Lightweight, drapeable battings

Any recommendations on a batting that "breathes" and drapes (not stiff).

I am an ocean away from ordering rolls of batting, so I want to make sure that any batting I order will work (not hot, heavy and stiff) here in Hawaii.

I have ordered Warm & Natural and Soft & Bright (W&N) by the roll, - both okay, but kind of stiff especially when my quilting is dense.

Quilter\'s Dream Batting is what I\'d like to order - but are there any distributors on the West Coast that carry this? Shipping from the East Coast could be an expensive issue for me.

Hi Hawaii Barbara,

I use Hobbs 80/20 and the 100% organic cotton batting and I find it very drapeable and lightweight. I like the bit of "puff" the poly adds to the quilting with the 80/20 batting. I also find that there is very little if any lint build up with either of these two battings. Some people find the 80/20 a bit scratchy to the touch (because of the poly) I do not mind it however. I have both in a roll and quite like them.

Hi Barb.

The Warm Co has a new batting that is 80/20 like Hobbs. It is called Warm Bond and it is very soft and drapable. I think it is a lot softer than Hobbs 80/20. The salesman at MQS said that they sent it to all of the big name quilters and they all liked it. I\'m going to order a roll the next time I need to reorder Hobbs. The wholesale price is the same as Warm & Natural.

Debbi

I have one of the new bamboo battings....reason I didn\'t use in last quilt it was WAY to thin for what I wanted...so maybe that is the answer for you. Looks like it will sew up beautifully and there isn\'t much there...so should drap like you want it to.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 2 rolls of Mountain Mist Rose. JudyL has talked about it and loves it. She brought me a large piece of it to try and I\'m sold! It\'s not as heavy as Quilter\'s Dream, and drapes really well. I\'ve not had good luck with the Hobb\'s Heirloom. I bought a roll of the bleached 108" wide that had pieces of black batting mixed in it. It was also nubby and I usually had a terrible time with pokies.

Many folks think of Walmart or cheap batting when you hear the name Mountain Mist, but this is nothing like that. Judy sold me!

Hi Barb,

I prefer breathable batting, too. W&N has a similar composition to Hobbs; W&N is 87% cotton/13% Poly (read the small print);) They are both wonderful for drape and show quilt definition even though theey are a bit flat. It\'s hard to beat the deal with a Joann\'s 40% coupon.

The Quilter\'s Dream cotton - all grades are 100% cotton. Deluxe cotton is my favorite, 100% cotton and probably too heavy for your island. The next thinnest is the Select grade which is a midloft, good drape and shows quilt definition. But the Request grade is lowloft and drapable - won\'t show quilting much though. If you have a biz license/seller\'s permit, QD has no minimums so you can get a box with 4 kinds of batting and see what you like best. Ask about specials on shipping. They have west coast specials for rolls. May apply to Hawaii. Doesn\'t hurt to ask.

I saw and felt the bamboo at MQS and it was so light but I have never used it. It is 50-50 Bamboo fiber and cotton. No idea of the shipping.

Soft and Bright by Warm Co is 100% p o l y e s t e r. It shows great quilt definition and has moderate drape. It breathes as much as a plastic bag. ;)

I love Quilter\'s Dream wool. Most people think wool is heavy. It is light and breathable and drapes beautifuuly. Quilting definition is beautiful.

I have used Hobbs before; however, I find it dirty with seeds and lots of "spots." Has this improved any?

Sandra

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by SandraG

I love Quilter's Dream wool. Most people think wool is heavy. It is light and breathable and drapes beautifuuly. Quilting definition is beautiful.

I have used Hobbs before; however, I find it dirty with seeds and lots of "spots." Has this improved any?

Sandra

Sandra,

It doesn't seem overly dirty to me but Il bring a sample of it to camp for you and you can see for yourself.

Originally posted by SandraG

There was a time that was true...but in the past couple of years I haven't seen any seed in the product....

• 4 months later...

Thanks SandraC....I guess that answers that question. I normally run really fast when its a Mountain Mist product, but will be willing to stop at Joann's and give a look-see. They very well could have changed in the last 8 years or so and improved their poly batting....before it was scratchy like a scouring pad, and it was hard to quilt and the quilt would almost stand in the corner by itself.

Archived