Wild Women in Quilting- Unlimited Possiblities Magazine Nov 2007

Karen McTavish

yo!!

Ms Karen T your tats just make your light and your feathers shine brighter

the only advice I would give is make sure you keep those upper arms nice and tight (long arming, riding your bike, playing tunes and whatever) so your feathers don\'t end up wilted in your armpits!!

speaking from post menapauseville I now have to work at keeping all of my upper arms waving at the same speed!!:P:P:P

and speaking from experience finding joy in everything seems to be a by-product of recovery maybe it takes hitting a wall before you wake up to the world

thanks for being here and it doesn\'t hurt that you are a Minnesota girl (me too)

-dale aka moonwoman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen,

You are a unique and wonderful person. (Not to mention, extremely talented. I remember a cartoon where a pilgrim was being tied down by a bunch of turkeys. The caption was "Don\'t let the turkeys get you down." Karen, don\'t let those little turkeys get you down. Just continue on being yourself.

A couple of years ago I was sitting in a pew at church when a new family sat down in front of us. The teen-age daughter sat in front of me. All the way through church I stared at the girl\'s hair. It was red at the roots and then gradually went through the shades of orange, gold and then palest yellow at the ends. It was all in spikes. I absolutely loved it! I told her that after church. She had a rather shocked look on her face when I said that. Can you imagine being a rebellious teen-ager and having a 50+ old lady tell you that at church. I\'m sure she probably went home and dyed her hair jet black. I even went so far as to discuss doing it with my hairdresser. She had a shocked look on her face, too. Then she reminded me that my fine hair wouldn\'t spike if I used a bucket of hair gel and that I held a rather conservative job where red to orange to blonde hair probably wouldn\'t be acceptable. Not to mention that my husband and children would probably faint if I did something like that.

Hmmmm! I\'m not in that job anymore. Maybe I\'ll reconsider that hairstyle/color again. I am an "artist" and artists don\'t have to conform. I wonder if basteing glue would hold my hair in spikes.......

Karen,

Too funny! I also have a huge tatoo. It\'s an Indian direction wheel with 3 horse heads (my horses) and a huge spear with feathers. It takes up the top third of my back. I designed it. I like it. And it won\'t wash off!

My husband said there were three things he would not marry. A redhead (too fiesty), a cop (in the same line of work), and a woman with a tatoo (I don\'t know why). Well, I\'m all three (only I\'ve been a retired cop for 2 weeks now).

He lived in terror that his mother would see the tatoo and freak out. He tried to get me to wear clothes where it wouldn\'t show at all. Yeah right, talk to the hand! I\'ll wear what ever I want that\'s suited to the temperature. I would like to have more tatoos. I have a few in mind when I can get around to it. Actually, his mother took it just fine. The first time I ever met her was when they came for a visit when our daughter was about 6-8 months old. They lived back east and eventually moved here to CA. We get along just fine.

If someone doesn\'t like it I ask them why they wasted their breath complaining about it. If they don\'t want one, don\'t get one. It\'s a personal choice that means something to the one who has it. So I guess I\'m a wild woman quilter too. Oh boy, the stories I could tell!:P

Tracie...Actually....there was warranty work that needed to be done on it about 6 weeks later and he made the appointment drove it down to the dealer and pulled up, went in confronted the idiot and then said it would be a "cold day in h---" before he would let them work on his truck and then drove it down about 35 miles to Carson City to have the work done. Hubby said they just stood there and looked at him while he walked out.

I\'m not sure that they even remembered him, but he got his pound and was satisfied.

Hey, with my line of work (oil industry/pipeline) over the past 19 years, I have worked with many welders, pipefitters, and blue collar boys. There is some major talent and skill involved with a being welder and a good one is worth his/her weight in gold. Welders are some of the smartest people I know (you have to be) and they work hard. Having a good weld on your pipe is crucial for the integrity; especially an oil pipeline. You don\'t want any of that stuff leaking out of the pipe!

Welders make good money up here and most welders I know have nice homes, nice vehicles, nice families and they have a very good life. :) At first glance, some of the welders I\'ve met seem a little rough around the edges and look tough on the outside, but trust me I know, under all that crusty rough/tough exterior, there is a big mushy marshmallowy nice person underneath. LOL :P Just cuz he\'s got grease and slag on the outside of his coveralls, he washes up just the same and under all that there is a good decent human being. Never judge a book by the cover, I say.

My dad use to work for a steel mill ("US Steel" in Indiana, retired 3 years ago) total blue collar all the way and after his shifts he always looked like something the cat dragged in, grease and filth from head to toe, lol.

Anyways he met with some financial advisors awhile back and was told that he will never even have to touch the cash in his IRA\'s, 401K and other investments he has because of his pension and his social security. He has built himself a substantial nest egg on the blue collar salary over the years. It was a hard and honest living, and now he is able to sit back an enjoy life without having to worry about finances.

Just finished my UPM! Ferret\'s article was really good, I really enjoy hearing about how the industry is developing in Europe and the UK. Ferret, if you\'re out there, thanks for the beautiful pictures and a well written article. It seems that you are on the leading edge, I\'m excited for you!!

You know, Karen, your tattoos are most wonderful. I have burn scars on my arms from many years ago and I would replace them in a millie-second to feathers just like yours if I could. When I saw the first picture of you, I laughed with joy, jumped up from my chair, gathered my coworkers to come see and wished I could have hugged you. You have given my something to smile about on stressful days. I loved meeting you in person at MQS in 2006.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I know, under all that crusty rough/tough exterior, there is a big mushy marshmallowy nice person underneath. LOL :P

LOL!! :P:D I am picturing the huge Stay Puff Marshmellow Man

from the movie Ghostbusters....."Who Ya gonna Call??"

