NQR - Sending Christmas packages

Oma

I sent Lacey (granddaughter) her Christmas gift via UPS.  They "delivered" it yesterday.  They threw it on the side of the road.  If I hadn't been tracking it who knows what would have happened to it.  I told her it said it was on the truck out for delivery so she was watching for it.  Her friend noticed the box on his way to work and called her to go check it out.  This is not her driveway...it is the road that goes up to her and several other houses.  When you look at the pics notice that her house is way back by the trees.  Quite a ways.  Boy am I not happy.

I called this morning and got a pleasant lady who didn't really know what to do for me because it wasn't damaged or stolen.  She told me "Sorry...he says he won't do it again".  Uh????  Again...not acceptable.  So I just wrote a letter to the Chairman and CEO of the company.  I understand this is below him, but gosh dang it someone needs to address the problem.  I sent him the pictures too. 

Ok...that's my rant for this morning now I have to go get ready for a dentist appointment. 

Oh, by the way, this granddaughter just announced on Thanksgiving that I'm going to be a Great Grandma.  Yay!  A new baby!  How great is that?  My first "Great" grandbaby.  Due in June.  Yay!

Last time I had a driver problem, I sent a complaint on their website. The next day I got a call from the manager at our local office, we discussed the situation, she said she would talk to the driver. She called me back the next day and said she had a discussion with the driver and it wouldn't happen again, and if it did to please let her know. It hasn't happened again and I have had no more issues. I believe since the complaint went from the top down it got there attention. My neighbor has even noticed a difference. I had even told the lady about a problem at my neighbors. Someone has to ride there broom to get their attention. I receive a lot of orders and ship quite a bit,so I guess they may have also looked at that, because I threatened to quit using them and to spread the word about it.

Hopefully you will get their attention and get it resolved.

Shirley

What is wrong with earning the wages they are getting?  Can't they extend themselves to at least

do the minimum required, like deliver it to the door.. yes that Is a long drive. 

I'm so disgusted.. Crying out loud, it's still 15 days before Christmas.  What will they do when the

real crunch time comes, leave it on some highway? 

Yep, it irritates me.   Those who deliver like that need to either be fired, or have sneak-peek checks on

their deliveries. 

Rita

It must be the time of year.

I bought a large quantity of Aurifil thread on Dec 3.

It was shipped USPS from Wyoming 2DAY PRIORITY.

Because i was geeked to get it, I tracked it.

Thank God!

After 3 DAYS in Rochester, 3 BUSINESS days, I got a confirmation it arrived army local PO.

I figured it was all the crazy weather taking so long.

Yesterday late morning I tracked it, it said it was delivered at 10:06.

Yea, it wasn't here.

I made sure..and it's cold outside.

So, I decided to wait until my actual mail was delivered, surely it would come then.

Nope, not here.

Called the Post Office and explained my dilemma.

I HAVE NEVER SPOKEN TO SUCH A SOURPUSS IN MY LIFE.

After over 30 minutes on the phone, she says she's going in her truck to find it.

I didn't ask for this, I just want to know where my thread is.

She says, very rudely, she will bring it to my house.

Ok...well, thank you, i say.

I wait and wait.

It gets dark.

About 630 I go to check the mailbox, it's in there.

Mean people stink!

But I do LOVE that thread!

Congratulations, Oma!  Grandkids are the greatest, don't know about great grandkids but I bet they are even more special.

I love our UPS driver.  He puts the packages on the porch and will put them in the shed if they are large and he sees not an item for inside the house.  If I tie a ribbon on the hanger for the bird feeder he knows we are gone and will put the package in the garden tub so that it is out of sight.

Putting the package on the road is inappropriate, I don't defend the action and I would probably call and register a complaint.  The drivers don't work an 8 hour day, they work until all of the day's deliveries have been made.  The last time our driver was here he told DH he worked until 8 PM the night before.  It is the Christmas rush and a lot more deliveries are being made daily,  Again, I am not defending the delivery to the road and think maybe the driver had a big load and a long day.  I guess we will have to hope the delivery by drone that Amazon is talking about will catch on.  :)

We had friends fly in yesterday from Seattle to Palm Springs for a 4 month stay in their condo here in the desert.  They shipped several boxes down by UPS.  One box (of clothing) arrived ripped open and banged up.  Pkg. was totally open.  She is going to file a complaint but is first unpacking everything to see if anything is missing.  She did take picture of the box and the shape it arrived.  It was a brand new box they had purchased and had packing tape on every opening.

I have never had a problem with them but have had a few with the USPS.  In fact, I am trying to track one of them right now.

I would like to qualify all this by saying my UPS driver is fabulous

And my Florida USPS mail carrier is a doll.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to post office close by my house.

(Different from one above)

All the people in this branch are super friendly, always.

Anyway...I was shipping a quilt to a friend and was stuffing it into on of the priority mail boxes.

I looked all over the place for a pen to address it & couldn't find one.

I looked at the clerk, who pointed to a sign that said 'all shipping supplies are available for purchase'.

I looked back at him and he just shrugged.

I thought...wow! Not even a pen?

No biggie, I had one on the car.

