blue and gold circles quilt finished

Originally posted by hmerrill

That came out beautiful. I just love when you get a beautiful border like that and fill it with feathers.

Thanks Heidi. I saved the borders for last. As nice as it was to have IQ stitch the circle designs, it was tedious to set them up. When the body was done and I got to free motion, I was sooooo happy;)

Originally posted by Farmland Quilter

Would you share how you set up the circles?

I used path pattern to make designs for the circles. Start by tracing the circle block. Then add a circle pattern. Then path pattern. It was surprising how many pantos and sashing designs worked well on the circular path.

Because so many of the circles are not full circles, I had to trace the intruding square block and make it a no sew zone.

With the rays in the background, I traced the large circle and outer block. Created the rays with computer art generated stars, 48 points, zero width (don't remember the right term for that). Centered the rays in the circle and sized them so they extended past the outer block. Then used clip block and no sew zone to make it stitch just the background around the circles.

Make sense?

Archived