Quilt Sandwich Question

gable428

I have a question for all of you because I am curious. How tight do you make your quilt sandwich? I ask because a lady at one of the quilt shops loads everything really taut and quilts that way. Everything she does is computerized so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

• 1 month later...

It seems that when I make mine too tight, the middle of the quilt tends to make a slight hour glass figure. JoAnn told me a while ago that the sandwich is tighter when you are using a computer. I tend to go snug versus loose. I have more backing problems if it's too loose.

I roll tight, then loosen a notch or two. I've never been able to use the "mole under the fabric" idea. For me that is too loose. You will eventually find the ideal taunt tension that works well for most quilts.

I also keep the quilt height adjusted to just a "pinkie finger tip" off the bed of the machine. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I read an article in Unlimited Possibilities a few years back and I think it was Renee Haddendon (so sorry on the spelling) and she called it the 'sweet' area where it's not too tight & not too loose. Was a light bulb moment for me!

Just an added thought reply.

I have made mine on the taunt side and then a tiny back off. I was told when I got my IQ that it is best to be taunt when using the computer - have found that you can be too taunt with the computer just as when in manual mode - also it sometimes depends on the thread and number of seams. Therefore I remain on the taunt side but not tight where the quilt is stretched - taunt & smooth / not tight and stretched.

I'm surprised and happy to see that I'm not alone. I quilt with mine pretty taut. Especially when I'm doing SID. I found that I couldn't get a nice straight line if the fabric was too loose. I haven't had and tension or thread breakage issues so I figured it must be fine.

Archived