Its clear that times are really hard and all these workers are under a lot of pressure to get the job done in a cost effective manner.

And I'm not making excuses for rudeness, but I'm chalking up my sourpuss experience to a bad day and giving people the benefit of the doubt.

My local PO and driver are absolutely great! If you have to go to the PO, and there is a long line, they have an individual who will walk down the line to see if they can help you fill out any paperwork or forms before you get to the head of the line. For regular mail delivery, I only have a semi-regular driver, it seems the job is shared between 2 drivers, I only know their faces, but they are both great too. They will cheerfully bring my package to the porch and recently, I had the back door open with just the screen door closed, and no doorbell that works, it was raining really hard, one of them must have leaned in the door to place a package just inside my door. Contrast that with the pharmacy deliveries from hospice for my Mom....packages with suppositories are left just at the end of the wheelchair ramp, in the sun and heat. They can't even walk another 10 feet to put them on a chair under the umbrella! 

My regular UPS driver is a doll too.  I think most of them are.  I just could not believe how this one driver handled this delivery.  This just made me speechless.  It's in a ditch on the side of the road no where near her house or anyone else's for that matter.  It would have been better to take it back to the facility and say it was undeliverable.  I suggested in my letter to the CEO that perhaps this particular driver could benefit from a little additional training.  I included the pictures and left it up to him.  All of my other packages in three different states have been delivered a day earlier than expected and undamaged.  I'm only waiting on one more to get to it's destination.  I'm very happy.   :) 

I keep thinking what if this package contained someone's prize quilt...beautifully pieced and expertly custom quilted by one of our notable quilters and there it was thrown on the side of the road in the snow.  AAACCKKKK!!!!  NIghtmare!!!!  ((((shudder)))). 

I agree with Vicki about FedEx! I use UPS as a last resort having witnessed similar carelessness.

It would have been better to to flag the package as undeliverable, as someone mentioned. Inconvenient for the customer who may not be comfortable driving to the local UPS to pick up--along with a horde of others.

Also as mentioned, the crunch is on and if a driver thinks they can't make it down a (perhaps private?) road and turn around to get back out, the corporation may consider this acceptable. Ugly, huh? 

I thought about that Linda, but the UPS has driven down that road and delivered packages many times before.  As you can see...it's not particularly snow-packed.  This is Grants Pass, Oregon so the driver should be used to driving in snow anyway.  Anything would have been preferable to just throwing it on the side of the road.

I agree, this was totally unacceptable!   I do have a wonderful UPS driver and even the sub driver is great.  I live rural Montana and sometimes the driver has to drive several miles to an address for delivery.  We have had pkg's delivered after 8pm during Holiday times.  I see the UPS trucks on the road by 7am...so I know they are working many hours per day trying to get pkg's out.  However, sloppy and lazy delivery of pkg's such as this, WRONG and I would have notified the local office as well as the CEO.  I do hope you get a response.

As for the pkgs being ripped open.. all I have to say is tape those boxes up like Fort Knox!  When I was in college I would work Holiday rush at a delivery facility for UPS.  Those boxes get THROWN, BOUNCED, SHUFFLED AND STACKED prior to actually getting in a delivery truck.  After seeing how pkg's are treated, I have always used a lot of packing tape on any boxes I ship regardless if it is UPS, USPS or FEDEX.  My daughter complains that she has to use a chainsaw to open my packages! :D

Update:  I sent a letter to the CEO with the pics to express my disappointment with the handling of this delivery.  Today I received a phone call from the District Mananger in Medford, OR who also handles the Grants Pass area.  He got the letter through headquarters.  Very nice guy.  He thanked me for the pics because he said they "speak a thousand words".  The driver will be disciplined, but not fired.  I didn't want that.  He said there was no excuse because they have hired additional staff and are not short handed nor over-worked.  HIs concern was much the same as mine...if he did it once then how many other times is it happening. 

Not too long after that I received a call from the Regional Manager above this one who is in Boise, ID.  He said pretty much the same thing.  He was going to Medford to meet with that manager and the driver in the morning.  I told him how much I love my UPS guy and the girl who is his substitute.  Also told him how happy all my "friends" are with their drivers.  This is a pretty isolated case.  He said it was still unacceptable and would be handled   

All is good...well...except for that driver.  He still has a good job although now he has to do a good job. 

Great follow-up from the company.     

Great news Oma.............it paid off to complain.  There is no excuse for that driver to do what he did - I don't care how busy they are...........that's their job.   Our UPS guy has come as late as 8 PM and never complains.........he just says..........."tis the season and keeps me in a job !"   

I'm impressed with the extent the UPS managers are going to straighten this problem out,

and make sure the driver is better trained.. I hope that includes the honesty in doing the job.

We had 2 packages come in, one UPS and one Fed Ex, and both were without a mar,

no scratch or bent corners.

One was the Studio Cutter and the other was the adaptors for the Go Dies.

Both were left on our front porch which is well sheltered.

I also receive a monthly delivery of the infusion meds and supplies I use weekly.

They come in, in perfect shape too. 

I am impressed... maybe there is hope for these guys who mess up in royal fashion.

Rita

Archived