AccuQuilt Batik Tumbler

I posted here a while back asking questions about the AccuQuilt Die cutter, and thank you all who responded. I decided to buy the GO! version, even though my mind/heart wanted the Studio model. I just don't have room for that size of a die cutter.

I've had the GO for a few weeks and am really enjoying it! :) Here is a 60" x 80" Batik quilt I made over the weekend with the tumbler die. I used up a lot of leftover batik scraps and fat quarters. That felt productive. Took me about an hour to cut the 143 tumbler pieces of fabric.

I quilted it with Superior LAVA thread and used a Jodi Beamish pantograph. "Butterfly Garden".

The die clips the corners off the tumbler block similiar to Marti's templates so every piece of fabric is accurately cut and lines up for easy fast piecing.

post--1346190153416_thumb.jpg

Hi Cathy,

Thank you! :) I don't know how "thrifty" I would consider this endeaver is. :o However, it sure is fun! and a quick way to make a simple quilt.

The die cutters are expensive---as are the dies. Of course I plan to keep and use it frequently. I do a lot of scrappy type quilts. I was amazed at how quick I could cut and piece a quilt with this cutter---I also have the 2.5" strip die, and it's been very useful.

What a great use of scraps and a quick way to put out a quilt, it is wonderful. I saw that Go version cutter this past weekend. the lady that was demonstrating it also has the larger studio model and she said she wish she had waited till this came out because she actually likes it much better. Also said she feels they will be coming out with more and more designs just like the larger model.

I love gadgets and like you am currently going back and forth between the Studio and the Go. Right now, I am leaning harder toward the Go. I just don't see me doing so much cutting that I currently need the Studio. And if I decide I do, well heck, I will buy that one also.

Great job on this quilt and I also appreciate your review of the Go.

Beautiful quilt! The tumblers are great. I just bought the GO! also but haven't had much chance to use it except for the 2 1/2 inch strips. They come out so nice and straight with no bows!! I do have 3 large black garbage bags full of material scraps that someone was going to throw away and I "rescued". Now I can cut them into usable sizes for a scrappy quilt.

Darn. Do I need another toy?

I love your quilt and now I'm all over looking at this AccuQuilt cutter! ;) What a great idea! I do not mind cutting fabric the old fashioned way (rotary cutter/mat), in fact, I enjoy it. But I love the idea of cutting strips and odd shaped pieces easily.

Keep the quilts coming, Angie, and I just may be convinced enough to buy one!

Angie! I followed you, and here you are on this website too. Well, I ordered the Go yesterday. Today I am listing my Brother PC1500 and my Grace frame and am looking towards purchasing a APQS. Really looking at the Lenni, but maybe something else. Will buy it as soon as I sell these others. Your quilt is what inspired me, Not only the Go machine but the quilting you do on your quilt. Yea, gads could I really do that? Thanks so much. Jan

Thank you everyone for such nice comments and compliments on the Tumbler quilt. It was a lot of fun to make.

I have a suggestion for anyone considering buying a AccuQuilt fabric cutter to first get the Catalog/Magazine. It's the Winter/Early Spring 2009 issue.

It's free. Simply call them at 888-258-7913. I didn't have much luck ordering email...so call instead.

As for the cutters, while I love the GO version, the dies at this time are very limited and it's my understanding that AccuQuilt will not be making available more GO dies until late Summer or Fall. To me this is a disappointment as there are many projects in the catalog, especially Kay Gentry's "Humble House" quilt that I would love to cut and make if only I could use the Studio dies. I would need the School house and Cedar Tree dies. Of course these dies are really expensive to make just one quilt---so I see the pros & cons of the Studio as a major purchase if someone does not own a business and is cutting out whole quilts as kits. So, right now I'm looking for someone who has a Studio with those particular dies to cut this pattern for me. (That's my alternative.) or buy a Studio.:(

If you are buying---seriously consider what is available in dies, and if you are willing to wait and see what AccuQuilt offers in the future for the GO.

