Quilted Sweatshirt

Here is a reversible sweatshirt-based jacket I finished this winter. I used Dian Keeper's pattern, a cotton sweatshirt one size larger, and 3 3/4 yards of fabric. I isn't as warm as you would think (I guess because there is no ribbing to keep the wind and cold out) but it is big enough to wear a bulky sweater underneath. It took about 2 hours to load, stabilize, and quilt. Then another 2 hours to sew back together and bind.

post--13461899014476_thumb.jpg

That is a gorgeous jacket - I bet you get stopped alot when you wear it. Talk about great advertising for what you do, Linda!

When you put it back together, did you use a serger for the seams?

I would like to try this, but do not have a serger and am thinking that the inside of the jacket would not be so nicely finished if not serged.

Hi Barbara,

The pattern directed to do french seams--that is, sew the seam wrong sides together using a small seam allowance. Then flip the fabric to enclose the seam and sew again. The bulky seam is then pressed to one side and top-stitched down. Kinda like the seams in your jeans. That seemed like a lot of work, so I pressed the seam (sewn with the sweatshirt side out) and then covered it with twill tape to match the red. It still looks good reversed because the red is so bright. Hope I explained this OK. Serging would be a good option also, but I don\'t own one either.

It is fun to wear and I do get comments on it!

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

Patty Jo--yes, the sweatshirt is cut up the sides and the middle front, then layed out flat, spray basted (I used the blue label spray--I think June Tailor?) and then stitch-basted section-by-section. It went fast.

Wouldn\'t this be great as a wearable sampler of all your beautiful stitches and feathers and with your business name across the back? You could probably take off the sleeves and make it a vest--cooler than the jacket for Spring and Fall. See you soon!

Oh Linda I am LOVING That gorgeous quilting and all...

Except I see only one (very important) thing that is missing: YOUR SMILEY FACE wearing it! Honey, just grab those cute new Crocs you just bought and slip on that new quilty sweatshirt, then strike a pose and snap a photo for us! :) Pleeeeze???

Next time, K?

Love the sweatshirt. Beautiful quilting. I would love to do something like that myself. Can you share with us some more details on how to work it. Do you use a backing and batting in the middle and make a quilt sandwich? Any pictures to share of it in the process? Anything would be helpful for us newbies!

Hi all--

Dian\'s site is Keepers Kustom Quilting, I believe. She teaches at Innovations and has the pretty patterns for the quilted scenes of people that are done wholecloth-style and then colored--very pretty! I bought the pattern at Bayside Quilting.

As a quick over-view of construction of the jacket: ( this is exactly like a sweatshirt-to-jacket show done by Sewing with Nancy so I hope I am not tromping on copyright issues! If anyone objects I will delete this.)

Remove the neck, sleeve and bottom ribbing of a cotton sweatshirt--I used one with set-in sleeves as opposed to raglan-style sleeves. Mark and cut up the center front. Also, where the side seams would be, cut up there and all the way up the underarm to the wrist.

Assemble the lining--3 3/4 yards cut and seamed together (approx. 84"x 73") You will have enough for binding in this amount.

Load the lining with that seam going vertically. Advance the backer all the way. You will lay the prepared sweatshirt with the bottom center back placed on the seam and the sweatshirt evenly positioned on either side of the seam. The rest of the sweatshirt will just lay above the quilting area until you roll the quilted area down. Open the windows (!) and use spray baste to secure the flat, positioned sweatshirt down. Using a big stitch, baste right along the edges. Quilt, quilt, quilt the interior.

Advance the roller, position the shirt, spray baste, stitch baste, and quilt the next area. Watch that when you get to the sleeves, they are flat along the shoulder seam and that the sleeves wing out at the same angle.

Quilt, quilt, quilt. Put your business name/Logo prominantly across the back. Or not. Stitch your best filler, favorite flower, gorgeous feathers--go crazy!

After all stitching is finished, either remove from the rollers and cut around the sweatshirt, or with an extra pair of helper-hands, cut around the shirt on the rollers.

Trim close to the outside stitching and reassemble the shirt. I trimmed the sleeve seam--still too big, and then used my DSM to re-sew the sleeve/side seam. Try on to see if you like the fit. If not, trim where needed and re-sew. If you want it reversible, see the post above about finishing the seams correctly.

Trim the neckline at the front--either a vee neck, curved neckline, or like I did, left at an angle. After binding, I just tacked the "lapels" back evenly.

Closures can be buttons/buttonholes, buttons and loops (buttons on both sides work with the same edge-loops for reversibility), no closures, prairie points with buttons/snaps, whatever you can think of.

My friend took gorgeous buttons, removed the shanks, glued on those tack-pins with the pinch backs, and uses those to close her jacket. They work from either side because they are completely removable. When she wears the jacket open, she tacks those buttons on the lapels to hold them open. Too cute!!

OK everybody, lets make a jacket and post those pictures!!!

Great jacket Linda! Thank you for the inspiration. I had planned on doing a silk jacket in much the same way only was going to mount the lining like you did, draw on the top silk fabric with chalk the outline of the jacket pieces by tracing from the pattern, then quilt it using a single layer of Hobbs silk batting reduced by half its thickness (peals evenly). Cut out the individual jacket pieces from the quilted, marked cloth. The construction of seams would be a lap seam where the pieces are joined as normal, then one raw seam is trimming while the other overlaps with a fold and is top stitched on the inside of the garment resulting in a decorative line on the front side. I have a ready-made jacket with this technique which makes it somewhat reversible though I don\'t use the other side because of the pockets. I\'ll post a picture when I get it underway. Don\'t hold your breath. I haven\'t quilted in months since finishing the birthday blocks and our club\'s banner. Have fun wearing your jacket. You do such fabulous stitching and I\'m still in awe of your baby quilt donations which were fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki

Linda - it\'s beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration. I\'m sewing with a group a few times a month and we just started this type of project. I was really hesitating, not sure if I wanted to put the time in, but your instructions gave me a bit more confidence. I\'m now going to start thinking of the quilting I can showcase!!!

Archived