Snow dyeing fabric

Christmas comes early at our house. My wonderful wife that's also a quilter gave me 20+ yards of fabric and everything needed to try snow dyeing fabric. We may also try low water immersion and immersion dyeing as well. I feel like a kid with a new chemistry kit just waiting for the next snow day (I'm a teacher-Geometry...I think of it as Pre-Quilting). Anyway I am looking for tips and suggestions. My wife is awesome. I can't wait to see what we do with this. It is truly a blessing to have someone you can create with together.

Merry Christmas to all and may God bless you in the year to come.

Don

Merry Christmas, Don.

Have a blast with the dye kit,  your wife is wonderful..

We don't get snow often enough to try this method, and I

have too much going on to invest in other methods.

God Blessings on you and yours now and forever.

Rita & Himself.

sorry I think I messed up the first question to tamarack shack... what kind of fabric do you use? that is absolutely awesome and we have tons of snow here in Michigan too.

Joy right now I'm using white cotton from Sew Batik.  It has a very fine weave so the texture in the snow dyeing is very crisp.  I have also used Kona white but it is a looser weave and tends to fray a lot!  I like to use Kona when I'm dyeing a large quilt backing.

Kathy,

Pictures you posted here is what got us started. Your tutorials are great. Do you use urea in your dye mixture. The more I research the more I find that there is no specific way to dye. I tend to be a rules person and want to know it will turn out right the first time. I really can't wait to give this a try.

No I don't use Urea in my dyeing, never found it necessary.

Your right there is no specific way to dye fabric.  For example Soda Ash can be used either as a presoaked, added with the dye or added after the fabric is in the dye bath...each option will give you slightly different results so I use any of these methods depending on what I'm trying to achieve.  

So you will have to make your own rules like I did! :)

I have dabbled with hand dyeing fabric for more than 15 years, but don't do it often, so I can't really predict results yet.  I now live in Duluth, MN.  Last April we had a lot of snow, over 50 inches!  More snow in one calendar month than in the records!  I teach math a our local community college and we had not one but two Fridays in a row that were snow days!  Just before the first snow day, I bought some Kona cotton from my local fabric store and treid snow dyeing.  I liked it so much that I immediately oredered ten rayon scarfs from Dharma Trading and they arrived just in time to dye the second snow day Friday in a row.  Now snow days at college are not as common as in public schools and we often go several years without any at all.

The instructions I was using from an article about a year ago in Quilter's Newsletter stated that heavy wet snow is the best.  I let mine sit overnight in the cool basement to melt/dye and it worked well.  I would up with ten lovely scarfs that have made eight friends/relatives very nice presents.  One left to give and one for me.  Have fun!

Hi Kathy,  .....and just a few more inches we will break the record for the most snow in December ever!  Yikes!  I do know where those disappearing ice caps and glaciers are going!  This snow dying does sound like fun!  The first snow storm we got was that heavy wet stuff....the last snow was the light fluffy stuff....I know some nationalities have several different words for snow depending on the type.....ummm....I have different words too...some lovely ones for when I am toasty and warm looking from my warm house out my windows...some other words for when I am strolling along looking at it on a balmy winter day....and others (mostly four letter ones) when I am trying to shovel the stuff again!  I haven't been to the fitness center for weeks but am developing some serious arm muscle and my abs are bulking up...ok...maybe that is the christmas cookies not the workout....the abs don't exactly look like six packs.  Seriously though...I am going to have to try the snow dying....after, I do have plenty of snow....Lin

I have a WONDERFUL friend who is going to share some dyes with me.. God Bless her, she is so

generous and such a lovely lady,  right mrm?

I'm so excited at the prospect of ice dyeing that I can't stay still... lol, it won't get here today.

I need to go put the leaders on the side of a quilt, and finish it to the needing binding and label

stage.

I have a few quilts I'm going to add some quilting to.. they have too large of a space with

no quilting.   Maybe some giant McT designs.

Everyone, Have FUN !!!

Rita

Archived