Air Compressor....

I am looking into getting an air compressor to use for blowing out the dust from the machine. I don\'t want to blow out my ears with noise (and also scare the dogs), but I also want it for airbrushing fabric. So I may have to give in to the noise...

Any suggestions on brand or what not to buy? Has anyone looked at the ones at Dick Blick art supplies or Dharma Trading Co? Or should I just go to Lowe\'s or Home Depot, if so, are these good for airbrushing paint?

Thanks

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I am fed up with the littlt cans that I have to shake and they still blow condensation out with the air.

I went looking for one of these compressors last weekend and came up empty. Like you, I want to use it in my studio, not to run a nail-gun or fill dune buggy tires. I know they make small ones. I\'ve hear that they run about $50-60. The only small one that I found was designed to be plugged into your car\'s cigarette lighter.

So I\'ll be watching for answers myself.

I was just at Home Depot yesterday, returning the Black and Decker air compressor I bought to replace those expensive air canisters. The B&D was the kind that inflates car tires and such. I thought it would be good for blowing away dust bunnies, but I was wrong. Little puffs of air.... I could blow harder!!

DH said I needed an ac with a tank, and the smallest one HD had was way too big. So, the hunt was on!

Last night I found this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2242749

I found a few others available online, but this one has free shipping if you have it sent to your local ACE Hardware store, and if I don\'t like it, or it doesn\'t work, I can just take it back to the store. Good for me!

Cheryl, it specifically says it is good for air brushing!

I am ordering mine today. I\'m excited.... I ran out of canned air, and man does it irk me to pay $4 or $5 for air!

I purchased one at Wal-Mart for around $40, it is small and runs on electric. The only problem that I have with that one is that the tank is to small. I can\'t blow out my machine enough without it kicking on. The one I have has a small blue tank underneath the compressor and is light weight. I wish I would have paid extra and got the next size bigger which was about $70. Then it would hold enough air without kicking on and scaring the dickens out of ya.

I have a little Husky air compressor, kind of looks like the one in the picture fro Ace Hardward. If you look around you can get a really good deal on these little air compressors. I think we paid $25 or $30 for mine the day after Thanksgiving....yes, I go out to the sales that day:). I think Wal-Mart has one that is reasonably priced. Also, someone posted a picture last week or so of a small canister type that they have strapped to the leg of their machine - very good idea.

i have the one from walmart. I\'m happy with it. It keeps 100 pounds in it and turns on automaticaly at 80. It scared my pets at first, but they quickly got use to it.

My DF fixed it to hold air. He put a longer hose with a end that has a push button and a valve at the beginning of the compressor. In total i think i have about $85 into it. that includes the extra hose and valves...

it has more than paid for itself. don\'t have to buy canned air at $10.00/can and no freon frezzing my machine..

JMHO

*hugs to you all*

My friend bought one from Home Depot...she took it back because it was so loud that she needed to wear earplugs to use it.

That is why I am wondering about the ones at the art stores, because their primary purpose is for airbrushing.

I hope others will post and tells us their experience.

Cheryl

You won\'t be happy with the ones for airbrushing. They are not strong enough to blow the dust away. I know because I

tried it with my airbrush compressor.

I got my big compressor at Odd Lots Or Big Lots for $50. It is loud but you only need to leave it on for a little while. Turn it

off when you are done cleaning.

I\'ve been reading about airbrushing and I think if you add some sort of regulator to the "big" compressor you can use it

for your airbrushing. Not sure that I understand completely but since I have a compressor for my airbrush I\'m not too

worried about it yet.

Another source would be Harbor Freight. They have an online store but I would think shipping would be a killer. We have

the store local.

Michele

I know they are alittle loud when they are building up pressure but I love my Air compressor.

I use it not only to blow out my machines longarm and domestic but I blow all the thread on the floor, blow all the dust off my longarm table. It is a handy little booger.

Mine came from lowes. I have it set for 120 lbs of pressure. A tad larger than I needed but my husband just wanted a larger one so he gave me his so he could get a new one. lol It works great. I never even attempted the canned air but once when I cleaned my machine the first time. I knew then canned air would break the bank. Over a dollar a can and if you quilt alot you could easily use a couple of these a day.

We live on a farm and my DH already has an aircompressor--but was too much ofa pain to lug his to the studio door and use that--so he got me an air storage tank for Christmas--18.98 at Sears--I fill it up in the machine shed and carry it to the studio--holds 110lb. of air--works for several cleanings! I love it!!!

Terri

I bought my husband an inexpensive one with the plan to use it for airbrushing his train stuff, also nail guns, etc. It died after about a year. Yes, they are noisy. However, a longer hose, and then putting it somewhere farther away from you helps. Mine (ours) is under the stairs, and set on a timer so I don\'t have to crawl under the stairs to turn it on. I pull out the hose, close the door on it, and blow out my girl. This one came from Sears, you can look at them online, and pre-order it which was quite handy. Good luck,

Beth

Michele...you have answered one of my questions regarding if the power on one designed for airbrushing would work for blowing dust...with the answer being no...so I need two different compressors unless on the larger compressor one can reduce the psi for airbrushing.

Cheryl

I won\'t have a chance to look at this today, but for those who might, here\'s a place dedicated to air compressors...maybe they can advise.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/

I\'m at the same place right now...my can is empty and I just don\'t want to buy another one.

I did a search for "quiet air compressors" and wouldn\'t ya know...there are plent out there around $1K and up! :o

Anita

Hey all, I bought a b/d air compressor from walmart. It looks just like the ones for your car but it runs off electricity. The trick to increasing the air pressure is to insert a ball inflater needle into it and close the latch. wallah more pressure. I have used one since 1994 and blow everything with it about $58.they are cheaper now.:P:cool::D

I\'m not understanding how blowing the bobbin would pack dust and such or build up. I don\'t see anywhere for it to go. At 120 lbs of air pressure I think it would come out.

I have my machine running and spray wd40 and the gunk just flies out. It runs better when clean. Not sure where else the gunk can go.

I clean my machine almost everyday so I rarely see GUNK as I put it. I figure if I keep it clean there will be little to build up anywhere. although I can see vacuuming a good idea before blowing it out with air and cleaner.

Also I take my head off and clean the inside although not often. I haven\'t seen it that dirty really. Constant maintance will prevent that I think. Who knows.

We have 2 air compressors in our studio. The factory uses one very similar to the one we use. They are available in many stores.

See this link:

http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/air_compressors/home_and_car_care_air_compressors/fp204800rb.html

Any compressor like this should be fine, you want a storage tank so it will cycle on and off. You do not need to operate it at full force 40 lbs or so would be fine, they have a regulated output.

John

Good to know, but I\'ll still use a vaccuum. An air compressor doesn\'t blow clean air, it may have oil residue, dust or water from the motor of the compressor itself. My husband used to use an air compressor to clean computers until he saw what was blown into the computer.

Archived