Not very Happy with my Millie right now.

I just bought a used Millie and I have a couple issues with her. One is she keeps breaking needles and sometimes when I turn the stitch regulator on and start to move the machine it won't stitch right but if I turn the machine off and on again it sews nice then. I am also having a terrible time with thread breaking. I have tried different thread brands and they all seem to be breaking I have tweaked the tension and have it set so it feels right not to tight and not to loose. The thing that I don't understand is Millie had a spa treatment in May I wouldn't think she should have these kind of issues. I just want it to run smoothly. I understand there is a learning curve but it doesn't seem like I should be having this much trouble. I had the dealer in my area (Joyce) out yesterday and she put a new tension assembly in my machine and that works great. Can someone please help me. I am just crushed that Millie is running so bad.

Hi Marti,

Have you checked for burrs in the area the thread is breaking?  If you haven't already read it you might try reading this http://www.apqs.com/thread-breaking.

Someone will no doubt chime in with advice about the SR.  The things that come to mind are the encoder wheel and motor brushes but I am no expert!

Hey Marti, I am sorry you are having trouble again, when I spoke to you yesterday everything was working good. I am not sure why you are having trouble she was sewing beautiful like in the videos I sent you. Amy did the spa treatment in May and maybe you should call her Monday and tell her what is going on and she will have some advice. I never had needle breaks so I not sure what would cause that and the only time I had stitch regulator problems was when I oiled the wicks too much and she walked me through that on the phone. She is very familiar with this machine just tell her who you purchased it from.

Sandy

Sandy,

What exactly did Amy do when you sent Millie for her spa treatment? She ran OK after Joyce left but then today it was back to breaking thread and needles. I wasn't going to fast I don't want to go fast until I get the hang of her rythum. What I don't understand is when she is stitching along and then she stops stitching and this only happens when I have the stitch regulator on. I will call Amy Monday and see what she says. If the thread breaks easily should I have less tension on the upper tension?

Thanks,

Marti

Are you keeping your hands away from all the buttons on the handles while you are stitching in SR mode.  It doesn't take much of a touch to ANY one of the buttons to turn it off.  I've done it myself on a few occasions.  As for breaking needles, are you sure you have the needle in right, with the groove down the front.  Its very easy to get the needle in backwards, because its hard to see.  If your thread is catching somewhere along the thread path, it could break thread and needles.  Make sure its not catching on the cone or something else.  Amy will be able to help you.  She's great.

Hi Marti,

I got busy...sorry.

Since you can't call Amy til Monday, I would try all these things...

Thorough cleaning, WD40.

Sewers aid or mineral oil on the thread cone.

Do you have a piece of batting in the guide right over the cone to prevent thread from jumping around?

If not, do that.

Oil in bobbin area.

Totally Un-threading the machine and rethread it.

Make sure your needle is in correctly..and tightened.

(I once had a needle break cause I didn't tighten it enough and it came out)

Make sure all the connections are in tight for the stitch regulator.

Clean your wheels and rails.

Change your bobbin, especially if you're winding your own.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll be back!

Good luck, don't give up.

It's frustrating, but once you get it...it's great.

With all your broken needles, you might have a burr on your hook or thrown your machine out off time. Check the connections on your stitch regulator, you might have had one wiggle loose. Run a piece of panty hose thru your pigtails and the needle plate hole to check for snags or sharp edges.

Hope this helps.

Shirley

Marti: Needle breaking-  It sounds like you have a timing problem of some sort.  I broke several when my needle bar height was wrong.  Since your needle bar height probably isn't off, check to make sure your needles are fully inserted in the needle bar.  There may be trash in the socket that the needle fits in which is keeping the needle from fully seating. BTW, I replaced the slotted screw in my needle bar with a socket headed one (allen screw) so I could better and more easily tighten the needle.  Carefully check the timing of the machine.  Pay particular attention to the position of the needle eye when the needle bar is all the way down.  Also check to make sure your bobbin thread is "spooling" off smoothly and not catching.

Stop stitching-  Check the wire connections on your encoders  Unplug and replug them.  You may have a loose connection.  I don't know anything about the switches on your machine, so I can't offer a suggestion there.  But I do know my Intellistitch does funny things when the switch doesn't work properly. 

Don't let this get you down.  It's all part of mastering your machine.  You need to learn how to time the machine, and to recognize what might be causing any problem you encounter, so you can fix it.  Jim

Marti.  I have been quilting fro quite a few years and have just bought a New Gen Millie.  I still have the machine stop stitching for whenI don't expect it too..

Well there is a reason my finger slips and touches a button!

Are you quilting fabric with lots of white on white or gold metallic on it.  This stuff builds up in the hook area very quickly.

Check that your actual needle bar is straight, it may be the needle is hitting the hook at the wrong time to break the needles - this is a timing issue.

Hi Marti,

The most trouble free thread combo for me is so fine with magna glide bobbins.

I also run rainbows, glide and bottom line relatively easily.

King tut I've gotten to work, but it takes time.

When I wind my own bobbins, I always use bottom line.

When I want a gold metallic thread, I use glide military gold.

You get the metallic appearance w/o the problems.

Have you had any luck today with Millie?

Another thing to check is the cord at the back of the machine. My Milli was cutting off and it was the cord at the back hitting a button. I was quilting from the front of the machine.  

with your needles breaking it must be in the timing. Also needles breaks will leave burrs so that might be the tread issue. Are you using the Apqs Needles? That will make a difference. 

Hi,Marti! Hope you have gotten your machine fixed by now. Your troubles sound so much like mine did when I first got my Millie. I think for me it was getting my hand/eye co-ordination together. My fingers seemed to touch the wrong buttons when I was sewing and the machine would stop if it was in the SR mode. Took me a while to get it together. Hope you got in touch with Amy and all is well. Also,that needle is real easy to get in backwards and not seat in correctly for me. I always double check that after I change needles.   Good luck!       Becky

I talked to Amy yesterday and she is going to call back today and go over some things on my Millie today as soon as I get home from work. I'm sure we will get it figured out this is really frustrating. I have learned to keep my hands back from the buttons they are very sensitive. I have tried alot of the things everyone on here has suggested and some of them have helped.

I want to Thank all of you for your help and Joyce thank you for coming over to my house and working on Millie :)

Marti

Archived