Kindle Fire WORKS!!!

DoryJM

For the last several years, I've wanted a tablet that I can draw directly onto the uploaded picture of a quilt. Dennis got me a Kindle Fire for my birthday and my friend and I hunted for a program that would allow this. Its a bit convoluted, but it works.

Sketchbook Pro was the program I used for drawing. I opted for the pay version at $1.99.

Then I needed a stylus; however, the stylus I have has a fat tip. Luckily I was able to adjust the density of the line produced in the program to make it thinner, but I'm on the hunt for a stylus with a normal, pen-like tip. I think that will make drawing easier.

Install the program, take a photo of the quilt and then e-mail the photo to yourself. Download it into the gallery on the Kindle. Open Sketchbook and import the photo. Make it larger, draw on it, and return it to its original size. Save it back into the gallery and then e-mail it from the gallery to whomever. As I said, its a bit convoluted, but it works!

post--13461908105934_thumb.jpg

Good morning ladies.

I was in Bestbuy in Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, and talked to the Apple guru that I bought my IPad from. I said I was looking for a small tipped stylus to "draw".

I said I wanted a to draw on a quilt photo on the IPad from pictures I had taken.

He showed me a program called "NoteShelf".

He held down a "key" (with his finger) which brought up the options for the size of line. It was perfect. He brought up a picture from his Ipad, a face, and drew glasses, eyebrows, etc., then he took a picture of this foot, just to show how, and drew on that picture. I think he did some magic thing to make different layers as well???? All was just done using his finger tip.

I haven't downloaded it yet to try but he sure made it look easy! I am sure it will take (me) a while to figure on how to do all that - the good thing is I know where he works. lol

HTH - maybe today (when my much more computer literate daughter-in-laws are here) we will download it. I have no idea how much it will cost. lol

Joan

Originally posted by Joan did it

Good morning ladies.

I was in Bestbuy in Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, and talked to the Apple guru that I bought my IPad from. I said I was looking for a small tipped stylus to "draw".

I said I wanted a to draw on a quilt photo on the IPad from pictures I had taken.

He showed me a program called "NoteShelf".

He held down a "key" (with his finger) which brought up the options for the size of line. It was perfect. He brought up a picture from his Ipad, a face, and drew glasses, eyebrows, etc., then he took a picture of this foot, just to show how, and drew on that picture. I think he did some magic thing to make different layers as well???? All was just done using his finger tip.

I haven't downloaded it yet to try but he sure made it look easy! I am sure it will take (me) a while to figure on how to do all that - the good thing is I know where he works. lol

HTH - maybe today (when my much more computer literate daughter-in-laws are here) we will download it. I have no idea how much it will cost. lol

Joan

That's exactly how the other program works also on the iPad. We do the drawing with either our finger or the typing stylus but the thin to thicker lines are controlled by the program. This information just incase you want to try both apps to see which you like better.

The "thickness" or "thinness" of the actual drawing line should be controlled by the program itself. Not the stylus. I use Adobe Ideas on the iPad. I can use my finger tip or my stylus.

Also, one of the neat features of Adobe Ideas is that if your drawing line is not perfect as you are in the process of drawing ---when you click finish---Adobe Ideas "fixes" any jiggle or wiggle of your drawing line! Amazing!

Originally posted by DoryJM

Kathy...did you order the Jot?

I ordered the box wave capacita which is a two in one stylus. A pen size and regular size. I should receive it this week. I will post my findings once I try it out. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Even with the line setting at its finest it still seems thick in this program with the regular stylus. I can get a finer line with drawing with my finger but not as much control

I've adjusted the size of the line in the program, which does work. Problem is, while I really can't draw well with a pen/pencil, I certainly cannot draw with my fat finger. I'm hoping the thinner stylus will do the trick. Please let us know how the wave capacita works, Kathy...that'd be great!

Shirley, you have to have the right kind of stylus. (I tried using a Wacom Table stylus and it didn't work) You can go to Amazon and put in "Kindle Fire Stylus" and come up with tons of them. I may try the Jot Classic because it has a more pen-like tip. I can't use my finger and get any kind of result that I like.

Morning ladies: I don't have a tablet so I am looking for a program for my laptop that would allow me to draw quilting lines on a picture of the quilt top. I see in the string on this subject that there is a program for laptops. Please tell me the name of the program and where to buy it - and does it work as well as the program for a tablet? Thanks. Ja

When I mentioned my laptop its used in conjunction with my Wacom tablet. I don't know of an actual program like stretchbook. Unless its photoshop, adobe illustrator or adobe Indesign these mentioned programs cost big bucks. I just put Indesign on my laptop and it was well over $500. If there is something else or works like stetchbook I too would like to know.

Ja, the program I use is called Sketchbook Mobile and is specifically for phones and tablets. I hunted all over for a program where I could draw directly, but without having a tablet computer (Dell makes one now that looks interesting), I couldn't find where you can do it. The biggest problem is that the screen on laptops is not sensitive to touch, whereas phones and tablets are.

You can do it with a tablet, like Bonnie suggested, but that didn't work well for me.

I have been wanting a tablet for some time now. I think I am just going to buck up and save my $ to get an IPad. I want to be able to take pictures with the tablet, so I don't have to do all the downloading and then moving it here and there. They'll probably be out with an IPad 5 by the time I get my $ saved up!!! ha!!:P:P

Originally posted by DoryJM

I've adjusted the size of the line in the program, which does work. Problem is, while I really can't draw well with a pen/pencil, I certainly cannot draw with my fat finger. I'm hoping the thinner stylus will do the trick. Please let us know how the wave capacita works, Kathy...that'd be great!

Okay, the capacita is much better than my previous stylus, still thicker than I would prefer, but better control. I think it has a better weight in my hand. With the line set to it's thinnest option in Sketch pad I can get a very decent result.

Archived