NQR I am so mad!!

My pups go in August for their annual checkups and I don't remember what it cost last time. You think dogs and cats are bad, you should see the vet bill for birds. About the only way to diagnose problems with a bird is to do a blood test and that gets costly.

I get the flea/tick stuff for my dogs at http://www.entirelypets.com/ . It's cheaper than petmeds.com and way cheaper than getting them from the vet.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 office visits including shots for $170 seems reasonable. A vet is a Doctor with all the costs associated with getting a Doctor' degree and a very expensive building and staff. I think 3 office visits to a GP would be much more expensive without insurance paying the bill. Having a pet is a huge responsibility in time and money. If a client brings in three quilts at a time do they get charged for each one?

Just my 2 cents worth,

John

I found a dog dumped 10 miles from town on a back road by our house this weekend and can't help but wonder if it's because the owner can't afford her anymore, *sigh*

However, all who know me are ROTFLAO because I suddenly went from "the cat lady who doesn't like dogs" to head over heels in love with this big yellow lab! One asked incredulously (sp) how it was that the dog ended up sleeping in my bed, I said, "When I patted beside me and said 'hoppy up' she did" LOL!!!!!!! I lost count of how many walks the kids took her on yesterday.

If DH doesn't have to work overtime tomorrow, it will be the first night for all three of us in bed (he works nights) so we'll see how THAT goes, tee hee!

Kat, Good for you for rescue-ing your new found friend. How lucky he is to have such a good home. I recently had to have my precious dog put to sleep, she was almost 14 and started to have seizures--not fun to watch. I told her when she sees a dog she thinks I should have to send it over. Maybe you got my dog, wrong house;). No, not really, I want a small dog who I can walk, not that walks me. I have often said, I treat my animals much better than most people treat their children. Also, I would rather be around them than alot of the people I know.

But I do agree the prices are way over board--but so are the medical prices for people.

I also, found a new vet in the last few months, mainly because the receptionist was being a HAG and I decided not to take it anymore. Guess they had enough business, that they don't need mine. I will go somewhere else from now on.

Good luck with your new KID..Judy

I love you Kat! You're my kind of woman. Thanks so much for taking her in.

The weekly emails I get from the local animal rescues are growing in the number of animals in need. Some of the stories are just heart breaking. For the most part, I know it is a hard decision for the owners to surrender their animals. People are just not able to afford what they used to.

Anita

Hi Calikocat

Your story about the abandoned dog makes my eyes water. We always get our dogs from rescue sites but there seems to be an endless supply of neglected, abused and unwanted animals. I don't know what the solution is but it just seems so wrong. We are in charge and making it tough for so many animals. That dog must think he's in doggy heaven, sleeping on your bed.

Speaking of heaven, I was trying to imagine my ideal the other day and it came down to two really important things. Heaven would have our families (minus all flaws, of course), and dogs in it. Ahhhh.

Thank you for loving the new dog.

Sylvia

Originally posted by calicokat

I found a dog dumped 10 miles from town on a back road by our house this weekend...."When I patted beside me and said 'hoppy up' she did" LOL!!!!!!! I lost count of how many walks the kids took her on yesterday.

Yaay! You were meant to find this dog and let it live with you and your family. What's her name??? :) Lucky dog! And, believe it or not, on a rare occasion DH and I have had both of us, plus our three German Shepherds up on the king sized bed for brief Saturday morning snuggle sessions. It's pretty squeezed tight for space! :D

dear all,

I had a 9 year old German shepherd diagnosed with a terminal illness last May. We coped as best we could, but last November he took a turn for the worse, needed oxygen, 24 hour supervised hospital care, etc. This required picking him up (sedated on a stretcher) and taking him to the emergency vet clinic in town and picking him up in the morning and taking him back to the vet. After nine days and 2 major surgeries the only remaining drug that could help him caused kidney failure. He was also bleeding internally from one the surgeries. After struggling for 6 mo. with the megasophagus (terminal) that resulted in pnemonia, internal bleeding and kidney failure, my husband and I decided to end his suffering.