I refer to my man as a big hairy Teddy Bear - he does give

really great hugs! After a long ride on the bike, I do perfer if

he talks a shower to clean-off any bugs- - then its time for hugs!

Originally posted by kennan100

Just finished my UPM! Ferret\'s article was really good, I really enjoy hearing about how the industry is developing in Europe and the UK. Ferret, if you\'re out there, thanks for the beautiful pictures and a well written article. It seems that you are on the leading edge, I\'m excited for you!!

Thanks, I haven\'t seen it yet, but it sounds like the editor did a good job on it. Europe is a bit behind in longarming, proabbly due to all the machines being made the other side of the pond and very expensive to get over here, but we are gaining ground.

Oh I can\'t wait for my copy to arrive.....

Ferret

• 1 month later...

I\'m not even that great a quilter, and I have two tatoos and a motorcycle! I could also care less about what other people think about me! It\'s my life to live, and I\'m going to live it the way that I want.

I\'m a little on the young side for the quilting world, and I think it\'s great that you proudly flash your tatoos! It makes you unique, and it breaks the stereotype that all quilters are liitle old ladies that have nothing else to do. No one here wants quilting to become a "lost art," and many of our children still see that stereotyped image in their minds.

As a middle school teacher, I try to talk about quilting as much as possible, even bringing it in as a class project:D (I\'ll post some pics when I\'m finished with it.), so that they will see that it is a pretty "cool" thing to do. Most of them are reluctant at first, but then they tell me they loved it!

Everyone in the quilting community should be supporting one another, and educating others about the art, so that it may get many more devoted followers. How each individual quilter goes about achieving that goal, is up to them! Don\'t let anyone get you down!

Personally, I find tattoos repulsive, indicative of a psychology of self-mutilation, and found on 99.9% of our prison population.

That said, aren\'t we lucky we live in America?

The fact that you are reading this in English instead of German is due to the hundreds of thousands of good men and women who died in WWII so that we all have the freedom to do things which may be repulsive to others, so long as they don\'t infringe upon the rights of others. Had American been defeated in WWII, this forum wouldn\'t exist and neither would we have an illegal immigration problem! Everyone would want to get out, not in.

WWII soldiers are dying at the rate of hundreds per day.

Thousands of good men and women have died or been horribly mutilated since 9/11 so that, among other things, women don\'t have to be covered as though they were some hideous creature not fit for human eyes.

And their tattoos wouldn\'t show.

Have you thanked a soldier lately?

God Bless America

Your class was fabulous and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Bought your books and you even graciously signed it for me.

Though I am not a fan of tat\'s, you and many others may not be a fan of my Christmas socks that I am wearing with my long black dress and business jacket with my birkenstocks.

Ok....I did have toe surgery and can\'t help it, but you know I loved your embrassing your passion. I also love those ladies that are so proud of the work that they have done on their sweatshirts that they wear them to a sewing expo and walk a little taller. My motto is if I have to say something unkind due to the way I have been treated or serviced (in a restaurant sence) then I have to genuinely take the time to make it up 5 times fold, and to tell people and their bosses that they are doing great! If we could all lay out 5 possitives to every negative what a world this place would be. And you can have an effect on that you are a person "with power" and I for one am very proud of you and the way you responded.

I have two of your books, Mastering the Art of McTavishing and Quilting for Show. When I was watching one of your DVD\'s that came with the books I made my husband come watch it with me. Then I said, "Isn\'t she unique, don\'t you just love her style, doesn\'t she look like a great person to know". He said, "Yeah.....she isn\'t bad looking either". :P

While for me tattoos aren\'t my style but I can appreciate and admire a beautiful tattoo. Especially one that has a special meaning. Don\'t let anyone make you feel less than what you are. Everything you have gone through has made you who you are today, the good, the bad and the tattoos. ;)

Originally posted by yogiquilter

I\'m not even that great a quilter, and I have two tatoos and a motorcycle! I could also care less about what other people think about me! It\'s my life to live, and I\'m going to live it the way that I want.

I\'m a little on the young side for the quilting world, and I think it\'s great that you proudly flash your tatoos! It makes you unique, and it breaks the stereotype that all quilters are liitle old ladies that have nothing else to do. No one here wants quilting to become a "lost art," and many of our children still see that stereotyped image in their minds.

As a middle school teacher, I try to talk about quilting as much as possible, even bringing it in as a class project:D (I\'ll post some pics when I\'m finished with it.), so that they will see that it is a pretty "cool" thing to do. Most of them are reluctant at first, but then they tell me they loved it!

Everyone in the quilting community should be supporting one another, and educating others about the art, so that it may get many more devoted followers. How each individual quilter goes about achieving that goal, is up to them! Don\'t let anyone get you down!

A couple of years ago my Mom and I took our sewing machines to my daughters class for several days and taught the kids how to sew. They each made a block and then I sewed it together to make a quilt top. I didn\'t have a longarm at the time and the teacher said she knew someone who could quilt it. After the quilt was finished the teacher donated the quilt to a nursing home.

The kids really loved doing it and it was fun teaching them. For some reason I am much more patient with a group of kids than I am with my own. :D

Karen, I simply love your quilting style. I enjoyed "The Art of McTavishing" and my dog is treating me to a copy of "Quilting for Show" for Christmas. I adore my pooch, unlike the rest of my family, he always gets me just what I want, such good taste in gifts :-) Thank you for sharing your amazing talent, Cheers and have a great Christmas

Archived