shout out to Bonnie

KathyA

Bonnie - you really are amazing. I learn so many things from you, the recent one regarding putting the seam up if you add a temporary border to a top. You make me look soooo smart :D when I'm with my stitching buddies and questions come up.

Thank you for being so willing to share.

Kathryn A

For those wondering what this is all about - see the post regarding 'no border quilt'....

from another post: If you do this make sure that your seam is up....not down as inside the quilt...you want to make sure that the seam is up for two reasons...ya know where it is and you don't get it caught in the quilting and secondly you really know where the quilt edge actually is....

Either way with or without the muslin you will do great....if you don't do the muslin, I would most definitely do the stay stitching around the quilt so the seams don't pop as Caron already stated.

Ya know, I just went on to post a thanks to Bonnie...and you beat me to it. Thanks Bonnie for the Starch and Steam method. If I hadn't learned that from you, I would be in an awful mess with the quilt I am working on now. It seems that it doesn't matter how good the piecer is when there are a lot of wide borders, they are hard to keep control of. I had a bad spot on the quilt I am working on and I just sprayed the starch on and watched the puckers go down, even before the steam! Bonnie, you are the best! And this forum is so great and helpful with everyone's words of wisdom. Couldn't do without it!

I wish there was a method for quilts that have poly batting. I just returned a quilt and the fullness in the border was noticable. Turns out the customer does not pin (or measure) when putting on her borders. I took her through the 'reason for pinning' rationale but didn't get into the measuring need - I usually lose them at that point.

The starch and steam method has saved me often, especially on those quilts that are cross hatched or clam shelled that must be perfectly square. Thanks again Bonniel.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

I thought it was called 'no border'. It had to do with a pieced edge and to keep it from stretching they were going to sew muslin to the all sides. Bonnie recommended that the seam be put on the opposite way - so it pointed up. Makes it easier to remove once the quilt is finished and keeps you from stitching that edge seam down.

When I first joined this forum and didn't know a thing about my new-to-me Ultimate II, Bonnie was the first to greet me, email me and help me on the phone with some questions I had. She is always there just when you need her!

Her Starch tip has helped me countless times! I wish I could return the favors and offers of advice she has given me---but all I can say is---A BIG THANK YOU BONNIE! :) and a (((hug)))

From rainy North Calif. (at last)

Hold your nickers Connie...its almost done...just a few more days, and maybe even finishing today. It will be a Power Point Presentation instead of a full movie DVD as I had hoped for but there are several movie clips on it so you will get the full benefit of the actions, ya just won't get to hear my rough and gravelly voice. Still can't get audio and visual to marry so gave up. This will be better, you won't have to throw it away because of the Eleanor Burns type voice.:P;):P

SandraG...when you get a minute could you please call me...need dates and shipping addresses...

Archived