What else will I need?

Don't forget an understanding hubby or significant other! They might feel neglected for a while.

Seriously though it sounds like you have lots of what you might need to get started. I didn't get too much before I got my machine because I wanted to play first and see what I liked or didn't like. You will probably want a couple of curtain rods to hold up the clamps so they don't hit your base or machine. A good pair of scissors for clipping threads. I couldn't live without my apron. Don't forget batting. I spent a good deal of time doing quick tops to play on too. Relax and have fun!

So far I have everything that has been suggested including the chocolate! I need a good place to get batting (I like Hobbs 80 X20) on my Janome. I do have an understanding Hubby. I will get the curtain rods tomorrow. I don't have a cook nor a cleaner and it is evident once you enter the house. Is the extended base just a ruler base? I'm not sure what the Hartley is.

Hi and congratulations or ordering a Lenni, I was just playing on Lenny, my Penny, a while ago.. having a ball.

The Hartley extended or expanded base is a ruler base that just slips on or off the machine.. When I got Penny, last Dec. there were two ruler type devices with it, one for straight line or sid short, and the other a few inches longer. It helps when you want to make a straight line and don't have channel locks, or templates to follow. These Are thicker than a regular roller cutter ruler is.

Strong constitution, don't get discouraged, keep encouraging yourself.. if you make a booboo, try that step again and congratulate yourself for doing better, instead of being depressed because the other was worse.. That's put pretty strongly, and not what I meant.. gently keep encouraging yourself, and don't dwell on a couple bad stitches.. and do frog when needed.

You will do well, just plan to play a lot when you first get Lenni and get to know it, and let it get to know you.

So excited for you, I even feel like bouncing off the walls again. bounce, boing, boing..

RitaA

You need the magnetic bowl to hold your pins. (Home Depot) You need coursage pins or some other pins to hold the fabric to the canvas. You need a roll of blue painters tape. Sandpaper/gripper dots for your rulers.

You can throw away every safety pin you own if you used to pin baste your quilts! This alone makes Lenni worth buying. If I never pin baste another quilt in my life I will die a happy person.

My expander base did not fit snug on my Lenni. It moved a bit which I now understand it should not have. Maybe you won't have the same problem. If you do have this problem, slip a piece of batting between the arm and the base to snug it up. This base is money well spent.

I needed to buy a bobbin winder. The bobbin winder that came with my Lenni was just the small plastic traveling kind and I found it did not work well with the cones. I see nobody else mentioned this so I am kind of wondering how everyone winds their bobbins?

This isn't something you will need but I also just bought the pattern port form the pattern man. I only did a test trial with and it is fun. If you want to be able to use the laser light for patterns from the front. Here is the link. You will have to click on notions and scroll down to see what I am talking about.

http://www.patternman.com/

I am checking on everything you all (ya'll) have suggested. The Patternman's port looks good. It is always interesting to see how much things cost in this business. They are right proud of the pattern port and it looks so (sew) simple. Am I the only one here who is not going to do this as a business? I plan to only quilt a bit to pay for my habit - that's it. We have 2 universities here so they should keep me in t-shirt quilts (heck I only need one a month)! :cool:

The bobbin winder is a bit annoying. I can get it to work ok but I can never get more than a half a bobbin to wind. I am exploring other options. I was told you could use your Home Machine but I have Husqvarna machines and the bobbins don't fit those. If others have ideas I too would love to hear them.

I bought for hobby/charity purposes only too. Not the least bit interested in going professional. Lenni is my stress reliever from my day job. If I ever need a really special quilting job I will give it to a professional for sure.

Hi I have already ordered my Lenni and anxiously waiting his arrival. I bought Myrna's Beginners DVD. I have watched it and it is very informative. I plan to watch it a few more times so when my machine comes I will have a better understanding of loading etc. I am still trying to think of a name. I think he looks very masculine so will probably be a boy's name.

Originally posted by Renae

Flower head pins work really good to attach your fabric to the leaders because they are so flat.

Renae

Ya, know since hmerrill (Heidi) ...mentioned using a florist stapler, I haven't used a pin to pin my quilts....WAY easier, than pinning and it rips right off and doesn't harm the leaders or the quilt..... THANKS HEIDI.....way faster and now I get more done in a day.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Originally posted by Renae

Flower head pins work really good to attach your fabric to the leaders because they are so flat.

Renae

Ya, know since hmerrill (Heidi) ...mentioned using a florist stapler, I haven't used a pin to pin my quilts....WAY easier, than pinning and it rips right off and doesn't harm the leaders or the quilt..... THANKS HEIDI.....way faster and now I get more done in a day.

Bonnie - wish I could take credit but it wasn't I who started it! I can't remember who originally posted it but I gave it a try and I'm with you! LOVE IT! I did learn to make sure the flat side of the staples is on the leader side and the ends are on the quilt fabric. I have been using it for months and haven't had one problem. If I use a really delicate fabric I just use my staple remover to take the stables out. I use the flat staple remover that kind of look like a little pen with a hook on it that you slide under the staple, not the pincher type. Works great.

I'm not impressed with the sidewinder bobbin winder either.

Fortunately my Bernina domestic machine winds the bobbins beautifully. I also have a Pfaff domestic and the bobbins do not fit that machine.

Could I suggest that APQS include a decent bobbin winder?! I was very surprised that after paying $10,000 for a 'complete' quilting system, that a decent bobbin winder was not included. Now off soap box!

Judy

As far as a bobbin winder goes, I use my old DM - a Riccar - it uses the "L" bobbins and it winds them at least twice as fast as the on-board winder that came on my Millie. Maybe look at old DM's in Craigs List, or E-bay or ??? Just a thought to get one that will work better. And you would also get a back up DM in case you ever need it!:)

Archived