Just a thought

I have a suggestion that may or may not fly. Would it be useful to have new forum area named: "Frequently Asked Questions" where posts of repeated questions could get stored? I know there is always a newbie (hey I'm still one) who needs help, and it's almost inevitable that the same questions come up.

This came to mind when I just read the nice write up that Dawn did about Mono Thread and I know she has written up directions about this same subject numerous times.

Many people have don?t seem to know which criteria to use when looking for old posts so they can?t find what they are looking for. I just thought it would make a nice spot to put some answers without all the stuff in between.

Some topics that come to mind:

Mono Thread

Floating a top

Removing a stain

You get the picture.

Does anyone else think this would be a good thing?

Thanks

I vote yes on the FAQ page, too. :) Good idea, Joann and Piglet in AZ!

Other topics to add:

-Troubleshooting the tension headache

-Steps to maintain your machine

-Goodies to have in your maintenance "tool box"

-A list for regular (separated by daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) things we should do to maintain the machine

-Things that no-one else does: Our own nifty little "McGuyver" shortcuts, our own inventions and things we do to make life easier in general

-How to "unquilt" quickly and successfully

-BTDT and don't want to go there again...: The reasons why we don't do things this way is because ___ (fill in theblank here)____

-How to resize photos and add photos

-Shortcuts and hints that are tried and true

Me too I want on the list what a wonderful idea . So much better then searching then reading all the threads to find which one we need , then printing WOW thats takes alot of time all that time we could be quilting ,

Maybe the APQS computer tech guy is reading this will think of way to make it happen

I am also going to start a binder , printer ran out of ink :(which means a 50 mile trip to Coos Bay to get more .

I would love to be able to post pictures .

Then you could all see some of my quilts that I have done for clients , I could even put my smiling face like some of you have .

So much fun

Love this forum :D

That's APQS taking care of it's folks again!!! By the way, Amy is awesome! She helped me again yesterday and always with the best attitude. Never makes me feel like a doedoe (sp?) Though with that spelling, maybe she doesn't have to. I do a good job myself!!

Quiltsinmotion, why don't you go online to Staples or Viking or some other office supplies store and buy online. Save you a fifty mile trip. Or is tha 100 miles round trip. Viking is almost always (at least here in California) over night delivery. More time to read your quilt magazines.

Hello to all you newbies out there. Here's a note to you and maybe some of those not so new that just haven't experienced this because they haven't done something bad to their machine. So here is what happened shortly after I got my machine I got a ruler caught inbetween the hopping foot and the bar that goes up and down on the shaft (not very technical explanation here). Long story short: LOUD buz and then my machine wouldn't sew, just some of the buttons worked but nothing that would make the machine sew. APQS said I blew a fuse, the one that is in that little circle that you push in and turn to get it out. Rog was in Saskatoon and couldn't find one at a harware (where APQS suggested) and my thought was Radi Shack but he didn't get there. So I waited for APQS to send it and when she said, "Just one?" by now I was frustrated and said "send me five". So here I am 8 months later and the other day I was thinking the extra ones were probably overkill because I haven't needed one since. So a few days ago we had a storm and the power just flicked off and then back on and my machine was on at the time (but I wasn't near it) and it really buzzed, kids all yelling at me that my machine was making a horrible sound. But it still worked until this morning, nothing worked, it wouldn't even switch on. Yep, you guessed it, the fuse again. So, question for someone that knows more on this, should our machines be plugged into good surge protecters like they recommend for computer equipment? And for newbies, and all us that don't like being without a machine, having a few extra fuses around is probably a great idea, I am sooooo glad I had it this morning. I was just about to phone APQS and thought something horrible was wrong! I remember asking APQS several times when I bought my machine what I should stock up on, I was thinking things like hook assembly, stuff like that, I never though of fuses and they never recommended I buy some either!

So, what do you think?

Cher

Yes, I have mine on a good quality surge protector, but I unplug it from the wall when I'm not using it, too.

About a month or so ago, DH bought a really cool UPS (brand name Parachute?) for my computer and I love it and I think I will get another one of those for the longarm, too (it has lots of electrical sockets to plug in multiple things).

I should probably stock up on those fuses, too. You never know when it might be needed!

My Mille is plugged into a serge protector, on its own circuit, plus I unplug it when not in use. I would like to think that is good protection, but when the power flickers while it is turned on, the serger protector does a good job. The other day it flickered, and messed up the needle up/down button, but after a good 'nap', the next time I plugged it in, it worked just fine.

Just as I thought, I need to buy a good surge protector, I am sure that the loud buzz that it made with the power flick is what weakened the fuse the other day and then a few days later it just couldn't stand the full load (have been working her a bit hard the last few days!) I was going to take a picture and post it of a quilt I just did and forgot when I had a chance to send it back to a customer and had to get it ready really fast! Next time! It was soooo nice, pattern by Patchwork Pumpkin and I'll do one for myself and then show it to you all!

Cher

Bev and I have all of our Mille and the other sewing machines all plugged into multi port surge protectors. The computers are protected as well. We VERY SELDOM get any lightening activity in the area of Portland where we live so I think the surge protectors will cover the occasional surges we might get. We did Have a beautiful couple of hours of Lightening and Thunder yesterday evening so I went around and unplugged all of the machines and the microwave, the camera charger, etc. I am not sure that a small surge protector will cover a major jolt from a near hit of lightening.

Thanks for the new FAQ section. Much easier to check and see if an answer is put out there already other than having to read through so many posts. Not that it should eliminate everyone's great ideas, but it makes for a quick guide. I agree with Cheryl, how many times have we seen how to post a picture??? Now we will only have to look in one spot... Yeah.

Thanks again!

hows about adding things NOT to do

for example : do NOT place cleaning cloth/rag anywhere near needle/bobbin while the machine is running as the cloth can get sucked up and stuck behind/under the bobbin area. Very scary. Blows the fuse and causes great panic. I'm not the only one to have done this and would like to save others the experience. We can learn from each others mistakes

Also what to have handy, just incase like spare fuses

Only...... what fun would that be? :mad: (No, I am NOT mad.) How would we all meet newbies? Ok, Ok, I agree it would be efficient. But I love it when newbies ask questions I have an answer to. Makes me feel good, like I've learned something aleady, even though I don't have a LA. Yet. I guess I'm being self-centered.

(Sigh)

Alright. It gets my vote too. But DEFINITELY put in the "How to post a picture" one too! :D

Archived