Embroidered quilt with new alternative to traditional crosshatching

This cute wallhanging took my customer 2 years to finish. She embroidered one block and put it down until she was inspired by all the colored embroidery recently trending. The thread she used is dark navy blue but looks black. She colored with crayons.

The different take on traditional crosshatching came about because of the higher fee I charge for that technique. All the marking and starts and stops usually jack the price up by as much as two extra cents per inch. Please click the link to see the full top and arrow right for a detail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/12534070474/

I marked this with even tick-marks along the outside edge of the block. Then I marked the diagonals, keeping the lines in quadrants as shown. I was able to stitch up to the embroidery, along the outline to the next marked line, back to the outside edge and SID to the next one. This allowed me to stitch clockwise all around and catch all the lines. A few line were stitched in the white areas in the center, but in most cases I left the center areas alone. Very quick to stitch since you have 50% fewer lines to mark and stitch. I think it's more interesting than traditional crosshatching. I'll remember this for the next applique quilt I get.

Specs--So Fine white outlining the embroidery. Silver-gray BottomLine for the crosshatching (her choice--not mine). Smokey lilac for the ferny border and rectangles. Dark purple for the sashing stones that you can't see!

Thanks for looking!

Linda, this is soooo pretty. I like it a lot.  Thank you for sharing how you did this, I think it might work on that TriChem quilt I forgot to bring to the last Moxie meeting. Mu customer doesn't like cross hatching, but I think she might like this.  You are so talented.

Archived