need ideas Finished w/pics

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't tried to post pictures yet, so I'll post my link. Two years ago I made my DBIL a Hunter's Star. It was quilted on my Janome 6500. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/538135153NotvRM?start=84

This design wouldn't work well with your top, too outdoorsy. And I'm not sure if you are going to Panto it or freemotion. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Hi Teresa,

Unless your customer specifically requested custom, this top is so busy, maybe a Christmas-y overall would be in order. Aren't you the "holly Queen" from a while ago? I would find a gold metallic or a gold "looks like metallic" with a big footprint and holly the heck out of that. If you like, throw those holly leaves on the green so they really show. Just a thought. Finished pictures, please?

If I remember the customers in Teresa's area, they want custom at stipple prices. Grrrr. :mad:

What kind of backing did she give you? If it is solid or muslin, then your beautiful work will show. If your customer wanted to see beautiful quilting on the front....then she should have spent more time choosing her fabrics. Oh, did I say that out loud?

I have seen your work, Teresa, it is beautiful. If this is one of your cheapskate customers, I'm afraid that I would be quite ornery with her. Make her pay you for your time. Then you can quilt it the way your solid design skills tell you.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Why is it that when you mention E2E or panto to a customer they cringe? Some quilts just call for an all-over. There are so many beautiful pantos that look like free-motion. I'm doing a log cabin that is way too busy but HE wanted feathers in the lighter fabrics (which aren't very light). Nothing is showing up except on the back - a lot of work for nothing! BUT I'm charging him for the ruler work and feathers! How do we educate our customers?

Sharon

Well I certainly am no expert or anywhere close to being as talented (yet) as others but my 2 cents is that you are so talented that an E2E holly design you could do and make it look custom and she will never know the difference.

Linca C I agree with you, someone should educate our piecers on their fabric choices.

please post when you finish

Hi Teresa,

I'm attaching a picture of a design I used on a Christmas quilt once. If I had a better picture of your quilt straight on, I could superimpose this on top. It is just a suggestion and there's lots of room to play and put them where you want to. I think it is easy to do freehand too. Food for thought.

"Holly

Holly & Poinsttia by Dave Hudson is a great E2E and I love the Superior King Tut #912, my favorite red and gold for Christmas quilts...When I get a REAL busy quilt like this and they want custom and I don't want to waste my time, I give an estimate that makes them re consider to E2E. I tell them all the $$ and it's not going to show..That usually does the trick. I don't mind doing custom, but not when it's a waste of time and money.:)

Sometimes you see a quilt with "gentle" fabrics, and the quilting really stands out and makes it wonderful. Other quilts have fabrics with more impact, that don't need designer quilting. The fabric and the piecing have already made a statement. More would be too much.

This quilt looks to me like the second kind of quilt. Beautiful already, and designer quilting would be a waste! A lovely all over with a Christmas theme seems like the way to go! Finding a way to tell the customer that - well, that is probably the hard part!

Teresa--glad to see that you are still stitching--I love the suggestion that Marty just gave you--only where she put feathers--do a holly leaf with maybe a ribbon and berries. Then you could just do a ribbony curve in the inner border and a loopy meander with a few holly leaves in the outer border--and wha-la--a nice simple-yet stunning custom job!!

Please post photos when done!!

Terri

Archived