Basket Weave

Monkey see, monkey do, monkey had to do basket weave too. Lord have mercy Miss Agnes!!!!! It took me a week to do this last quilt. The quilt was a large (96 x 102) broken star quilt. The star was surrounded by black and this is where I put all the basket weave. I think it looks amazing. I\'ll post some pictures when I can hold my camera again. :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I didn\'t line up the basket weave on a couple of squares but geesh, I was crosseyed by that time. Anyway, heres a couple of pictures to share. If you want to see the rest you can go to my webshots album \'2008". hats off to you gals that did this before. I don\'t know if I\'ll do another one. (unless its for me of course). This quilt belongs to the LQS owner. She gives me lots of business so this one was free to her. I\'m just a lyon in a monkey suit. There\'s only one quiltmonkey!!!!:P

post--13461899471894_thumb.jpg

This quilt took me a week and yes it was a stencil. Love this quilt. Hope the owner likes it as well. She always gives me free reign to do whatever. She said the only thing she didn\'t want was to take away from the star and she wanted black thread in the black areas. I used smoke to do the outline and then filled in with black thread.

Carol,

That quilt looks amazing! She will love it. How can I learn how to do that beautiful basket weave? Still a newbie here. I\'ll probably consider myself a newbie for the next 20 years. This longarm stuff is alot harder than it looks! Off to your webshots to see the whole thing!

Thanks,

Carol

Lyon, WOW. Wish that belonged to MEEEE! You did a fantastic job on that. And I dont think you\'ll notice the basketweave not lining up unless it\'s brought to your attention. I think your safe there.

I\'ll bet your glad it\'s done tho! That\'s one big quilt! LOL! Nice job!

Carol,

That is just beautiful! I love the basket weave and it has been on my list of things to try. I have a carpenter Star to do and I think I may just use it there. Just beautiful. Ok when you change threads what did you do for your bobbin. I\'m getting better at having few pokies with two differrent color threads, top and bottom but I\'m still not 100% there. I just love the whole affect. On you cc\'s did you use a ruler or do it freemotion?

Carol,

I look at this quilt and the many other beautiful quilts posted in this forum and wonder...what in the world did I get myself into??? Will I EVER be that good?? :o

Your quilt is beautiful...no, wait--amazing...no, wait--phenominal...no, wait--incredible!! Oh heck, there are no words to describe it!! :)

I\'m in awe!!

Heidi-I used a gold polycore color thread on the bottom because the backing was a tomato red color with gold flowers on it. On the star I used "Ecru" by polycore. I switched to Smoke to outline the basket weave and used the same gold I used for the star on the back. When it came to filling in the spaces between the basket, I switched to black So Fine thread with a red Bottom Line in the bobbin. As for stitching the basket weave I backtracked a lot. When I ran out of backtracking options, I cut and buried the thread and started again. As long as you don\'t move the ruler, you shouldn\'t have any trouble following the same line back. I used a white General chalk pencil to mark the stencil. I tried pounceing but it came off and was too wide for an accurate line.

Dory - That\'s exactly how I feel everytime I look at the pictures shared here. There are some amazing long-armers out there. I seem to take so long to do custom I sometimes wonder if they are faster and have as many problems as I do. If I don\'t like something, I frog it and do it again.YUK!!

Ok, I just talked to the gal that makes these rulers to make sure it was ok to post something here.

You can find the rulers at MQX in Deloa Jones\' booth. These rulers allow you to easily do precise CC quilting. She is making 50 of them for the show, so I would head to the booth as soon as you can to get one. They probably won\'t last very long. I\'m not sure what sizes she is going to have in the booth, but she does make them in all sizes. If you like the ruler and want more, I can get you in contact with her. She might even have some contact information printed on the ruler.

Debbi

I did a huge queen last year for my SIL, and it was a major JOB!! Haven\'t done it again, but am getting into the mood again. I used both the small basket weave and the large basket weave on that quilt. Took me FOREVER!! I totally understand your \'pain\'.

Archived