Pictures! Pictures! It's Finished -- Opinions sought: Which color thread here?

The feathers could certainly be called "hooked"; I didn't know they had a name. I copied the idea from a picture somewhere because my talents DO NOT include creative design.

The design of fitting the feathers into a triangle shape is from Karen McTavish's book Elements of Quilting Design. I was surprised to learn that she marks her quilts, because the first time I saw her she was doing perfect freehand feathers, and I just assumed she made all her beauty freehand! I only marked the spine and went from there.

The main thing I learned here is that feathers can be too wide and then they lose their beauty, so sometimes I came in from the side and made two rows of narrower feathers instead of one wide row.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. I hope I can give back in some small measure for all I have received here.

Great job Ann, I certainly would post lots of pics and be very proud too. the feathers are like the ones from Sally Terry's book Hooked on Feathers, I just got that book and have been practicing on paper, haven't practiced on the machine yet, but hope to soon. Congratulations on a beautiful job.

Really pretty and I thank you for posting this thread. Right now I have a Lone Star just sitting on my quilter and I had not a clue as to how to even start quilting. You have given me inspiration and now I think I will go downstairs and turn on the machine and get busy.

Ann, I think it's time to say "I can do this"!!! Yes I can!!! Your work is beautiful! Practice no more!

One thing I've learned - every quilt seems like practice because we push ourselves to do more and different things each time. Time to charge the real cost...!

Archived