Need ideas

Hey, friends, I have just finished this top. It's 40" square and I am making it for a very musical male friend. I need some inspiration for quilting. Also, should I use black thread in the black areas and white in the white or what?

URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2744685400102757096QbOQVZ]2744685400102757096S425x425Q85.jpg[/url]

Julie, my vote is white thread in the white area, then in the black and the white & black, i'd use black thread. WOW! Also, check out many, many sites for music stencils. There are sooo many out there. At least it could give you a pattern you could make a stencil yourself, or wait till you receive it in the mail.

I really hate to say this, but you HAVE to do piano keys in the borders!!! I would also do series of 4 parallel lines in the larger black borders~~that's how may strings there are on most instruments.

Just remember these two things: You can tune a piano, but you can't tune-a-fish. (Tuna fish) :)

And if you're walking on ice, you have to C sharp or you will B flat!

Sorry...former music major jokes!!!

Beautiful quilt Julie. The twisting ribbons are fascinating and I'd play those up so they continue to be dominant. Superior make a great black, grey, white variegated thread that I think is King Tut. I used it on a black and white quilt with great results. That way no matter where you stitch the thread compliments the quilt and any irregular lines are not noticeable.

Because it looks really contemporary guess I'd be tempted to put some multiple circles in groups on it to signify sound coming out of a speaker, tight together in the middle and further apart away from the center. Good luck and please post a photo when you are done.

Vicki

That is a great quilt!! Love all the ideas and Theo..that musician design id fabulous!! Could it be printed for a hand guided panto?

Our sons play guitar, drums and piano. I'd love to make birthday quilts for them using that quilting design. My eldest son did a charcoal drawing in high school that went to the governors exibition in Columbus, OH It illustrates the instruments and his brother's hands holding drumsticks as if he were playing. I didn't know until a few years ago that the hands were is brother's who passed away at 22yrs.

That, of course makes the drawing even more special!

I think I could use part of that drawing as a base for my design.

I look forward to seeing your completed design

Julie - love the quilt!!! I also have a Rainbows varigated that is silver / grey / black #810 - very nice, has a good shine to it! Called Zebra. Great idea with the piano key border!! Please post finished photos - I want to make this too - cool quilt! :cool:

Archived