Frustrated...need some diagnostic help

Why do I experience problems when the apqs techs are off duty??? Can some of you who are more experienced with your machines help me out with this?

I am trying to sew with Superior Masterpiece thread (it's a 50 weight cotton). I am using matching thread in the bobbin (prewound L bobbin just like the ones that came with my machine). My top thread frays and breaks every inch or two. Here is the clue: each time, the end of the top thread has a little curl in it. That must mean something, right?

We're supposed to be able to use any thread in the machines. Dawn C. gave me some great advice about using cotton threads. She said to loosen the bobbin tension drastically, then do the same to the top tension, then gradually tighten the top tension until I get a nice stitch. I tried that. I changed the needle, I re-threaded, I cleaned. No dice. Does that curling end on the breaking top thread ring a bell with anyone or must I wait until Amy comes on duty tomorrow? Thanks, Nancy A.

Masterpiece is a piecing thread.....not really a thread for the longarm. I tried it once before I knew that little tidbit of info and got very frustrated with the breaking thread.

You would have to go really, really slow to get it to work, I would think. I'd switch to Sew Fine if you have a color that matches.......

The curl at the end indicates that the thread is being snapped off. As Laurie said, Masterpiece is not shown on the Superior Thread website for use on a Long Arm for QUILTING, only piecing, applique, and bobbin. There is a note that if it is used as a top thread, that the upper tension must be loosened and a slow speed used. (It also indicates to use a small 3.0 needle) The break is happening when the take-up lever pulls the thread back up to finish the stitch and pulls it too tight for its strength. It is only a 2-ply, small diameter, thread as contrasted to a 3-ply for most of the other types.

johnmach

Thanks for your input. I'm aware that Masterpiece is a piecing thread...it's also the lowest lint 50wt cotton thread there is. Since several famous people use 100 weight silk on their longarms and others use Bottom Line in the top & bobbin, I thought I'd be able to use the Masterpiece on my apqs machine. It works just fine in my Brother 1500S.

Would love to hear if anyone has had success with this thread. Or can anyone suggest a cotton thread that is apqs friendly? My machine sews beautifully with poly threads but I want options. Thanks again for such informed advice & opinion, Nancy

I agree with Shana. I sometimes have to loosen both so much that my tension nut is hanging off the edge of the bolt by as much as 1/8 of an inch. If you get loops on top you've gone too far.

I also use my Towa gage for the bobbin and run it at about 110 to 150 (thats 11-15 on the old gages) and then just experiment with the top.

It might have something to do with the make up of Masterpiece as opposed to just the diameter/weight. I have no idea, I haven't used it on the LA. But I am one of those that runs the 100 wt and Glitter and such, so I'd try it, I'll try anything once. I'd just have to be willing to make adjustments until it's the way I want it.

Also try not going around the duck bill (3 hole guide) thru all 3 holes. Some threads I only go around the fist one and then into the tensioner.

I used Masterpiece in a customer quilt when it first came out- (before they decided it wasn't so LA friendly) I had to loosen the tension but the real key seemed to be going REALLY REALLY slow. I have heard people use it for fine detail work, microstipple and such and I think it would work, but I was doing a big open (read high-speed) panto and the thread really didn't like it. I have now moved those cones to my sewing room where they work just fine.

I have used the Masterpiece on my Millie one time. I also experienced the thread breakage on a regular basis until I really loosened the tension. I normally use "so fine" which is also a 50 wt thread, but it is poly and is much stronger than the cotton masterpiece, so my tension had to be much looser than what I run the "so fine" at.

It can be done, it just takes a bit of time to find the right "sweet" tension. However, I don't think I would use it again.... since it breaks that easily, what will happen over time to the quilting???? Hmmm, scary to think of those threads popping down the road. :o

Nancy,

Masterpiece is one of those very few "fussy" threads that won't want to run well. I guess I should have said "nearly" all threads will work! :) All the advice you've received so far has been great. Here are a couple more tricks to try before you give up:

1. If I remember correctly, you are using George, is that right? Slow the motor speed down with the rotary dial so that it restricts your "top" sewing speed. This will help to reduce the needle flex as you compensate for the slower motor by moving your fabric slower.

2. Try treating the spool with "Sewer's Aid"--a liquid silicone product available in the notions department of the fabric store.

3. As Tracey suggested, skip all but the last hole of the three-hole thread guide before passing the thread through the tension disk.

4. Start with the needle in the "down" position so that it will cycle to the "down" position when you lift your foot off the pedal. This slows down the sewing motor for that last stitch and can help prevent "recoil" when the thread is pulled taut for the last stitch.

5. Switch to a larger eye needle (you didn't mention what size you were using, but try a 4.0). That may help reduce the "sawing" effect the eye has on the thread.

6. Loosen the bobbin case even more.

Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by Mrs.A

It works just fine in my Brother 1500S.

I know it runs great in a Brother 1500 (I use to have one and used it all the time), but the motor on the Brother isn't anywhere near the same SPM that the Millies or other APQS machines are when running at full or a good speed...you would have to really dial down the speed on the Millie to run this thread successfully... As stated Masterpiece is a good quality thread, but not really meant for quilting.

I love Masterpiece in my Bernina for piecing because of the low lint factor but I won't use it again on my Millie. I was only working on a sampler and had to really loosen the tension to get it to work. I love the low lint So Fine and Bottom Line for my Millie. Usually I see very little lint from the thread with these in the machine. Good luck!

Originally posted by AnnHenry

If 40 weight thread is universally recommended for longarms, why are we trying to make a 50 wt. Masterpiece work? Masterpiece is perfect for what it was intended for - piecing and applique; why try to put it where it doesn't perform brilliantly?

I have used Masterpiece on the Millennium for microstippling and very dense McTavishing -- that sort of stitching. As everyone said, I had to do a bit of tweaking the tension but not a whole lot, and it worked just fine.

Just don't forget to re-adjust the tension if you're going back and forth between Masterpiece and a heavier thread.

Archived