Please Help - New (to my wife) machine (Millie) and she's very frustrated!

Long story short...OK...not that short.  My wife has been quilting using a Bernina quilt frame with a PFAFF QE 4.0 for a number of years.  After a lot of research she decided to purchase a used (2003 I believe) APQS Millenium that appears to be in fantastic condition.  Due to a number of unique circumstances she was not able to test the machine before she purchased it and the person that she purchased it from didn't know anything about quilting.  We have the quilt frame home and set up in her studio and she can't figure out how to get it to work correctly.  She doesn't have the manual for it and is trying to use it for the first time and is not having any luck at all.  Could someone please walk us through ALL (no matter how simple or of course you do that) steps so that she can start using her new machine.  She's wanted a long arm machine for a number of years and it is killing her that she now has one and is unable to get it to work correctly. 

She has a practice quilt loaded on the machine, she does the needle up/down to pull the bobbin thread up and then when she attempts to sew...well...it ends up being a mess and not stitching correctly.  What are the exact steps/buttons/etc necessary to push for the machine to quilt as expected?  It does have a SR but I'm not sure if she'd using it.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Madquilter:  You do need an owners manual.  Too much stuff to know without one.  The machine does have a stitch regulator.  Since I don't have a Millie, I can't help with the switch usage, and I think there's some differences in the Millies depending on the year.  Probably the best thing to do is to call APQS and talk with one of the techs.  They should be able to walk you through routine operations.  They'll also be able to tell you what year it is, and how it's different from other generation Millies.  Hang in there.  Your wife is going to love the machine once she learns how to use it.  Good luck.  Jim

Welcome to the family! It is a lot to read, however, it covers troubleshooting, maintenance, as well as basic quilting instruction. Section Two: getting to know your machine is as the best place to start once your machine is set up. There are some practice hints to familiarize you with the controls that will help you get started.

Best of luck and come here for any questions or concerns!!

You didn't say where you were.  If she is like me she wants to play now.  If you post where you are maybe someone is close and they can give you a quick starter lesson.  Mine is a 2002 and works wonderfully.  You will be thrilled once you get the hang of it.

Shirley

MadQuilter, Tell your wife to be patient and give herself time to learn. If she's like me, this will be very hard to hear, and even harder to do, but it is so worth the frustration when everything comes together and works the way it should. When I want to do something, I want to do it RIGHT NOW. I'm not at all patient person.

One thing that comes to mind that may be happening is the thread wadding up/nesting/breaking if she is not using the stitch regulator. If you don't use the regulator, you must move the machine as soon as you press the start button, otherwise the bobbin thread will break/nest/make a mess. You can't hesitate at all before you start moving the machine head. It may be easier to learn with the stitch regulator engaged, then graduate up to unregulated stitching once she is familiar with the controls.

Come here often to ask questions. This is a very knowledgeable group of people, and always patient and helpful. There are no "dumb" questions here. We were all newbies when we got our machines, and went through the same learning process you guys are starting. Try your best to be patient, and it will all come together for you sooner than you might imagine.

Good Luck!

Madquilter what part of Madison are you located in?  I work in DeForest, currently second shift, perhaps I can come down early one day.  Also there is a member in Lodi, that maybe able to help out as well.  You can message me if you'd like. 

Madquilter and wife...welcome to the forum and to your new (to you)  Milli.  I can imagine the frustration she must be experiencing since she can't just get going on a quilt. 

While you/she will need to become familiar with the manual  you should start with the basic maintenance checks which most of us do each day before quilting.  Use the manual to guide you through this  ...... Clean out and oil the bobbin basket as per the manual;  check the bobbin itself for dust etc,;  Is there a check spring in the bobbin? change the needle (if in doubt always change the needle!);  Check the thread is threaded through all the correct guides from the spool to the needle, particularly check that it is properly seated in the check spring;

Now you are ready to work on the tension in both the bobbin and for the top thread.  Follow the manual and Dawn's great tips and guidelines under the 'Troubleshooting and Tips' section of the forum and check out the help videos too and you should soon be on your way.   

Archived