If I sound like I'm expressing some regrets (its more a caution if you are considering a purchase)---in a way I am. It is my understanding that the GO was introduced in Nov. and to have to wait for almost another year for new dies to be introduced seems like a long time at this point and even then I'm not sure what GO dies they will offer. Hopefully they will be all the same ones they now offer for the Studio. :)

Originally posted by Janice L Patterson

Today I am listing my Brother PC1500 and my Grace frame and am looking towards purchasing a APQS.

Jan, don't sell your PC1500. I have one and it is the only machine that I use for piecing. I love it and would never part with it!

I also have the Go! and have made several quilts cutting the fabric with it. They pieced together so easily because the pieces were perfect.

post--13461901537092_thumb.jpg

I appreciate the information on the AccuCutter Go and the limited dies. I have to wonder though if because this is being marketed to the home quilter that they won't develop more dies. I am not in an immediate position to purchase so waiting works for me at the moment.

I would think that the market is larger for the home quilter than stores. I would love the Studio but honest to god, I cannot justify the price for the amount of quilts that I cut out. I just don't have the time what with working full time and managing the care of my 83 year old mother (who is perfectly fine at the moment and very independent but I am still her binkie).

Hi Gail,

Yes, it is an expensive tool. However, I've spent more on rulers, cutters and mats over the years than I've spent on the AccuQuilt total so far. Their warranty is very good and if you have any problems with the dies, and having them stay sharp, they do replace them. That's better than I can say for my currant stash of Olfa rotary cutter blades which have gone up to close to $50.00 for 5 blade pkg. this past year, and that is just for the large size blades, not the smaller ones. (grumble, grumble) :)

I do cut a lot of fabric as I use Bonnie Hunters "Scrap Users" system

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

and I make a lot of quilts, or at least my husband thinks so, He says I spend a lot of time quilting! I need to get out in the sunshine and fresh air more! So, I've started going out for walks most days. Cold or Rain. :)

Our mini group the Remnants make a lot of scrap quilts to donate to various local organizations as well, and I will be cutting for some of those sizes. Especially the 5" blocks and 2.5" strips.

I feel that eventually the company will make more dies for the GO. I just wish they weren't so far off in the future. In the meantime I have found a Studio owner that will cut out the Humble Houses quilt for me with her Studio dies. Yeah!:)

Hi Sparkle,

YOu gave the thelephone number allready, but would you be so kind to give the web-adress? I'd tried to google for some additional info but that didn't get me far!

Perhapse this might be something to introduce at my tiny new shop, I allready saw a shop who features this cutting tool for their clients in New Mexico. Does any of you offer cutting service with this thing?

WendyJ

I have seen ads where the quilt shop offers rental of their Studio cutter. That is such a great idea--I would love to cut out fabric for a Drunkard's Path "painlessly".

The shops buy the system to make kits--a great investment. And they may invest in more dies if they think customers may show interest.

With my customers, I can tell who took which class at the LQS--I get a cluster of the same pattern to quilt.

Sooo--if a shop offered a class using the shapes they have dies for, maybe the shop could sell them the fabric and offer a discount on using the Studio cutter for the class project. Win/win! The shop sells fabric, rents time on the Studio system, and gets the customer "indoctrinated" into the ease of use of the cutter. Maybe then the customer will rent it again.

Originally posted by WendyJ

Hi Sparkle,

YOu gave the thelephone number allready, but would you be so kind to give the web-adress? I'd tried to google for some additional info but that didn't get me far!

Perhapse this might be something to introduce at my tiny new shop, I allready saw a shop who features this cutting tool for their clients in New Mexico. Does any of you offer cutting service with this thing?

WendyJ

Hi Wendy, I'm not Angie (Sparkle), but here is the URL for Accuquilt -- http://www.accuquilt.com/

I love my Go! but I feel the Studio is much sturdier and would be best for a shop setting. I love the idea of renting it out. In my research on the systems, I found an APQS dealer in Maine, I believe, that does just this. If I remember correctly, she sells a "club membership" and also rents time by the hour. I did a Google search on accuquilt and found lots of interesting sites. Have fun!

Archived