National Quilt Championships and Prometheus - now with link to photos

Ferret, thanks for posting the pictures, I loved looking at all of the detail - I'll bet it is even more stunning in person. If you don't mind, I have two questions for you... how long have you been quilting? And when you do a project like this, do you plan it all out or just the bones and do what comes into your head while you are quilting?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been patchworking about 10 years and longarming 5 o6 I think. Mostly I plan the bare bones and work from there. This one was actually planned, as a 100" square quilt. Then the fabric broke the plan so I had to change things and I was back to just having the bones of a design and filling in as I went.

The background designs are always what feels like a good idea when I start them. Which isn't always the best choice but I get by.

Ferret

Well done Ferret on your numerous awards. Very well deserved for such dedicated quilting. Where on earth did you find 400-600 hours to quilt this? (Having read this on your blog)- did you stop sleeping and eating for a while ? - LOL..... seriously though well done - excellent work - I wish I could have seen it in real life at Sandown, unfortunately my back issues kept me away again.

It went on and off the frame a lot. It had to fit in around customer work. I also did a lot of it when I wasn't at Festival of Quilts last August. Those 4-5 days when everyone else is busy are really valuable and I think I will be taking advantage of them again next year. Mostly though, sleeping less is the key :)

Ferret

WooHoo, Ferret!!! Honey, you take the cake! Your work on this is amazing. You have yanked me from the world of lurkdom, thank you! But what do you think we are here for if not to help each other celebrate?? We shall celebrate, and I will provide the music. Everyone plug in your speakers, turn them all the way up, and prepare to dance with Ferret:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8yWaZVchd6k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The quilt ended up 104"x129". I did block it. I took over the whole workshop at Patchwork Corner for Christmas and New year. I bound it there too, there isn't room at home to do it.

A local hotel let me use one of their meeting rooms to photograph it.

Loving the music :)

Ferret

Archived