

I still get a little of the jitters when ever I start a quilt. So all this advice you been given is wonderful. I never thought about marking the first few bits to get me going. Thanks.

Right now I'm working on a gorgeous applique quilt my customer spent a whole year putting together. I'd been overly cautious about how "perfect" my lines were etc. She came out to make a few final design decisions and I showed her some echo quilting I'd just finished but wasn't quite satisfied with. I showed her and mentioned that I was thinking about taking it out as I wasn't completly satisfied with the stitching. All she said was, "GOD NO. It looks fine."

It's good that we are particular about our stitching as it pushed us to the next level. But all the responses you've been given are right, the customers really don't expect perfection from freehand.

Good luck.

Linda

I often mark targets. Say I'm going to do a feather wreath, I'll mark the outside, inside and center and then freehand the feathers. If I want to get the feel I'll mark the first couple of feathers. If I'm doing a freehand feather border I often mark the spine with chalk and use it merly as a guide. The more comfortable you the get the less you'll have to mark. Do what works for you. I love stencils. If I have shapes that I want to stitch with a loopy meander I'll mark the basic outline, say a butterfly, or just a circle that tells me it is time to drop in a motif and then looop too and from. Do what works for you.

Originally posted by DottyRN

I am trying to learn new things but am scared of not being "PERFECT" how did you guys learn new designs? do you mark your quilts, use pantos or just have great artistic ability?:)

First of all, there is no such thing as "perfect" so get over that part. ;)

And regarding marking, I only mark when I absolutely need to (-- either using white chalk for reference lines - or blue water soluable) And marking is done with a "very" light touch. Just enough to see what you're needing to see. Don't use colored chalks. White only. Or use the white Clover pens that come out with steam or water.

I remember when I first got my machine I kept getting dizzy whenever I'd use it. Then I figured out I was holding my breath the whole time!

Give yourself permission to make mistakes. Give yourself permission to screw up. Give yourself permission to LEARN.

Stand back 8 feet from the quilt. If you can't see the oopsie, then it isn't a mistake.

I don't mark unless I have to! Look at the piecing because sometimes just the seam intersections in the piecing is all the marking you need.

Many times when I think I need to stop and frog I just stop, ponder over it a bit, think of the big picture and keep going. Nine times out of ten I have not been able to figure out where I wanted to frog after it's all said and done. If it's obvious and I can't stand my quilting, by all means I rip out. Hopefully I've figured this out before I've stitched too much!.

I like to use Golden Threads tracing paper. Lay it over my quilt and gently draw designs to get ideas before quilting. I also have a square of acrylic that I lay over the quilt and use white-board markers on. Often I gently mark my quilt as the others have mentioned above.

I gave up perfection a long time ago and just do the very best I can do. Perfection is not my job, that's His. Doing my best is my job.

Originally posted by AHuffman

I remember when I first got my machine I kept getting dizzy whenever I'd use it. Then I figured out I was holding my breath the whole time!

Give yourself permission to make mistakes. Give yourself permission to screw up. Give yourself permission to LEARN.

Stand back 8 feet from the quilt. If you can't see the oopsie, then it isn't a mistake.

I don't mark unless I have to! Look at the piecing because sometimes just the seam intersections in the piecing is all the marking you need.

Good advice! I also had some good advice early on, I was told you're trying too hard to hit the mark, relax and remember if you miss a little only you will know....

Archived