Practice fabric

Does anyone know of anything cheaper to practice on?  We've gone through 2 bolts of muslin now, which I ended up paying $3.50 a yard with my half off coupon at Joann's.

I guess maybe we should go to so thrift shops but the ones I've been to don't seem to have much fabric, although I looked before we thought about getting a longarm. 

We're at a point to start practicing freehand, I think we're ok on the pantos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joan

I was just at quilt show last summer and someone had done wonderful quilting using old table cloths...the ones with the printed flowers..etc on them...they were gorgeous and would also be great to practice free motion on as you go around the flowers or whatever is on them....I found a smaller one with four matching napkins at a "last day" estate sale where everything was half off....I think I paid something like $5 for the table cloth and $2 for each of the napkins...not really less expensive than the muslin...but ....much more fun and you may like the finished project too.....I did buy some 120 inch wide muslin at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon which was pretty cheap...but so then is the muslin and it was fairly stretching and thin....I think the old table clothes would be more fun to do.....Lin

I used lots of old sheets from estate sales.  Go the last day and get a good price.  You may want to check the sheets before leaving the premises.  I bought a lot of sheets at several sales but the last sale had them taped shut and I didn't think about opening them.  I threw them all in the garbage when I went to use them for practice.  But I was only out a couple of dollars.

Another great way to get practice is volunteering to quilt for non profit organizations. I just finished four quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders. They will send you the pieced top, backing fabric and also the binding. You supply the batting and shipping back to them. The quilt tops I received were very well pieced, and quilted up very nice. Best of all, the quilts will go to people who have very little else to call their own.

http://quiltsbeyondborders.wordpress.com

I bought children's panels or just fabric an older person might like and practiced outlining the pictures and free handing the borders. Then I gave them to my guild as donation quilts for kids and nursing homes. The nursing homes like small lap quilts that fit a wheelchair without dragging n the floor. Also some animal shelters use them as dog beds if they are just plain muslin.

I did such dense quilting on some of my first practice pieces that I called them my mattress pads. I quilted over and over on them using increasingly darker colors of thread.

Great advice to go over previous practice with different thread! After you have mastered the pantos, go over them from the front freehand style.

If you have taken the practice piece off, this will also give you practice in reloading. I found this very hard the first few times I did this.

I have used all the other suggestions for practice ideas. I especially love quilting for community quilts or other non-profits because I also get to practice managing the panic!!

If you feel you can move on from pantos, you are ready to quilt on actual quilts! Pantos allow you to master following a line (think stencils or markings), having a smooth line (essential for freehand) and changing direction without problems (a sign of good tension).  If you have UFOs, quilt them. If you have eager and encouraging friends with UFOs, quilt them. No amount of practicing on plain fabric will teach you as much as quilting on pieced fabric.  ;) You'll be amazed at how quickly you become proficient!

I offered to quilt charity quilts from 3 of our local guilds.... the guilds members had the pieced quilts... the guild paid for the backing and batting and the members offered to even pay for my thread... awesome practice... I got more quilts than I could keep up with and could do anything I wanted on them... they knew they were practice from a beginner ....

Sue

Two ideas : 

1. Lay a new piece of muslin or other suitable fabric on top of your already quilted sandwich and using a different colored thread top and bobbin, quilt again.  When I have finally finished practicing on these they go to the local animal shelter for blankets/mats in the cats/dogs cages.  I try and serge the edges to finish before I take them.

2. Get Charity/Sunshine quilt tops from your local guild(s) and quilt them for free.  They should provide you with the backing and batting too. You should not be out-of-pocket.  In our guild these quilts are made in stages. Someone will take home a kit and piece the top. The next person may add borders, then someone like you or a domestic machine quilter or a tie-er (sp) will quilt or tie the 3 layers.  Finally someone who loves to bind (!) will take it home to bind or it gets bound at the next Sunshine quilts workshop where my guilds both attach labels too.

Good luck ......and post pics!  We love to see quilt pics and it is fun to watch you progress and grow in skills!

Archived