Sewing bindings on with the longarm............from the back !

I have been sewing bindings on the front of my quilts using the longarm for a while now and wondered if there was a way to sew the binding on to the back of the quilt, so it could be sewn down using the DSM on the front.............no hand stitching !    I bought a set of the "flip zippers' from The Quilting Connection a  while back and decided to give it a try.............before taking the quilt off the frame, I stitched a 1/4" seam guide using contrasting thread in the bobbin so it would show on the back.   THEN, I unzipped the quilt sandwich, zipped on the flip zippers and turned the whole sandwich upside down...........the back of the quilt is now facing UP.   Zip the sandwich back on the rollers and using that 1/4" line as a guide, sew the binding on with the longarm...........after it is all sewn on, remove the quilt as usual and trim.   Now the quilt is ready to sew down the binding on the front of the quilt using my DSM.    It took me a while to figure it out, but next time, it will be easier.

Some of the quilts I make are utility quilts that will get used and washed a lot and I think machine sewing the binding lasts longer.   I still hand sew my special quilts, but for these, I wanted another way and I hate to wrestle a big quilt under the DSM any more than I have to.   Now it is just the one time to sew down on the front.

I had originally bought the flip zippers to use if I happened to pin a quilt on the wrong way..........the flip zippers can be used to make it work and not have to re-pin it all.   I did just that the other day and those flip zippers came in very handy.  

I've done so many now I've gotten pretty good at using the DSM to finish them from the back and they look good on the front.  My friend does a double binding technique I like, but I didn't want to figure out a way to do what Linda did.  I use the red snappers, but sewing around the edge with contrasting thread is the answer.  Now I'll rethink that possibility.

Great idea. I sew all my bindings by machine, but not with my Longarm because I hadn't thought of this yet....what you just explained. So that might change now. You are very innovative. Thanks for sharing.

I ordered some zippers recently for use in bobbin work. I guess they are the same zippers you are using?

Sounds wonderful for some of those much-washed quilts.  Have a daughter who is the washing machine queen and would love to finish hers this way. 

Tried something new (for me).  Bought a ruler to help me sew on the binding while on the longarm.  Now this just helps with the front; still have to hand sew the back.  Well, I was not too successful on my first quilt.    Think perhaps my batting was a little too thick.  The ruler slipped along the foot fine until I went to sew.  Then it would not successfully glide along.  It appeared that the opening  was too narrow - but think it was because of the fabric and very poufy batting.  Tomorrow DH  is going to try sanding it a little and see if that helps.    Left the quilt on the zippers and will not get back to it for another week.   Cousin coming for a week and we are going to work on her piecing skills.  She is a beginning quilter and very enthused.  Can't seem to pass any quilting shop without stopping.  They are going to love her.

And I think a set of Flip Zippers would be wonderful for me.  thanks for sharing.

Marilyn

Linda,  I think I have the same binding tool you have; but it doesn't perform that way for me.  Do you think it could be the operator?     My DH  tried it and he really thinks it needs the sanding he is going to try tomorrow.   And he is much handier than I.  He really should be the one running my machine; but he feels the maintenance is enough on his part.  It is wonderful to have a handy husband!!!

Marilyn

Archived