Wanting to buy something to help do feathers

Hi everyone,

I am in need of either a DVD or book on formal feathers to help me do them better. I would like some suggestions on what is the best. It seems like everyone out there has written something on doing feathers and I can't buy them all!! I have quilted part time for a couple of years now, and can do basic feathers well, just haven't done any freehand formal ones. I would be willing to buy some books or DVD's off anyone who is done using theirs and looking to "Spring Clean". Thanks so much!

Luv2Kwilt

I just bought Kimmy's Twirly Whirly Feathers, spent the last week at night doing the ppp she shows how to do and am doing my first feathers on the latest quilt. Not perfect by any means but they are easier to do free-motiong now using a stencil as a base and following Kimmy's guidelines.

Now I feel like I can move onto Myrna's Fowlproof Feathers a little easier.

There are MANY books and DVDs on the market on how to do the heirloom style of feathers and I'm sure all of them are great. In my books, I took the feather right from the beginning, how to do the basics, but then expanded on that into 23 shape variations and 17 "inserts" variations. The price may seem high at first ($50), but it's so complete, it may be the only feathers book you ever need to buy.

There is a 68 page Pocket Guide to the shape variations and a 63 page workbook that expands on how spine shapes affect the "feel" of the feather, whether formal or informal. There are pages on how to do inner and outer curves, how to "twist" your feathers and how to "plume" them. Pages on wreaths and borders/sashings and allover designs. I show you how to "combine" different shapes from the variations and inserts to achieve something truly unique and uniquely yours.

MANY of the designs don't need any backtracking and look very difficult to do. The secret is in the pathway and they're very EASY to do. Your customer should never know that! ;)

Everyone's doing feathers now! Why not make YOURS stand out from the crowd?

You can purchase from my own site, Kim Brunner, Kingsmen, The Quilting Connection, LongarmSupplies.com and many other sites and quilt shops. They will be at all of the major machine quilting shows from one or more vendors. Sue Schmeiden will have them at HMQS, where I'll have extras in my van, just in case she needs more. :)

Here's an example from one of the more advanced pages.

post--13461901585748_thumb.jpg

Kim Brunner's DVD is wonderful. I have several books on doing feathers but there's nothing like being able to watch them drawn and then done on the machine. As someone else said Kim gives you, as she calls them, training wheels. After practicing, I'm on to Myrna's fowlproof feathers with more confidence.

Biggest thing you should consider, IMHO, before you buy a book or DVD, is "how do you learn?" I've had Darlene's books for a long time and have practiced a bunch (really, Darlene, I have) but I just couldn't get my feathers to be anything but FAT. Then I got Myrna's DVD and my feathers became much betteer.

After thinking about it for awhile, I realize that I learn better from watching the feathers executed on the machine and then mimicking that myself. I learn visually, so the DVD was a must.

That said, it wasn't until I got Kim Brunner's DVD, that my formal feathers started to look really good. Its basically the say Darlene teaches in her books, but I get to watch Kim draw them and then sew them. Seeing that was imperative for me.

So...how do you learn; better at reading or better at watching??

I agree with Dory, I've practiced feathers but just wasn't really getting the formal feathers. Once I got Kim's book/DVD and seen her first draw them out and then stitch them on the machine and now practicing them, I can actually do formal feathers. I still need to practice more to get them as pretty as I want.

...doesn't matter which you choose - practice is the only way you'll improve. I am horrible at drawing but find now I can draw out the feathers and actually look at the paper and say "those look good".

I have decided that all of the above mentioned are great. For me the bigger issue is that with time all of the great teaching materials get better and better - mostly because I am doing better. The more you practice and you should practice more than one method, the quicker the light bulb will come on. Mine are not great yet, but see constant improvement. I also have become a firm believer in marking areas that are difficult. Better to know where you are going than winging it and then frogging because it is too wonky............

I agree with Dory's statement "how do you learn?" I am the kind of person who learns by reading, and then by doing myself. To watch a video does not seem to compute as quickly for me. I love Darlene Epp's books, she takes you from very basic to way over the top. Without a doubt they were the best investment since I got my long arm machine.

Archived