Win A Millie September '17 version

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

No, I was typing as it looked, like you do on all websites.

I believe that would be an oxymoron.  :o

I though APQS was just testing our math skills to ensure that we have the skill set and knowledge base to use the Millie being given away. :D

Cagey

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, Cagey said:

I believe that would be an oxymoron.  :o

I though APQS was just testing our math skills to ensure that we have the skill set and knowledge base to use the Millie being given away. :D

Cagey

APQS should know me well enough by now to know I am no math wiz. 

On 9/15/2017 at 4:45 PM, mlsa3 said:

I've actually almost put the wrong addition in the blank to see if it would still accept it or does it have to be correct.  Decisions....decisions.

Believe it or not but it has to be added correctly or it won't accept it....glad I have my calculator handy...hope they never go to multiplications and divisions.

Please don't hate me for saying this... but I love math :) I think it's interesting and fun. And I always find it funny when quilters hate math because quilting involves a lot of it.

I was lucky and had one teacher who could *really* explain things. There are many math teachers out there who know their math but can't teach at all, and I am convinced that many people who say they hate math would actually like it if they had ever had a good teacher and hadn't had to deal with frustration all the time.

If you like quilting, I believe you have to like math just a tad.  Otherwise, you would never know how much fabric to purchase.  You would have no idea how to make different sized blocks fit together.  Here is a great article on keeping ones mind young, and quilting is involved; http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/05/05/309006780/learning-a-new-skill-works-best-to-keep-your-brain-sharp

Cagey 

I am so happy there are math lovers out there, that is what makes the world go around. I will tell you a secret, wine tastes worse than Nyquil. I am not like other people. I can follow directions on a pattern. I can cut out patterns. I can piece. I can even come up with my own patterns. However, I tried to take math in college and had to hire a tutor. One night after a "groundhog" type day with my tutor, where she would help me through a problem...I seem to get it...then the next problem looked totally foreign. She looked at me and asked, "Who did this to you?" When I say I cannot do math.....please believe me....I cannot do math. I can cook, measure, even double a recipe. But don't give me anything harder than addition and subtraction. 

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

When I say I cannot do math.....please believe me....I cannot do math. I can cook, measure, even double a recipe. But don't give me anything harder than addition and subtraction. 

Oh Mary Beth, I can so relate to this. I was tutored almost every night in my junior year in high school to get me through my algebra course - that was the last course in math I had to have! When I was in college and took an accounting course, I barely passed my final exam because not one of my columns on the 10 column worksheet balanced. All my numbers were in the proper spot but I couldn't add up all the numbers - remember this was long before adding machines/calculators were allowed in the classroom. I didn't have enough time (or fingers) to do the math. 

About 15-20 years ago my husband's office was looking for someone to do some accounting work and my sister-in-law asked if I wanted to work part-time for them. I asked my husband what he told her - he said that by the time he stopped laughing, she had left for the day! I was never asked to work for them. I can do simple math, but don't ask me anything complicated. Thank goodness for calculators!

Actually, quilting has helped me slightly with my math skills. You do need to be able to do some simple math to figure out some patterns. 

31 minutes ago, Sue E. said:

Oh Mary Beth, I can so relate to this. I was tutored almost every night in my junior year in high school to get me through my algebra course - that was the last course in math I had to have! When I was in college and took an accounting course, I barely passed my final exam because not one of my columns on the 10 column worksheet balanced. All my numbers were in the proper spot but I couldn't add up all the numbers - remember this was long before adding machines/calculators were allowed in the classroom. I didn't have enough time (or fingers) to do the math. 

About 15-20 years ago my husband's office was looking for someone to do some accounting work and my sister-in-law asked if I wanted to work part-time for them. I asked my husband what he told her - he said that by the time he stopped laughing, she had left for the day! I was never asked to work for them. I can do simple math, but don't ask me anything complicated. Thank goodness for calculators!

Actually, quilting has helped me slightly with my math skills. You do need to be able to do some simple math to figure out some patterns. 

Yay!!! I am not the only one. Fractions freak me out. I have that quilters calculator and I have started using it a lot. I struggled through 12 years of school. Math is not my friend. It is terrible when even the tutor is at a loss. 

Everyone has different strengths.  When I was in school and pulling my hair out over math, the Calculus whiz remarked, "I wish I could  get a higher grade than a C for English papers."  I aced those!  And some folks have trouble learning a skill from a book or written directions.  They need to have someone physically show them.

well.....I was really good at math....got in the 99.6 percentile on one of those test they used to give us....now...mind you...spelling is an entirely different story...all I can remember about that is the "i" is after "e" except after "c" except for sometimes....yah....all spelling is like that for me...flunked out of freshman English twice because we had to write an essay on the spot for the finial and in those days, we could not use a dictionary and spell check was not invented yet.....almost dropped out of college because of this...but hey I got 4 A's, 1 B, and an F the first quarter....and about the same the second quarter and finally passed English 101 during a summer session taking it pass/fail...thank goodness there is not much spelling in quilting!!!!!!