Pennsylvania starBEST OF SHOW

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teresa

I really don\'t know about this one. It is a very pretty design. It definately is custom. Yes I would use different colors in the darker ones. Maybe varigated would be better in the center area. That way it would spark it up and tone it done. It would show up and take the edge off the solid areas. Not sure about the edges. Someone will chime in with more ideas.

I think this quilt is so beautiful.

And I agree, definitely custom. I see lots of SID. I would use a matching purple (hard to tell from photo) like Superior\'s So Fine Purple Iris #441 everwhre except the large light areas.

So Fine Putty #403 or Mushroom #404 in light areas around the plates and in the big rectangles on the top and bottom. Nowhere else, though.

I know that you will come up with some design ideas as wonderful as the DWR quilt that you recently posted. I hope that you will post s photo of the completed quilt.

Check out how Linzi did her star...I LOVE how she quilted this:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=10886

I would make sure to SID everything as well. (not necessarily the pieced border)

Maybe radiating lines behind the Dresden blocks in the white area

think about combining the purple and green areas in the middle and doing a large feather motif in those corners...maybe faux trapunto to make them pop out? Here is an example of what I mean:

Feather Motif

The bigger white border on the top and bottom would look nice with a centered swag and if you put a background design, carry that up the skinny border or a rope would look pretty in there too...

I would use a cream in the lighter areas and a variegated in the rest

Its actually a stencil that I bought a while ago that I never used because I am too lazy to figure out the repeats to go around the borders. :) So when I saw that the sashing disappeared into the border I dusted it off and marked it knowing I only had to turn one corner and I wouldnt have to line it up all the way around!

http://www.quiltingstencils.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5423

and the middle of the feather swag is part of this stencil:

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_40&products_id=3570

I talked to the owner of this quilt tonight, to share your wonderful ideas with her. Now remember, she only recently converted to allowing machine quilting; so she wasn\'t open to too many ideas.

Thread: she wants white or off white only. I talked to her some more and mentioned mushroom colored and the golden brown color and she said she thought one of those might be okay, but she definitely didn\'t want any green and DEFINITELY not purple. What a shame. I thought purple and teal would look awesome. I was also thinking some gold metallic would be neat. Alas, it is not to be.

As far as quilting- Nothing wild (whatever that means). I know I personally am SICK of feathers. It seems like that\'s all I do lately. I probably will do feathers in the star, like Linzi did; and I like the idea of rays coming out of the SID of the dresden fans; but what about that big purple and green corner triangle. When I look at it I see a heart shape, but I don\' t know how that would work out. Those outer squares are going to get treated as 60 degree diamonds, I think. I\'ve been looking at my Sue Patton book for ideas.

Oh my, Jessica!!! I just checked out your site with the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you teach me??? OH my!!! YOU ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! When you use a stencil like the feather and curves one, do you have to start and stop at each end of the line? Or is there a continuous line in that? Please tell me how you do that! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! I have sooooo much to learn!! I wish I was somewhere where there were allot of quilters so I could just go sit and watch them perform their magic!! I have so many questions!! Thanks for sharing your quilts with us and giving us ideas! All I can say is WOW!!!!:D

I see your customer doesn\'t want anything "wild", so she won\'t like this idea, but I think it would be cool to quilt fans in the purple outer area just around the medallion that echos the fans in the corners of the medallion. I see this is gold or teal - something that would really show.

Julia

I am CRAZY!! This quilt is going to take months to complete. I hve been working on it for about 3 hours. Of course that included figuring out a pattern, measuring for spacing, and creating a circle template, but all I\'ve gotten done is half of the top outer border.

I hope I can go faster once I get to the larger inner shapes.

post--13461899780102_thumb.jpg

Heidi, You\'ll have to wait a while. No only did I not get much finished, I\'m having to unsew what I did, or most of it. I evidently made some kind of mistake in my figuring. Now I\'ve got to tear out 5 of those circles and start over. It will just have to wait until I get back,since I\'m leaving in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Teresa, this is fabulous.

I love those circles. And the quilting you did in those on-point 4-patches is so beautiful. Yu can really see your work on the back.

What color thread did you use on that center mdeallion. It looks like purple thread in one part of the light fabric and then light thread in other parts. What did you use and did it give you any problems. That is some intense quilting and ruler work. Great job.

Archived