Backing Woes on Radiant Star Quilt

LOL!! Vickie!! I hoped never to encounter a problem like this and was totally unprepared emotionally when it did! I lost sleep and really bent one friend's ear over it, but she was patient and let me vent sympathized just the right amount. I lucked out and certainly learned about pieced backings and what to watch for more closely, I wanted to share the problem so everyone else can learn from it. I think once this quilt is washed you really won't see it.

I hate these pieced backings. Yes, when everything goes well, they look "cute"..but they certainly cause problems, especially when sections are on the bias. I quilted one where the entire backing was pieced on the bias, so that she had a piece of three different prints going diagonally across the back. The only way I could think of to stabilize it was to sew muslin strips all around. It went OK with no pleats, but I don't know why! Sometimes, pleats happen! Good job fixing this one.

Shar, take your right hand and put it over your left shoulder and give yourself a big pat on the back! Nice job fixing the problem. Pieced backs will definitely cause issues like that if you're not very careful. I've made it habit to check, double check and triple check the backer for any signs of pleating with every roll. You are right that the bias pieces could have caused that problem. You did a great job fixing it.

Archived