Folded Flower meets feathers galore

This is another king size. I seem to get quite a few of these. It was a class project and most of the other students had more folded flowers but they only made a lap-size. She will be giving it to her son and DDIL. She wanted feathers and wool batting. The backing is pieced burgundy flannel. I\'m so happy that Quilter\'s Dream now has king-szie wool.

I used Suzanne Earley\'s Meandering Magic with big fluffy feathers. I am just loving the freedom of doing those feathers free-motion from edge to edge. Suzanne\'s class at MQS has paid for itself and the airfare to get there !:D :D

I stitched over the corners of the folded flower blocks being careful not to stitch on the flower itself. I wanted the flower block to be stabilized. Then after I was done and started to unroll it, I thought that the back would look cool if I did some ruler work around those flowers. It was a bit tricky because of the flowers and the bead but it was so worth it. My customer loved it it.

But the best part is when I took it to the LQS to show it off. Another LA\'er with the computerized system loved the feathers. She asked how I had gotten around the flowers when I was doing the panto...."This isn\'t a panto. This is my freemotion quilting." It was so nice to hear that my work is nice enough to be mistaken for a professional designed panto. This LAer does not do freehand yet, just the stock computer patterns so far. And no ruler-work yet. It took me a while to get comfortable with a ruler.

Here is the front:

front-14.jpg

A close-up of the borders:

borders.jpg

A close-up of the folded flower:

flower.jpg

The back of the quilt:

back-10.jpg

Linda,

Beautiful feathers. Did I see some bump bump feathers there (Claudia inspired)? I\'m looking close and I think so. They look good. I\'ve been toying with them too but I have to think so I don\'t keep switching between the two.

Again, beautiful quilting.

Donna

Well, I am so impressed with this quilt-you made me sign up and join the forum instead of just watching from a far. Your quilting is beautiful and your photography even better!!!! No only did you do a great job-I agree whole-heartedly about stitching around the folded folders-brilliant- but you gave us such a good look at your work! You do rock!!!

I like the way you hung the quilt. Do you have a curtain rod installed in your studio? I\'m thinkin\' I need something like that. Would be fabulous for a client to walk in to pick up their quilt and see it hanging so beautifully. Hmmm... Need to get the old man working on that one. . .

Lisa T

Linda--what a nice piece of eye candy to eat my breakfast to this morning!!! Such fitting quilting designs for the quilt--and with that wool I bet it looks even better in person!!!

I have done the Magical Meandering for myself a few times--and this week put it on 2 customer quilts--will have to see what they say!!

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks so much for your kind words. This is my second Meandering Magic since taking Suzanne Earley\'s class at MQS. The book really steps you thru the entire process. The end result looks way more difficult than it is. I think that is why I didn\'t try it until I saw Suzanne using the technique at MQS. I learned some lessons on the first quilt and was very pleased with how this one turned out.

Lisa T - Welcome to the forum. The quilt hanger is a photo backdrop setup from Amvona. Here is a link to their products. You can sometimes catch these on sale, just have to check with them periodically.

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/category&category_id=a4c84469eccbfcedff404a861ad6e3fb

I tried using a curtain rod but I wanted to be able to raise/lower the rod (with a kingsize quilt on it) without help. I also try to display the customer quilts in my foyer when the client is coming over to pick it up. That way they get to see it front and back.

Heidi - I do my meander (huge stipple) for the entire quilt and then roll it back to the top and start quilting the feathers.

It is supposed to be a BIG meander so you can fit feathers on from the top and bottom without overlapping lines. Each curve is at least as big as your fist. Don\'t put your meander too close to the rollers/edges. If I quilted myself into a corner and left a blank spot, I just filled it with a nice ribbon or curl. I use whimsical feathers. I think that Jodi Robinson (echo feathers) would also work great on this. I would like to do the bump-bump feathers but, like Donna (above), that would require concentrating on the pattern. If I drift off for even a second, I fall right back into the whimsey feathers.

The only down-side that I see to these feathers...well, other than that they are addicting. It uses a LOT of THREAD. I used 16 - 215 yd bobbins for this 112" x 118" king-size. That\'s over 3,000 yds of thread in the bobbin and another 3,000 yds for the top.

Linda,

Wow that is a ton of thread! Thanks for the details on the meander. I know I\'ve done it for smaller things but wasn\'t too sure about edge to edge version. Yes your are right that Jodi\'s feathers would look great on this. I\'ll have to give it a try. I already have a quilt that I can do it on...now I just have to get it loaded!

Archived