His vet bills for the 6 months were over $6,500. The last nine days for $4,500 of that. When I went to pay the bill I was told I would have to pay in full. I have been seeing this vet for over 10 years. I have always "ran a tab" and paid my bill in full, usually over 2 months. My husband and I don't believe in credit cards--boy were we scrambling to come up with that money! The office manager was very rude about it. She acted like I was some sort of deadbeat. I know if I had gone to the Dr. he would have overruled her decision, but at the time was too grief stricken to think about it. Several days later, though, I wrote him a thank you note for trying to save Samson's life and also mentioned the attitude of his office manager. Let me tell you, the next time I went in with my other shepherd, she was nice as pie!!!

I know with the economy the way it is the vet's office probably doesn't want to take a chance of people not paying, but when I had just put my "baby" to sleep, was not the time to discuss it!

thanks for letting me vent.

Rose Hall

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I found a dog dumped 10 miles from town on a back road by our house this weekend...."When I patted beside me and said 'hoppy up' she did" LOL!!!!!!! I lost count of how many walks the kids took her on yesterday.

Yaay! You were meant to find this dog and let it live with you and your family. What's her name??? :) Lucky dog! And, believe it or not, DH and I have had both of us, plus our three German Shepherds up on the king sized bed for brief Saturday morning snuggle sessions. It's pretty squeezed tight for space!

KAT...congrats on your new family member....this one will be such a good guard dog....because she realizes how special you people are and she will do her part to protect you and yours.

Shana....We too have had an 180 pound Akita an 95 pound German Shepard, and/or 5 cats in bed at one time....we call those nights 2 dog nights. Griz the German shepard crawled up onto the water bed and snuggled up against my back once when he knew I was deathly sick with Pneumonia, and I actually thought it was Gene getting into bed. It was so funny having Gene stand at the bed side sometime later and whispering for Griz to get off that he didn't need to guard me anymore and that he (Gene) needed to get some sleep so he would take over the night shift.

Griz was also famous for pulling off the bedspread and snuggling in it if he got cold at night.

For lower cost shots, routine exams, neutering, spays, and heartworm meds, try going to your local humane society or ASPCA. Many of them have clinics for the routine stuff. Our humane society in Houston will also do heartworm treatment. You usually have to sit and wait, but it is cheaper. They never used to charge for an office call but do now on weekends when it's really busy.

Probably not an option in the rural areas, though.

Laura

Originally posted by Hallre

dear all,

I had a 9 year old German shepherd diagnosed with a terminal illness last May. We coped as best we could, but last November he took a turn for the worse, needed oxygen, 24 hour supervised hospital care, etc. This required picking him up (sedated on a stretcher) and taking him to the emergency vet clinic in town and picking him up in the morning and taking him back to the vet. Rose Hall

Hi Rose. I am sorry you had to go through this terrible ordeal with your 9 year old GSD and his terminal cancer. Bless you for all the love and care you have. I understand it is an awful decision to make about a beloved pet. Trust me, I've had to put down one GSD (Wiley Coyote) when he was 11 and our old girl is nealy 14 years old. She's got arthritis in her front ankles and still walking (runs) and spunky and eating but when it's her time to go I will let her go to the rainbow bridge happily knowing she had a life filled with much love and was well cared for.

Letting them go (gladly) to the rainbow bridge when it's their time to go.. That will be for all my GSDs (we have 3). But DH and I made a pact a long time ago when we got our first GSD, Wiley, in 1993...that we would not put them through thousands of dollars in medical treatments just to prolong their lives a year or two, especially if they are up there in age. I just won't do it. I can't put my animals through that surgery stuff and all the $$$. These dogs don't understand. They are dogs. Sure, I love them but I have to draw the line. When we had to put Wiley down, he could barely move and was in so much pain, so when DH and I were driving him to town to euthanize him, he was all excited wagging his tail cuz he was going for a ride in the truck! It broke my heart the whole ride into town knowing what we had to do. He was on his leash walking around peeing on the bushes outside the clinic (acting tho he was perfectly fine) while I was inside getting him prepped for his time. The vet said many people bringing in dogs to euthanize have to literally carry their dogs into the clinic as they cannot walk on their own they are in such bad shape, but she actually appreciated that we didn't let Wiley get that far. So weird but I knew if I took him back home he'd still be in pain and back to the same situation, so I stayed there with him while the vet gave him his shot and I petted him and said good bye. :) He had a wonderful life and he was a wonderful dog. We were all lucky to be a family.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/51718

