Blizzard Forces an Early Close at APQS

Hi Everyone,

We're experiencing a good old-fashioned blizzard in Iowa today. We have closed the factory so that our employees can make it home safely. We will resume normal business hours on Friday, 8 am - 5 pm CST (provided the weather allows it.)

I am checking emails throughout the day so if you need assistance, send a note to dawn@apqs.com.

Stay warm and keep quilting!

We had "snow-maggedon" about 2 weeks ago.  Please don't laugh at us, there was maybe 3", plus deeper drifts.  It was pretty the first day, but after that I missed my bike so much, I started to get cranky.  Thankfully, we don't have to shovel rain, but I do need to put my bike shoes on the dryer so that I don't have wet feet tomorrow.

Safe safe everyone and happy quilting.

Winter seems never ending from the Midwest to the East Coast and SE coast.............Today we have had blizzard warnings in the northern part of the state.........thundersstorms in our area.........sleet, hail, wind and more snow.   Right now it is foggy, snowing the strong winds precdicted have arrived.

As long as my power stays on, I am good.   Plenty of sewing/quilting to work on.  

Closing is a good idea....appreciate that APQS does that for their employees....my brother-in-laws supervisor called Wednesday to ask if he would be in on Friday...you guess it.....big storm warning....he told him...if he could get out of his driveway and the roads were plowed....he would be good to go....well...today is Friday morning....glad they got the water main break fixed late last night after 24 hours without water....opened the back door to let the dogs out at 530.this morning..oops...the door only opened a few inches....a little shoulder power and leaning on it  .....glad my diet hasn't been all the successful  :)  I had a lot of "fat muscle"...the door opened enough for me to squeeze through and shovel the three + foot drift off the back porch and then shovel the 4 foot drift in stages to make a narrow path for the dogs...silly dogs...still won't do their business until I shoveled a path to the back side of their pen.....I am supposing I will have to repeat this process several times today and don't expect to reach the road until sometime tomorrow as the winds are really whipping up now....the snow has slowed coming down...the problem we are having up here is that there is nowhere to put the snow...I can't throw it over the banks anymore....auggghhhh!  and I thought I would have so much time to stitch this winter!  What can I say?  Life is hard!!!!  anyway...I will stitch some today if the power stays on...on my! I am whining ....and I grow up in northern Minnesota....I must be getting old or something......Lin

We had some thundersnow last evening too....I saw the flash and then the boom....my brother-in-law is out snowblowing.....he usually will do my sidewalk too...but not yet...will have to wait till probably tomorrow for that....priority is to get him to work...all schools are closed in our local broadcast area and a lot of other things too...but the Mall has not posted it is closing yet...where he works usually closes if the Mall does...This is way more snow than last year...and we had 48 inches last April....so a little more than two months left....we blew the record for days below zero in a single winter to pieces last week and next week it is supposed to be below zero at least at night every evening...yikes...some records, I can leave behind!  I think there would be real competition for the "gold" in the weather olympics in this country this year! 

We suffered Mother Nature's wrath again here in NE Iowa.  We didn't have any precip until mid afternoon yesterday, and then it rained, sleeted, rained, snowed, and rained once again - with thunder and lightening mixed in - before the snow and wind started for good.  We didn't get much snow, but it just howled up here until mid afternoon today!  We lost another big pine tree and many branches off other trees.  There is ice built up all over again, and the gravel was again drifted closed in many places.  I will be so glad when this winter is over - it has been a hard one.  The kids will be going to school well into June to make up for all the days they've lost. :(

Archived