sharing and need opinion

This started out as an octagon, but for most of the shows I've checked you have to have a rectangle or square. There was the option to stitch half of the finished quilt to a black piece of fabric, but that would ruin it for any other use.  SO, I drew and pieced these flying geese corners after seeing all the beautiful glacier star quilts everybody has done lately.  I usually love the look of black with my bright rainbow quilts, but I'm not loving this one.  I'm not sure. .. maybe I'm just in a slump. 

What do you all think?  Would it be better with the geese pieced on white? Would it be better to just leave it an octagon and live with it? I'm really torn about this one.   

The quilting thread will match the colors on the top. The backing fabric will either be solid black or solid whilte.  If I leave the black on the corners I will quilt rays with metallic gold in those corners.http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtconcessions/10485883793/

Colors on the internet don't always show true, but I think the geese look great.  I am a bit unsettled by the black also.  How about using a dark green like in the center section instead of the black.  White would not work at all for me.  If it isn't really green, whatever dark color that is would work.  This is gorgeous.

I don't think they mean the black piece would have to be a permanent part of the quilt.  It would just be a way for it to be hung more easily for the show, then it could be removed.

I really love your flying geese!! I like the corners with the black, definitely not white, those colors look so good on the dark fabric, and you have some dark in the center.

Are all the other fabrics batiks? This may be why you aren't liking the black solid. Maybe a really really dark batik, like the one you have used in the center?

The plain black looks really stark to me and I find myself looking at the outside and not the body of the quilt. I would try the dark textured blue that you already have in the quilt as the background for the geese.  Or one very similar that is not so textured.  There are lots of blackish batiks to choose from out there.  It may dull down the bright colors too much, but you don't know till you try.   JMHO.  Really awesome quilt!  It will be stunning when you complete it. I can't wait to see.

I think the center star and hexagon shapes are made stronger by the black corners.  IMHO this quilt will be better as a square with black corners than it would be as a hexagon.  The flying geese in the corners will carry your eye around the quilt and the black background will give you a chance to really show off your quilting.  The only reason it doesn't look right yet is because you need to do the other corners.  I just experienced the same thing with a very dense quilting pattern I just added to my show quilt in progress.  I thought I had really messed it up but my friend said keep going & do the rest of it.  She was right.  Now I'm telling you to keep going.  The quilt is beautiful and your corners are perfect.      Nancy in Tucson

Thanks. I think it will be okay when the other corners are on and the black part is quilted. I might go ahead and add the outer squares and carry the geese around an outer ring as well. I showed my granddaughter a picture and she said it has her name written all over it. I might not even get to keep it. Lol

Teresa, you have done a wonderful job on this.  If the granddaughter thinks her name is on this, she probably hasn't seen the date that you give it to her yet! 

Just write on the label that when you are ready it goes to her!  My gram had decided who got various items of hers by just putting our name on the item and when she was ready to let go of it, we got it.  It was still special even years later (I still have my milk glass chicken candy dish that I got from her years ago!)

Archived