Measuring tape for long arm

meg

Hi...

I've been wanting a measuring tape to attach to my leveler bar.

I think it would help me keep the sides of my quilt consistent.

I would like it to have zero in the center and count out the inches to each side.

For example, I have a 12 foot table.

I would like the tape to start at 6 feet on the end, go to zero in the middle, and back up to 6 feet at the opposite end.

Am I making any sense?

If I am, do they make these?

And does anyone know where I can get it.

Thanks in advance.

Meg

If I'm understanding what you are asking they do have a tape just like that.  Mine is pink.  It's called a Longarm Centering Tape.  I know Nancy's Notions carries them for under $20, but just "Google" the name and you'll get a lot of places to buy them from.  I attached mine to my leveler bar...I used some double-sided tape on it.  I don't think that was the proper use of it, but it worked for what I wanted it to do and it's still there.   :D

post-4696-0-76862100-1360534744_thumb.jpg

I actually found them at JoAnn's. Mine are white and I love them! I'm thinking they were under $10 and then they had the quilting stuff on sale so I bought three. I was amazed they were not that expensive since I had seen the ones for around $20. These were in the quilting section at JoAnn's; not with the regular measuring tapes.

What Oma posted is generally used attached to the sides with the tape hanging loosely over the quilt and the pink tabs are moved to align with the outside, sashings, blocks and such to keep them in line, too. I rarely use mine, but I have used the painter's tape as Kristina suggested.

Cindy is right...that's how you are suppose to use mine...which I think is what you wanted Meg, but I turned mine into "high brow" painters tape...I'm laughing here...by attaching it to my leveler bar.  And Lisa is right also because I have some of the ones from JoAnn's too I just forgot where I got them.  I use them for all sorts of things.

Update with an ah-ha moment.

I had planned to attach it with 2 sided tape.

I write this because I ALMOST got the expensive pink one like Oma has cause of those neat marker things.

but then it occured to me that if I attach it with 2 sided tape to the leveler bar, I can't use them cause i won't be able to move those markers.

So, I went with the cheaper one.

I'll have to fashion some kind of markers once I get it taped on.

I like to share my ah-ha moments because they are severely outnumbered by my duh moments.

I use Hugo's Amazing tape to keep the edges of my quilt straight. I just wrap some around the leveler bar and slide them into position with each quilt. You can get the tape at Superior Threads. It is the clear plastic tape that sticks to itself but not to anything else. You can use them to keep your sashings going straight also. http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/Notions/hugos-amazing-tape/ You can also use two measuring tapes and just start them at 0 in the center and run them out to the either side. That way you can use very inexpensive ones.

You're right Meg, when you attach them to the bar with double-sided tape you can't use those little slider things which kind of negates the whole process, but all I wanted was the tape.  And I got it really cheap some where.  The tape is suppose to stretch across your quilt from end to end like Cindy said.  If I think my top is getting out of square I lay my yardstick across the bars and measure it.  Seems to work just fine.  I have little c-clamp style things made out of some kind of pvc pipe that fit over my bars.  Does it sound like I don't use them either?  :)    

Inventive question here--if you have the longarm quilter's tape with markers on it, is it possible to clamp it on to your leveler bar with hose clamps tight on the outside ends?  then would you still be able to use the markers that slide? 

My George doesn't use a leveler bar (or any for that matter) but maybe this idea will help others.

Inventive question here--if you have the longarm quilter's tape with markers on it, is it possible to clamp it on to your leveler bar with hose clamps tight on the outside ends?  then would you still be able to use the markers that slide? 

My George doesn't use a leveler bar (or any for that matter) but maybe this idea will help others.

This is a good idea...and In my a-ha moment, I thought of this.

And maybe it would be fine for somebody else.

But I now have a regular tape measure attached to the level or bar in a similar manner.

And it needs constant readjusting.

And that bugs me, which is why I'm changing to the double sided, center zero tape in the first place.

Just for the record I found one of the fancy pink ones at our guilds garage sale and just had to have it.

After it was installed and centered I have to tell ya it is just another thing to worry about . If the quilt is

centered and loaded properly and the rolls look good ' they are just something else to worry about

that you can't do a whole lot about.

Julie the adhesive backed tape from APQS is one that used to be put on the pantograph table at the back of the machine.

I have the pink tape on my leveller bar held on with Hugos amazing tape at about 15" intervals so I can slide the pink slides between.

I then have my front roller marked every 5" with blue tape, and I also use Daves?grasshoppers clips to make sure the edges of my tops are staying even.

I very rarely centre my backing on the rollers, but do use the pinktape so I can mark the finished width I need to get too.

Archived