Is there any reason for THIS???

I got this quilt from a client who is turning a lap quilt into a full size, so I just have to quilt the borders. It was previously quilted with the "Chantilly" panto, BUT L@@K at the spacing! They are a good 6 inches apart! Was this quilter just lazy, or am I missing out on a good reason to quilt this way??? I just can't imagine why this was a good idea!

post--13461897973494_thumb.jpg

Caron,

Not to defend anyone here, I just have to say this.....when panto's first came out there wasn't a whole lot instructions, and if this person is one of the earlier panto quilters. She just may not know any better.

Panto's didn't have the beautiful designs that we have today...there were only about 8 total that were worth having, and not one of those came with any directions....I know my first few looked very much like this one until I put one on my own stuff and after washing I didn't like the gaposist so I started to put the quilting a bit closer...so I might guess that this person just hasn't had any lessons on the correct way of doing it.....

BUT then this is one of the newer ones and there are tons of instructions with the newer ones....with dotted lines and placement suggections....so go figure.

Bonnie that is so true. I used to do that one a lot when first started.

Lined up closely it does take time, and I think you are right, she was probably getting it done quicker.

How about some nice fill in to match:) If she will pay you for your time of course!

I'd agree with Bonnie and Kerri, years ago (10 yrs) we didn't have beautifully interlocking patterns that we have now so the thought of making this pattern interlock might not have occurred to the quilter - but it does interlock beautifully.

We have so many more chances to see other peoples work now through the internet and get great ideas the standard of machine quilting is improving beyond anything imaginable 10 yrs ago.

I wonder how much the quilter charged for that quilting

sue in australia

I kind of agree with Vicki, some people don't want a lot of stitching or couldn't afford it. There could be a lot of reason for this quilt design. We can always give the quilt a compliment no matter what it looks like. It takes us as Professional longarm quilters to make suggestions to our customers on how to enhance their quilts. I like the panto and wonder what the design is on the other side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rebecca Hall-Martinez

Cottage Quilter

Rockton, Illinois

The quilt on the other side is a busy "TRIP" quilt, I asked her how she wanted the borders quilted, and she really didn't care, she just wanted something similar.

I am sorry if it sounded like I was berating the quilter, but this lady was not a quilter, she paid to have the borders added. She has alot of money invested so far so I don't think she knowingly paid for "less quilting" And it was done very recently, within the year. I was just surprised to see it quilted that way.......

Took a quilt to a quilter and it was returned in a similar state. Had had 3 quilts quilted by an excellent Longarm quilter (who retired because of health). She educated me about borders and squaring my top. Took 2 quilts to a young lady and expected the same. One of the quilts looked like the above. I was so disappointed. Second quilt was quilted as above on top half with the panto rows being closely spaced on the bottom half. again - disappointment. Did not ask for my money back as I knew young woman was trying to pay off machine and raise 4 young children. However, I tried to tactfully point out what I would like if I had another quilt quilted. Suggested to her that I would like my quilts quilted with the pantos evenly spaced and the pattern going fully to the bottom and top. I was informed that "if people didn't like the way she quilted, they didn't need to bring them to her for quilting. And it is impossible to quilt close to top and clear to bottom." Nuff said. Guess what ?? My husband thought I should buy a machine (as he has many toys) and I could probably do better. I can keep my rows evenly spaced, no gaps, and I quilt close to top and bottom. Takes a little longer but end result is more to my liking. Imagine your customer is hoping you can work miracles. So some quilters, just don't know any better.

Marilyn

I keep looking at this and just cannot imagine anyone being happy with this. Not the quilter and not the customer. Anyone who has ever seen a quilt, even a 12.00 quilt in a bargain store knows this is not how it should look. I can't see this on anything except maybe a comforter possibly. It is just really strange. Even 10 years ago it would not have been difficult to move the rows closer together, nested or not. JMO. I don't and have never had a longarm but right is right and wrong is wrong.

i am having this same issue with a top for a gal in my town. 8 inches apart rope design. when i pulled it from the leaders and hung it to get the overall effect i hated it. I am despartely trying to get her to allow me to do more!

i keep in mind everyday i look at the quilt that this is not my style but it is hers and what she wants.

I hadn't seen one so well spaced before but I think everyone is right that the quilter probly didn't know better. If it was recently done it is a good example of why we need to have some level of training by a professional so to start out doing right things right. That or take the time to educate ourselves before executing what we think is right on someone else's quilt. This pattern which I love has been around for a while and done well is really a beautiful interlocking design. Even at a customers request I wouldn't quilt something this way. I would ask them to take it to another quilter. Even though its less work and I would still charge for every sq. inch of the quilt size. I wouldn't want it out there to be judged by potential and future customers. That's just me.

I'll bet you bring it back to life though Caron. Good Luck.

PS. Caron I loved the Sampler you did on another discussion. Wonderful job.

Grammie

What I don't understand is why she didn't have the other quilter do the borders as well, why did she take it to a 2nd quilter to do the borders? Unless the original quilter is new to longarming and dosen't do borders yet. But if this was the case then why didn't the piecer say thanks but no thanks I will find another longarmer who could do the center and the borders...I think it would have been cheaper in the long run especially if there is a minimum charge for each quilter.

Joann

Caron, I agree that the spacing is unusual, but it doesn't look terribly horrible. Perhaps it was a new quilter thing or a customer request. Would this lady let you add a little daisy chain zigzagging between the panto. That would add quilting and not deter from the beautiful quilting already done. I'm sure whatever you do with the borders will be great.

Archived