Photos of Finished "Chain of Hearts" quilt

I am working on a quilt and maybe I am doing something wrong here, or not following the right process. I need your help, please.

I loaded the quilt (irish chain), then to stabilize the blocks I did SID around the outer squares of the pieced hearts and also the inside chain of the empty large pink space. I rolled the quilt and did this all the way to the bottom , then I stitched the backing and top together at the bottom so the top is no longer pinned to the top roller (only pinned to the bottom roller. Then, I rolled the quilt back to the top so I could start quilting inside the chain (a feathered heart) but as I was quilting, I noticed that the backing fabric now has little ripples in it. Did it stretch when I rolled it the first time?

When I was doing the SID the backing was nice and flat and no ripples.

Now that I have finished quilting all of the feathered hearts, I am going back and doing some quilting in the chain areas and outer border where the ripples are. I hope that it has ripples because it just needs to be quilted in those area, but it concerns me because maybe I stretched the backing too much as when I was doing the SID? It is a solid one piece batik backing and the top is not batik. I think the little ripples will go away after I quilt those areas... I HOPE!!! :o

OK you seasoned professionals, what is happening here? Is this normal and the ripples will go away after I quilt those other areas? Otherwise, what should I do to prevent this in the future?

Here is a photo of the "Unquilted" quilt top before I got it.

post--13461898366126_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm certainly no seasoned professional and I'm not even sure what you mean, but I'll jump in anyway. :) Do you see ripples on the rolled part, or underneath between the rollers where you are going to stitch? And do you have even tension on the sides? And did you stitch the top to the backing along the sides as well?

Thanks for asking, Cathey. No ripples on the roller part. Yes underneath between the rollers where I am going to quilt. Yes, I have the pony clamps on both sides. Yes I stitched the top and backing along the sides as well (I did this as the very last step)

About 30 minutes ago, I started quilting between the blocks and everything is going fine so far. I am not quilting any puckers on the back -- they are just little ripples but the quilting is going OK. Maybe these will go away later when it's off the frame?

I finished the quilt and it looks OK on the back...a lot better than I thought it would; barely noticable but still a few little tiny ripples here and there where it's not quilted (open areas). Maybe I stretched it too tight while on the roller? It seems to be relaixng and going back into shape again. I probably was worried about something that just fixed itself. Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the quilt now that it's done! :) Whew! (but I still wonder what causes this ripple) Is it best not to roll the quilt back and forth when quilting? Perhaps it's better just to roll and switch threads and quilting motifs as you move down the quilt (rolling only once)???

Hi Shana--

Glad to hear you finished that pretty quilt.

I think the reason you may have had tiny ripples in the backer is the way the sandwich is tensioned.

As you were partially quilting and then advancing the quilt, the sandwich wraps around the take-up roller with the top going around a shorter distance than the backer. Think of a REAL sandwich wrapping around the roller (ugh) with the top bread getting a little scrunched together and the bottom bread getting stretched out. (I don't even want to think about what happens to the peanut butter!)

Anyway, the backer will stretch a little between those larger unquilted areas but seem to be happy after all is quilted.

If you quilt as you go, the stretch is minimal because everything is stitched with the clamps on and on the flat area.This will stabilize the quilt as you go.

This is just supposition and maybe the brains from Iowa will chime in here!

Post some pics of that pretty-in-pink quilt please!!

Linda Rech

This is the quilt my guild pieced together for the young girl (driver of car) whose boyfriend and sister died in the car collision with a moose. What makes it even more horrible is these kids were on their way to spend time at their church's youth camp when the accident happened. Delta Junction is a small community so this accident really touched everyone in that little town. :(

I was given the honor of quilting it, and so glad to do my part in this team effort. It is a big quilt, queen size. I got lots of practice making feathered hearts and SID. This was made with love and hoping this quilt comforts her while dealing with in her loss.

post--13461898366269_thumb.jpg

I printed a heart shape on regular paper from the computer and cut it out and used it as a template for my purple erasable pen to make the heart spine outline. The feathers inside and outside are freehand. I've been practicing drawing on paper many times before doing this on the quilt.

Thank you, Sherry Rogers Harrison, for your wonderful Formal feathers book. Thank you Linda V Taylor for your DVD that shows how to make feathers, too. We are so fortunate to have these teachers to share their ideas. It really is so helpful to learn this way. :)

post--13461898366706_thumb.jpg

I have found the bit of rippling when I turn a quilt to stitch the side borders in one step.

I believe it is from the little bit of stretching that goes on and the folding on itself when it is wrapped around the roller. Also, the quilt is being shrunken( a word?) up from the stitching you have already done.

One solution I learned on a list (I can't remember which) is to spritz the backing with water from a spray bottle and let it dry. It is amazing how it shrinks back into shape. This method has made turning quilts much nicer without me dreading the ripples.:)

Freehand!!! You are my hero! I am in awe. You are so brave. :) I have one similar to that to quilt for Steve. It's an ebay quilt in blues. I am not brave enough to try freehand feathers yet, or am I??? Hmmm.... You did a fabulous job and you should be very pleased. I think the quilt is wonderful and will be cherished by the unfortunate. What a wonderful act of kindness.

Archived