Fly Wheel Cover

Sparkle

For those of you that may have a "Flywheel Cover"---how does it attach to the the machine body? I'm thinking of ordering one as I had a near disaster with my Ultimate II and Rainbow thread last week while doing a panto.

I'm just a-stitching along watching the laser and feeliing a slight vibration increasing on the machine suddenly, and when I stopped I noticed the thread was broke....grumble, grumble. :mad:

So I went around to the front of the machine and lucky I did---I have a plexglass see-thru cover on the side of my Ultimate II. (left side facing the machine). I had it made at Tap Plastic when I first got the machine (purchased used) so that I could see if it was getting oiled from the wicks, and if any lint was accumulating in there.

Looking in the plexiglass I could see the fly wheel had grabbed the broken thread and wound-wound it around the fly wheel cam and it was starting to wind around the needle up down cam too! What a mess! Yards of thread ---

I took the plexi off and clipped and pulled with tweezers for a long time and got every speck of thread removed. But, what a scare.

Now I'm paranoid this will happen again when I'm concentrating on the laser....I want to cover the fly wheel so it can't happen again....

So if anyone can tell my how this cover works---I think I will order one....thanks.;)

Edit: I've never had this happen before, and it was the first time I have used Rainbow thread---do you think it was the thread and possible static, or the weight of the thread?

Sparkle, I have the Lenni so it might not help you.. the flywheel cover I have is on the right side standing at the needle end, and has two screws holding it in place.. I doubt it's the brand of thread, it just happened to flip the wrong way when it broke and got caught.

Someone with an Ultimate II will pipe in with an answer I'm sure. Good Luck.

RitaR

Sparkle...this has only happened to me once...thank goodness, and yes its a mess when it does it...I would think you could make small box thingy out of even a piece of cardboard, attach with sticky tape until you decide if you want to buy one. I think APQS makes one to fit all the machines, but you should ask for sure.

This happened to me more than once and that is when I bought the fly wheel cover. It is not that expensive and worth the money. It attaches with double sided tape. I did have to take it off once and I have reattached it with a double sided foam tape stuff. This is one product that should come standard on the machine.

Sparkle - This isn't fancy but it has worked for me for many years and I seemed to have that problem many more times than I like to remember. I just cut an empty thread cone in half and stuck it on with duct tape. You can cover the whole thing with tape and you hardly see it but this works ok for me and it's free.

post--1346190049992_thumb.jpg

Angie - Ya' know all of those wonderful things we buy that are heat-sealed into those very-frustarting - and hard to open plastic clam shells?!?! Keep your eyes open and look at them close. Mine is from a flashlight.... just cut off a chunk to fit and it is super-glued in place. I can always peel it off. Needed one of those "NOW" fixes!! and you just make do......

post--13461900500324_thumb.jpg

I agree with Mary Beth in that it should come with the machine, the flywheel cover that it.

Here is a photo of my other "fix"..... My machine is in the living room, and I have kids. At the time we moved it in, my little one was just at the right height to seriously hurt herself if she stood up under the right end of the rail. I know they have changed the design now, and there is a different locking system, but I bought mine used and it has a VERY SHARP Gear and lever locking system.... Can you say "Danger - Will Rogers"!!!!

Anyhow - this was the first fix my husband came up with, (his idea for the other one too) I just tell him what I need..... This is from one of the Christmas present we opened 3 years ago, that and a shoe string and it is still there!!! I have to adjust it now and then as I roll and advance - but I always make sure when I am done for the day, it is safe!

She is now a head higher than the front rail, but I am not taking ANY chances!!! I don't every want to have to run her to the ER for stitches...... not if I can help it! :o "Been there done that!!!"

post--13461900500427_thumb.jpg

When you purchase a car and the new models have enhancements auto manufactures do not recall older models to install the upgrades. Recalls are only for safety issues. The new Millennium has several new enhancements’ that can not be retrofitted to the older machines. It is a new model just like in the auto industry but sewing machines are not totally redesigned every year.

We wanted the upgraded Millennium so we did what you do when you have a car. You sell it or trade it in for the new model. We upgraded to two of the new Millenniums because we wanted the new model.

John

JUST HAVE TO tell this story. I caused an issue with the machine i was training on as i broke thread constantly and it ended up jamming the fly wheel. So, as soon as I got my machine - before i even started it up - I cut a toilet paper roll in half and used painters tape to put it on.

Now, my DH was livid - since the machine cost enough and here I was putting painters tape on it. Well, 4 years later and it's still there. The original toilet paper roll - taped. Every once in a while I think about getting a nicer cover - then spend the $'s on something else. I think of DH every time I notice the blue tape....

Here is a picture of the Recycled packaging I used for my fly wheel cover

2419907600094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

I used red electrical tape to put it in place and it matches the paint on the "Milli" logo. this was from a pen or mechanical pencil that I bought. Just a bit wider than the wheel. And Free is a very good price.:cool:

Ah - Good fit!! And we always have that Sewer's Aid - Love that stuff!!!

John - since you are on here - is there a retro fit thingy for where I have the stryofoam on the end of the front rail? It does annoy me when it moves around.... at least it has finally cut a deep enough channel into it and has stopped spitting out chunks!!!:cool::P

Thank you everyone for all the innovative and clever ideas for a flywheel cover! I know I can always depend on you for help! I'm looking around the house, and I'm sure we will find something or I will resort to buying one.

I'm afraid to use my machine now until I get this taken care of.

Archived