Prewound Bobbins

What brand of pre wound bobbins do you like best for your Millennium and where are you ordering them from?

For almost three years I have been winding my own, because I like the top and bottom to match, but if I can find a prewound I like, I'm going to switch. I'm tired of winding them!

I use Superior threads almost exclusively, So Fine, King Tut, and Rainbow.

I've tried the Super Bobs. (Prewound Bottom Line), and didn't have a good experience so I gave up.

All suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Sue Kelly

I like winding my own bobbins too. But, it is cool that Superior will wind them for you.....

I guess what I would do is instead of ordering just one cone of So Fine in a particular color, I would order 2 cones and have them pre-wind the other. Interesting concept. Does anyone else do that? I really don't care for Bottom Line although I will use it if I need to.

For cardboard-sided pre-wounds, I insert the bobbin, make sure the bobbin spins clockwise when the thread is pulled, and then tear off the outside cardboard. My backlash spring isn't happy unless it is against the cardboard, so I never tear off the inside. Some people take both sides off and the bobbins work well for them that way. See what works for you.

I didn't know that Superior would do that. How do they charge for it? Maybe if they get enough requests they'll start offering Sew Fine on pre-wounds like they do BottomLine.

Has anyone tried the "Magic Genie Washers" in their bobbins? I bought some but haven't had a chance to try them yet since I've got a customer quilt on the machine. I don't want to have to frog a customer quilt if I don't like them.

I usually take both sides off, but occasionally the bobbin does get hung up on the backlash spring. I might have to try leaving the spring-side with cardboard still on.

The idea that Superior winds bobbins from a cone I purchase is very interesting. Do you know if they charge for that service or is it just the cost of the thread cone? Bob is a good businessman, I bet he has a charge for that. If they don't charge, that might be a pretty sweet deal for the quilter.

A cone of Bottom Line costs 11.80 and has 3000 yds. If that was made into bobbins, you would have about 25 bobbins at about 115 yds per bobbin. That makes each bobbin cost about .47 cents.

But if you buy prewound bobbins (115 yds) from Superior, they cost about $9 a dozen; so 2 dozen is 24 bobbins for $18.00. That makes each bobbin cost .75 cents.

Does anybody know what Superior charges for this service?

I had Superior wind a spool of Monopoly onto bobbins. I don't use this in the bobbin very often. But I have a large quilt which the customer wants Monopoly top and bottom.

I hate trying to wind this thread as it stretches. Also you aren't supposed wind a full bobbin. (I never know just how much to put on it). So the extra $0.50 per bobbing was worth it.

OK, so here comes the accountant again. Let me put on my visor and sleeve garters....:P

A cone of Bottom Line costs 11.80 and has 3000 yds. If that was made into bobbins, you would have about 25 bobbins at about 115 yds per bobbin. That makes each bobbin cost about .47 cents.

But if you buy prewound bobbins (115 yds) from Superior, they cost about $9 a dozen; so 2 dozen is 24 bobbins for $18.00. That makes each bobbin cost .75 cents.

So the cost if Superior winds the bobbins using the thread that I purchase from them, they will charge me .50 a bobbin service charge. It doesn't sound too bad until you do the math. A BL cone makes 25 bobbins:

$11.80 cone of Bottom Line

12.50 Service charge for 25 bobbins @ .50 each

??.?? Shipping

$24.30 for 25 bobbins.... that's .97 cents a bobbin. :o YIKES.

Now where is my bobbin winder?

More info...I sent my question re: winding bobbins using cones we buy to Superior. Bob emailed back to speak to Pat in the office. I guess that he has gotten this question more than once.

I scribbled notes:

First, I had always thought that Bob did not want to do business with onesy-twosy quilters, that he really just wanted to deal with distributors. Pat corrected me on that.

Quilters who have a business license/tax-id are welcome to order from Superior and get wholesale pricing. You just have to fax your business license/tax-id to Pat in the office:

435-652-4047. Include info such as phone # and email so she can get back to you.

The web-site shows retail pricing.

There are not minimums so if you want to try a a color

or BL prewound, you can order just 1 package with a dozen.

Yes, they will wind thread from a cone that you buy but it goes on plastic bobbins. I must confess that as soon as I heard that I stopped asking questions about pre-wounds. I hate those plastic bobbins; the noise bothers me. I should just turn up the music and get over it. What a whiner.... And plastic bobbins hold about 100 yds whereas cardboard hold 115 yards. And they will only do this special winding on "L" bobbins, not "M".

Pre-wounds (with biz license) go for $4.50 a doz, $26 for 72 bobbins and I think she said $48 for a gross (144). 25 colors of BL.

Thanks for doing the "leg work" I was going to ask about custom pre-wound when I placed my next thread order. I've been ordering at wholesale direct from Superior since day one (OK maybe day two- I had to wait for my tax number) so I never understood all the hoo-ha a few months ago. Once you are set-up as a wholesale account the prices on the website change when you log in. Technology can be good. Sorry to hear they use the plastic bobbins- I tried some of those when I first started and don't want to go there again. I still just Love Superior thread.

Leslie

Archived