jbnt9999

I had a customer bring me thread, im using cotton thread, alum bobbin,bobbin tension loose ( shake and 10" drop) request batting. I have fiddled with tension ,screw is slightly past , sticking out on knob, tension is still uneven, what next? Should I loosen bobbin or rethread through holes? post-1280-0-19664800-1392213900_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for help.

I think I'd rerun the thread.. then test the bobbin.  You know the top thread, bobbin thread

routine.. if loopies on the back, tighten top, if sloppy around tighten each, etc.

Hope you get it solved.   Since I began dipping my threads in Mineral Oil, I just don't have

problems with tension.. did yesterday though.. was pretty ticked, until I found out the

invisible thread was doing mean things.. wrapping around itself, twisting over the 3 hole

guides, etc..

Maybe that was day before yesterday.

Guess it doesn't matter when it happened, just that it did happen!   ROFL

Hope something helped.. or helps soon.

Rita

Before I start warming Millie, I would clean the bobbin thoroughly by removing the black spring with q tips or very thin pins and also the part where thread tension is, lint is our enemy & they live there. I use air compressor to clean bobbin & bobbin case, spray with WD40, run machine a bit, then oil the bobbin area do the same with the bobbin case, wipe with clean rag, rethread & do the usual tension adjustments.

Shana from Alaska is good @ this, I copied her.

Woo wee, daughter had emergency root canal , now back at machine. Customer brought mettler cotton thread. Did all the normal tension adjustment, am going to change thread path and larger needle. She also brought request batting and it is not my favorite. Had thread adjusted great for warm and natural then realized her batting was request. Like it better when I provide the thread!

I'm not sure you're going to have much luck with Mettler thread.

I don't think it's strong enough for the hi speed.

If you have to use it...I'd try a real loose tension top & bobbin and go very slow.

I'm interested how this works out for you so please post your outcome.

Good luck!

Hi Betty Ann. I never accept thread provided by the customer. My experience is while they think it saves them money, the headache it makes for me adds more time to my quilting. If they want to bring thread, it must be a brand and weight that I know works for me and it must be on a cone. That is usually too expensive for them. My thread charges are nominal and for replacement of what's used

I have a couple of types of batting that I refuse, with a smile and an explanation. One (Fairfield Bamboo blend) is so linty I have to run an air filter in the shop and still I get a fine layer of lint on everything and my breathing is affected.

Don't feel the need to accept anything your customer brings. You're the expert and know what works best for you. The potential for disappointing or offending a customer is more than offset by not having to deal with products you know won't work well. If you use an inferior thread or batting provided by the customer and the quilt doesn't hold up well, you'll be blamed, not the materials.  :(

Linda gives good advice, personally I don't use customer's thread either, I know what runs well on my machine and who needs the frustration of trying to make a new thread work?  I have never used cotton thread as I hear it is also pretty linty, have you tried Superior's lava thread? It looks like cotton but is actually a poly thread and it runs like butter in my machine but gives the heavier cotton look that some like...

Agreed…that thread is not your friend.  There are a few different Mettler cottons…one is intended for piecing, the other for HAND quilting.  It's no surprise that neither of them would be happy & easy to run on your long arm.  If the customer wants the look of a cotton thread, could you gently suggest So Fine to her?  The 50 weight will look much like her cotton thread but will give you a much easier time.  Let us know how it works out please.  Nancy in Tucson

Cathy:

I can't believe how long it took me to figure this out!  So many people, including "big names" (Jamie Wallen, Sue Patten, etc.) rave about very loose bobbin.  Before I tried it, my tension was mostly pretty good, but I thought it could improve.  Since I was also trying a new bobbin thread (Bottom Line) at the time I loosened the tension, I just blamed the thread.  Finally, it dawned on me that I should have gone with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Now I am using my Towa bobbin gauge and Linda Rech's system for top tension by feel, and so far, so good!  I have had Bottom Line, Gutterman, Connecting Threads, etc. in the bobbin with good results.  I do need to start taking notes about what is working with what.  Since I just quilt for myself (and charity quilts), I haven't been taking that part seriously enough.

Archived