post--13461901531112_thumb.jpg

Shana, that's a great pix of your Wiley!

My mom's comment was "Honey, you and your family needed a dog, even if you didn't know it" with that knowing look that moms still use on you even when you are in your 40's ;) and gee, since you asked, her name is Maggie (quite common for dogs I've learned in the last 3 days, LOL) and here's her pix. She and I are going on a car ride to town this afternoon to go to the pet store and get a toothbrush and paste because "that's what the library books says", yeah, I'm pretty much done for! :D

post--1346190153134_thumb.jpg

I picked that collar out myself and a cute pink polka-dot leash to match ;) Then I had to stop, because there were so many toys, and things, and this was just Target. It'll be bad at the real pet store tonight I'm sure! If I don't come back, someone come get us out of there!

I have 2 English Mastiffs & nearly everything (not vaccines)goes by weight, UGH! My vet is outrageously expensive ($49.50 just walking in the door) & he's the only one who *can* do their vaccinations.

I've considered switching but I really love him & he's been so great to us over the years & has been out to my house many times & even to put my old Mastiffs down when the time came. He came in when the office was closed to look after one of my ducks who was attacked by a neighbors dog.

I can reach him 24/7 & he's there for me. For his kindess, I'm forever grateful & just bear with his high fees. Where else could I get that kind of compassion & service? I really love his staff too. I'll pay for that piece of mind for my babies :)

I had to have my most favorite and first mare, Elly, euthanized during an operation to see what was causing a blockage (i.e. colic). The doc finally operated in the middle of the night after trying every other remedy possible and he could have fixed her, but it would have entailed removing 5 inches of her intestine, reattaching it and then she'd have had a long, painful healing bout. At the time she was put down, she was 18 and had a 2 month old foal at her side, so she would have worried if we'd taken the foal away, but allowing her to still nurse wasn't an option. It was the hardest decision I've ever made, but it was the right one. Iit was $3500 just for the exploratory surgery. I'd spend it again tomorrow, even if the outcome was the same. That horse and I went through alot together and I still miss her terribly.

post--13461901531688_thumb.jpg

Dory, I am so sorry you had to go through that with your beloved horse Elly. She is a beautiful chestnut sorrel. I love the redheads! Was Elly the mom of your little on Emma? I remember a little filly a while back you shared photos and stories of the filly. I think she may be too young to ride but aren't you lucky you have a baby from your Elly to carry on? :) ((sending you hugs))

Thanks, Shana. Elly was Emma's mom and lucky for me, Emma looks very much like her momma. She doesn't have the flaxen mane that Elly had, but its not real red either--sort of in between. Emma will be 2 in August...I can't believe how fast time goes by, but she's still my baby. We've been working with her, but no riding yet. I may sit on her and walk a bit this year, but nothing "real" until next year after she's had more time to develop.

If this picture works, she was a year old here and having a really bad hair day:P

......I had to stop, because there were so many toys, and things, and this was just Target. It'll be bad at the real pet store tonight I'm sure! If I don't come back, someone come get us out of there!

Yeah, I hear ya. I have been known to throw down massive amounts of cash at Petco on chew toys and such... :D

Gosh I can't believe anyone at a vets would give people a hard time just after losing an animal. Ours tells you not to worry and sends the bill sometime later. I think about a month, you can go in sooner and settle up, but they don't rush you.

Boy you guys have made me appreciate my vet so much more. I knew they were good, but not how good.

Ferret

Archived