88 Year Old Quilt /Close Ups Added

When her daughter showed it to her, she did remember making it.

There was so much extra fabric in the top that I had to use a high loft polyester batting. I would have liked to use cotton but there was just no way. It did end up with tucks even though I stuffed extra batting into some of the sections. It was hand pieced and some of the fabrics are starting to come apart. Her daughter machine sewed some of the sections to repair it.

I don't know how long the quilt will hold up but it made her family happy and that's what it's all about.

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

This is really heart warming to me. One of the reasons I quilt (and maybe the same reason for a lot of us) is that I insist on the quilts being used. I love that something I loved making is making someone else feel loved and keeping them warm. Its like the recipient is being loved by us every time they use the quilt. Makes me happy! This is a wonderful daughter giving love to her dear mother. Love it. Brings a tear to my eyes.

Wonderful job Coleen. My sister has about 12 old quilt tops from her late husbands family. I wish she would let me have a crack at them. She wants to "preserve them". I think that they deserve to be finished and loved by her family. When my mom passed away, I finished all her UFOs and passed them out to my brothers and sisters. I'm glad you had the chance to be a part of something really special.

Archived