Question on Millie hanging up

You all have been so helpful and I have learned so much from reading this forum but I seem to be having a problem with my millie kind of hanging up when I am at a certain point on my table. She doesnt' seem to want to go in a smooth circle when at the center of the table, I have checked everything I can think of and looked back at old forums to see if anyone else had this problem and what they did.

There is no thread in the wheels, I have cleaned them and the table, even took some steel wool and smoothed the table and then cleaned it again. The wheels look smooth (if not it wouldn't be in just one spot),

I have tried to raise and then lower the bolts on the center of the table, and with a level, it looks level in all directions there.

The plastic table is raised up the tiniest bit but does not seem to catch when millie rolls over it.

The only thing left that I wonder about is the quilt rollers. I can't tell if they are slightly warped in the center, they look straight and my quilt is not too tight when loaded...does anyone have any other ideas other than just to muscle it over that spot?

Thanks,

Vicki

Check the cylinders under the lexan that hold the table rails together. The center one may be a bit loose and causing the table rails to be a bit farther apart at this point.

Also check to make sure the table is not torqued at all, meaning the front of one side is slightly high and the rear of the other is slightly high,causing a "twist" in the rails.

I'm interested in the answers to this question because I have the same issue. The lexan part of the table is slightly higher over the center cylinder. I know this because the carriage rubs, ever so slightly, on my pattern boards in that area but nowhere else. Do I need to tighten or loosen the bolt in the cylinder?

I had to really loosen the center truss bolt on my 12'table to get the table level. I found I had the same problem with my lexan top till I did this. It is lower than the manual says to have it. I also put edgerider wheels on and helped solve my problem of the carriage rubbing the top of the pattern boards that I had.

I had this problem and I agree as silly as it sounds, when my husband watched the back of the machine while I moved it, he began to laugh, one of the cords was touching the wheels at one certain point. I would have never seen it from the front.

Though this isn't really related, but just thought I'd add some some comic relief. Last year, working on a panto for the first time, at the highest point of the panto (closest to the front rollers), the head wouldn't move as far as I thought it should. I'd already made a pass or 2, so I knew it would. Taking it slowly and not sewing, I watched as I moved the head, but I couldn't see what the obstruction might be. Looked under the table. Didn't feel any resistance until it hit the top. Couldn't budge it past that point. OK...LOL. Went to the front of the table to see if I could figure out what was happening...the handles had fallen down and they were hitting the front roller.

:D

Anita

I love these chuckles ........... just yesterday my baby was catching on something ............ couldn't figure it out until finally I looked at my quilt - had tucked it under the table on everything that is crammed under the table and had tucked the quilt a little too far ......... my quilt was in the way ......... LOL. Moved the quilt just a bit and everything was wonderful again!!!!

I was quilting along the other day, and was unable to go any farther to the left. What had happened? I thought. As I was walking around to the backside of the machine, I saw my 3 yr old walking away. She had apparently put her 'baby' doll down on the table to take a nap. I moved 'baby' to the playpen. She became bothered that I had disturbed 'baby' so I could continue quilting. LOL

Kristina you are RIGHT! You NEED to lower that center bolt that holds up the lexan, lower it a tad so your machine will glide straight thru without any dragging at all!

I put my ear down next to the rails, and slid my machine up and down the table. If I heard any "hissing" sound it told me that part of the table needed to go down just a tad, and it was always in the center. Once I got it lowered, TA DA! My machine will glide from one end to the other with one easy little push. (plus the edgerider wheels helped a little too....for that smooth ride!)

Originally posted by Primitive1

I have tried to raise and then lower the bolts on the center of the table, and with a level, it looks level in all directions there.

The plastic table is raised up the tiniest bit but does not seem to catch when millie rolls over it.

Thanks,

Vicki

Hi, Vicki,

Girl, I feel your pain. I went through this with my Millie for quite a while. It turned out to be those tension bolts in the middle of the table. Mind you, the level was spot on so I did not think that was the problem. I finally lowered the tension bolts in the middle. No more drag! I found out from Myrna that you have to use a prybar or similar tool between the support rail and the table to take the tension off the bolts to be able to adjust them.

I also replaced the machine wheels during this process. At first I tried the Edgeriders, but they raised the machine and consequently the rails too high. (I probably did something wrong when installing them). But I replaced the wheels with new APQS wheels and that helped, too. I don't think it was the wheels as much as the tension bolts, though.

I hope this helps. I remember being so frustrated that I didn't quilt for quite a while. Now I love my Millie again!:D

Originally posted by imquilting

has anyone put there table on casters? looking for the best way. I have a 14 foot table & it would be nice to be able to move it, especially when it is not in use. I am also interested in the Edriders & where to purchase them.

I have my 10 1/2 foot table on casters. My flooring is carpet though and I was having trouble moving the table back and forth using the casters. So my creative DH used leftover tiles and wood strips to support the casters. First he lined up a row of tile under each side of the table. On top of the tile he laid a long 7" wide board. All 4 sides of the board were finished with trim to prevent the casters from rolling off. This system works for me now and I can freely move my table whenever I like without struggle. :D

Archived